Crashes in the News - Thread

Discussion in 'Rules and Regulations / Flight Safety / Better Pil' started by choppergirl, Jun 8, 2016.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 14, 2019 #2921

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Canadair (mfg) has been gone since 86, so we've been hand making all replacement parts ever since... Maybe it's good training for the maintenance guys for battlefield repairs but - I can't see that making much sense...

1962-3 the airframe was brought into service. Apparently in 2022 we're planning to refit the aircraft and extend it out to 2030+. Just for the snowbirds.

DNDs argument is the tutor is more suited to small airfields. But when did they last do a show at a field that couldn't accommodate a CF18?

Not sure, it's interesting politics...

2. Oct 16, 2019 #2922

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

3. Oct 16, 2019 #2923

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

4. Oct 16, 2019 #2924

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

The pilot was reported to be an accomplished A&P/IA and a detail freak.

Also, in a strange twist, it turns out the pilot was involved with a multi- party deal to purchase my L39. I had the deal locked up, then the guy gets killed.

A small, sometimes tragic world indeed.

5. Oct 16, 2019 #2925

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Why would the FBO employee ignore the decal and fill it with jet fuel even if the pilot requested jet fuel?

bmcj likes this.
  6. Oct 16, 2019 #2926

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

And why would he defeat the nozzle restrictors?

This guy worked hard to get it wrong

bmcj likes this.
  7. Oct 16, 2019 #2927

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Ahh, human communication. I made it a point to restate what my boss was asking me to do, especially if it seemed like a bad course of action.. Yes, sometimes you have to be willing to look like a simpleton, and you can't be a wiseguy about it. But it is way better to invest 30 seconds at that time than to have yourself (and those who work for you) doing the wrong thing for weeks. Or cause a crash.
    The line guy, or his boss, should have had that pilot put his request in writing. That would have gotten his attention.

8. Oct 16, 2019 #2928

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

We don't know the experience level of the lineman; we don't know how, exactly, what the pilot said to him. I can think of combinations of experience and pilot attitude that could have resulted in this, especially if coupled with an outside distraction.

Ron Wanttaja

9. Oct 16, 2019 #2929

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

I agree with you with the stipulation that pumping gas is not a complex process and there are not a lot of rules to learn. #1 should be to NEVER defeat a nozzle restrictor without being absolutely certain why. ANY level of experience should have that down pat on the first hour of the first day on the job.

10. Oct 16, 2019 #2930

BJC

BJC

BJC

As a former line boy, I can tell you that many pilots just said “Top it off” or “Fill it up” then walked away without giving a thought to their responsibility for proper refueling. Many even said something along the line of “Check the oil and bring it up to full, if needed.” Then most get in and go without even checking the fuel caps, much less the oil dip stick.

Sure, the line boy made some serious mistakes. But the pilot did not fulfill his basic responsibility.

BJC

11. Oct 16, 2019 #2931

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Pilot inattention is common, so it falls on the fuel seller. That's why the fuel company is likely to get sued.
    Can't sue a dead pilot.

12. Oct 17, 2019 #2932

wktaylor

wktaylor

wktaylor

In the 1980's one of our T-37B landed at a naval base. The aircrew requested refuel and gaseous-O2 [GOX] refill.

The T-37 has a WWII low pressure O2 system [thin wall steel/strapped O2 bottles, 500-PSI MAX, for battle damage]. The sailor servicing the T-37B, didn't bother reading the inter-service manual with data for transient USAF Acft, and instead, got creative and found an adapter for his high pressure [1500-PSI] GOX servicing equipment to match with the T-37B GOX low pressure refill port. I think You can see where this is going.

It was estimated that the [2] GOX tanks ruptured-simultaneously at about 1000-PSI, severing the aft fuselage and injuring the mechanic. Thank God there was no fire.

13. Oct 17, 2019 #2933

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Back when I was in the USAF there was a safety bulletin floating around concerning servicing of tires. Apparently a Crew Chief used the high pressure N2 cart to service the nose tire of an F-15. The resulting explosion essentially tore the kid in half at the pelvis and threw him against an adjacent piece of ground support equipment. The pictures were completely uncensored and graphic beyond any horror movie.

14. Oct 17, 2019 #2934

wktaylor

wktaylor

wktaylor

Military and transport Acft have really high pressure tires [300-to-500-PSI]. In the USAF Mishap world we treat inflated/damaged tires as rubber-bombs... just waiting to catastrophically blow-out and kill some one... until safely deflated... even days/weeks after the mishap.

NOTE.
    All high pressure tires and hydraulic accumulators should be serviced with nitrogen. Hot/outgassing rubber [locked/dragging brakes]... or over-heated hydraulic hydrocarbon fluids... combined with high pressure 'air' [~35% O2 @+500-PSI or @+1500-PSI] can make a terrible [chemical] detonation. Nitrogen servicing eliminates this detonation hazard and gives the tire/system the opportunity to safely vent-off pressure [blow-out valves/plugs]; and/or the time to cool down.

Another sad safety lesson...
    In the late 1990s or early 2000s, a mechanic was working on a running CFM56, without an inlet screen. I'm unsure if the fan-cowl was open or closed. In a moment of inattention another mechanic running the engine [cockpit] 'wicked-up' the power AND the mechanic next to the engine 'edged' into the inlet 'stay-out - danger zone'. The mechanic was sucked forward to... then around the inlet lip... into the fan-disk. As a mishap investigator, doing occasional work on fighter engines, 'a friend' sent me the photos... and yes...
    I did everything I could to suppress the digital photos... but somehow a few managed to circulate a while back.

15. Oct 17, 2019 #2935

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/229517
    Not even sure where to go... :)

16. Oct 17, 2019 #2936

Voidhawk9

Voidhawk9

Voidhawk9

Hmm, something does not compute with that one. Headwinds do not cause an aircraft to lose altitude. Lowering the nose will not induce a stall..!

wsimpso1 likes this.
  17. Oct 17, 2019 #2937

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

28mph is stall so... 28mph headwinds...

So engine issues perhaps? It will cruise 70s so im a bit befuddled.

18. Oct 17, 2019 #2938

Voidhawk9

Voidhawk9

Voidhawk9

The aircraft flies relative to the air not the ground, so wind is not a factor in the stall.

Quite possibly the strange sight picture of the terrain going the wrong way led to pilot miscontrol; it happens from time to time in strong winds, usually at low level in the pattern.

19. Oct 18, 2019 #2939

leifarm

leifarm

leifarm

Hitting lee side rotor from a hill or mountain in strong winds simultaneously loses you speed and altitude. It can sometimes feel like the air just disappeared and you are free falling.

20. Oct 18, 2019 #2940

RSD

RSD

RSD

Any word on why the Snowbirds Tudor pilot needed to eject?