Crash-resistant fuel tanks/fuel cells: Making 'em or finding a source

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
I'd be interested in any ideas for making/buying crash-resistant custom fuel tanks or fuel cells (i.e. a tank with a flexible bladder). I'd like to put them in the wing behind the spar, I like the idea of thick cross-linked HDPE or similarly tough, non-brittle material.

The auto-racing versions are nice, but tend to be rectangular. What I'd want is a wedge shaped tank approx 8" high (at the spar) and tapering to zero. 12"-15" wide with a length of 30"-35".

So, maybe it's possible to fabricate tough tanks like this in a home shop (ideas?). I'd guess rotamolding them would be very costly for a small run, due to tooling costs. I'm checking out marine supply places hoping a boating supply house makes tanks of approx the right shape.

Ideas and thoughts are solicited.

skeeter_ca

How does a fuel tank resist crashes? Does it say "Hey, there's gonna be a crash over there i think i'll go the other way" or "If i don't fly i won't crash so i'll just stay here on the ground". :ban:

skeeter

bmcj

HBA Supporter
Now a serious reply...

While it would be heavy, I think a thick bladder with a chainmail envelope might work. On a more exotic approach, could you imbed Kevlar into a flexible bladder substrate and still retain the impenetrability of Kevlar with the flexibility of a bladder?