• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Commercial operations of LSA's

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PTAirco

I came across an ad in Barnstormers where a person in Florida is advertising a business for sale consisting of an ELSA on floats , apparently giving rides to tourists near a major hotel. The aircraft is a Quicksilver. Now I have often thought that that type of business would be a fun way to earn a few cents during the summer, but I can see no legal way of doing this. As a E-LSA it's experimental, therefore you cannot use it for hire or compensation.

I suppose the whole concept would be to give people a fun, ultralight-type experience and I know it goes on in some countries, but as far as I can tell, in the US it is impossible to legally make money using anything that does not have a full, normal category airworthiness certificate.

Now factory-built LSA's can be used for training and you can charge people, but can you legally carry a passenger who is paying you for a joyride? (Assuming one had the appropriate CPL , insurance etc.)

Am I missing something? I had a good look through the FAA website and can't find anything specific relating to this. Not that it might not be there, but they don't make it easy to find.

Back