• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Composite beam h/tw ratio

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
J

jordiboronat

Hi there,

I'm trying to engineer a composite carbon boom for a dinghy. This basically behaves like a simply supported beam with a no-centered vertical point load.

I'm setting up a spreadsheet using maximum strains approach to check the laminate on top/bottom flanges and max strength in webs. I've UD plies running on top and bottom of a rectangular profile and Double biax or -/+45 wrap over the whole section to cope with shear on vertical walls and encapsulate the UD (like a shear web).

After some load calculations I get a design vertical force of 4700 N to start with on a 80x40 interior diameter beam(long sides are placed vertical).

For the tops I've limited strain to 0.6/1.2 % compression/tension respectively for UD carbon and a maximum deflection of the overall beam to 2% of the span. For the shear, carried by the double biax on the webs I've used the properties stated on ISO 12215 (small craft) for the fiber. With a τu of 204 n/mm2 for a 50% Wf and the approach τ=f/a I get a minimum thickness of 0.18 mm (or 0.09 mm for each web).

The wall thicknes seems to me way to thin. Even using a fos of 3 it would seem thin walls to me and I'm concerned about the dimension proportions h/tw (may be local shear buckling in the profile)?.

Please could you advice on how to asset this problem?

Back