CH750

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

cdlwingnut

HBA Supporter
Log Member
If you enjoy building then go for it. 70 isn't that old and even if you don't finish it if you have fun building then it was worth it. Any of us can keel over anytime, If i do tomorrow and my RagWing doesn't get done it was still worth my time building it since I have enjoyed every minute of the process.
so again go for it, oh and post a build log, i love those.

ddsrph

If you enjoy building then go for it. 70 isn't that old and even if you don't finish it if you have fun building then it was worth it. Any of us can keel over anytime, If i do tomorrow and my RagWing doesn't get done it was still worth my time building it since I have enjoyed every minute of the process.
so again go for it, oh and post a build log, i love those.
That’s a good philosophy. I built a RV 9 tail once and was getting close a on building a clipped wing super cub using some Colt wings. I ended up selling the project three years ago as I was building a new retirement size house and was short on time. Building a CH 750 would be an easy project for anyone who had the time to devote to the project. Building the airframe would go fast but would only be about 50% of the overall project.

Rhino

....I would say if you did nothing else and put in 40-50 hours a week, you could probably have one flying in less than a year but more than six months. Five years plus if you just want to build on weekends and when you feel like it....
If you have building skills and do 40-50 per week on a CH 750, it will take way less time than that. Official average build time is 10 weeks, and many builders who can devote a full time effort regularly beat that mark. Even some weeknight and weekend builders finish their plane in a few months. They’ve built different Zenith models start to finish at Airventure Oshkosh as far back as 1976, taking only 7or 8 days. I recommend you check out Zenith Builders and Flyers, and if the schedule works out, attend one of their builder workshops. You’ll discover first hand how much easier it is to build a 750 than something like an RV-3. You’ll also get a demo flight in your chosen aircraft, weather and aircraft availability permitting.

I live in southern TN..... own my own hangar and have a heated and air conditioned garage at home so have a good place to work which is very important.
Small World. My wife and I are in the process of building a house and hangar in Chandelle Airpark at KTHA. The hangar will be heated and air conditioned, though maybe not from the very start. Then I hope to get started on my 750 STOL kit that I’ve owned for more years than I want to admit. I broke my back several years ago and I was a world class procrastinator before then, so I never started my kit, except for the rudder I built at the builder workshop I attended at the Zenith factory. I never really had a decent build space that wasn’t already occupied by other stuff either, so having my own hangar will be a Godsend. My doctors are predicting a better resolution on my back by then, so I have my fingers crossed.

Scooper

HBA Supporter
I have a couple of friends currently wrapping up a CH750 Cruzer build (from a quick build kit) and 500 - 700 hours seems to be about right. Building in a nearby hangar without having to commute more than a few minutes is a huge advantage.

I own a CH601XL-B Zodiac with an O-200-A and love it. I'll be 77 in a couple of weeks, fly ~100 hours a year, and don't see giving it up anytime soon. I've been using Basic Med for two years (since early May, 2017) and have thought about getting another 172, but the Zodiac meets my mission requirements 95% of the time and I can maintain it and perform the annual condition inspections myself, so my operating costs are a lot less than my 172 was.

Last edited:
Group Builder