• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Cutting inspection panels in composite fuselage?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtfm

Hi,
The Razorback is now almost true, and I'm covering it with a final coat of nich soft q-cell goo. Final sanding should result in a lovely uniform fuse. I am rubbing coloured chalk on a thin strip of wood, and drawing the wood over the surface. High spots show up instantly.

But on to my question:
Once the fuse is true, and I have made moulds from it, and then vacuum infused the actual fuselage, I will end up with a beautifully smooth fuse out of which I will need to cut the following:
  • Engine access hole. The cowling is integral with the fuselage, so a hole needs to be cut out of it to get the engine in/out
  • Oil inspection flap
  • Petrol cap
  • and various other inspection holes
I have seen Mike Arnold's videos where he explains how to do this, but he leaves out the crucial info about how to do the cutting. What tools does one use? And how does one get the cut so accurate?

Regards,
Duncan

Back