Enstrom closes doors

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Turd Ferguson

Not homebuilt but only one notch above, Enstrom closes doors and files bankrupcy:

TFF

I don’t think all is lost if the bankruptcy goes right. Hopefully it will put it all straight. That is what us Enstrom users are hoping for. It could go wrong too.

TFF

It’s been owned by China for a while. In general, the Chinese were hoping to sell them in their country. The problem is they don’t really want private pilots. What they want is air shuttles. A cheap Sikorsky S-63 is what the government thinks of when they think helicopters. It was an unrealistic match. What can ruin it all is if the production certificate is detached. It’s all worthless then. Then it will be sell off of tooling and leftover parts. The last two years have been pretty hard over there.

D Hillberg

Better not be like Brantley - The VP Lugnut from Bell promised to keep the PC and make parts as China owners took it all to Chana and Mr Bell VP stabbed everyone in the back. No TC no PC no support at all.
80 odd owners hosed..... Traitorous prick.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
What can ruin it all is if the production certificate is detached. It’s all worthless then. Then it will be sell off of tooling and leftover parts.
I don’t understand why.
I worked in a small airplane factory with no production certificate. It just meant the FAA had to inspect each airplane was my understanding, about 10 per year.

TFF

FAA doesn’t like change. If the certificate is lost, there won’t be enough money to create a new one. Wherever you worked was FAA stable in its operation. Probably legacy of some sort in play. What is left of Grumman American is just a parts house because of moving. Mooney and Bellanca stay in place just in case.

My favorite news story was China’s first helicopter drone. A Brantley. Way out thinking there.

TFF

No. The production certificate is not IP. It is the steps spelled out at the factory to build one accepted by the FAA. Location, placement of tooling, employee training, materials. The FAA grants that and if you loose it, it’s starting all over. I have a friend who bought IP for an STC. He is having to go though this. What happens is you can’t make the money back for what it costs to recertify.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
Well, I think Enstrom needs to shrink from 125 employees to say 10. When I was at Enstrom it looked just like the photo in the article. Nobody building anything.
Production under type certificate only is 21.121

TFF

Union shop. Doesn’t help. There was about 10-20 before it got real quiet. I would call the directors of departments to give parts orders. The normal people I would talk too were making stuff. The normal people making stuff were at home. One of the issues was retiring of the last CEO. He kept things in order. Snowball from there.

PMD

Better not be like Brantley - The VP Lugnut from Bell promised to keep the PC and make parts as China owners took it all to Chana and Mr Bell VP stabbed everyone in the back. No TC no PC no support at all.
80 odd owners hosed..... Traitorous prick.
IIRC, the guy who was the Brantly guy in China tried to buy Beechcraft and when someone realized that was going to see a military contractor in the hands of a less-than-friendly foreign power that deal was squashed. His seemingly bottomless pit of money (as I understand it no longer available) came from a Beijing city-owned investment fund and he used it to buy Superior Air Parts - thus right smack in the middle of not just genav, but E/AB as well. Same guy who bought the Gemini project and dropped that ball - once again right in the E/AB ballpark.

Nothing would make me happier than to see a genuine American pick up the pieces (ALL of the pieces) of Enstrom and put it back together properly. Sure hope those standing by are able to do so.

Last edited:

plncraze

I worked for a Lancair Service Center when they went bankrupt. My boss explained to me that in the case of a business the judge was supposed to do whatever it took to keep the company going. That is how Cessna got them. Still not a really happy ending but it gives hope to optimistic ones out there.