CH750

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

ddsrph

I am interested in building a CH750. Mainly because I have a Lycoming 0235 C2C with 890 hours since new. If I was a little younger I would have started yesterday but not sure if at age 70 with an excellent RV3 if this is such a good idea. Any CH 750 builders out there with any advice on how big of a project this is. I may just sell my engine and spent the time flying the RV3. It was my first and only tailwheel airplane and I have flown in about 350 hours so far. It also has a 0235 and cruises at 160mph.

Attachments

TFF

The old saying if you want to fly, fly. If you want to build, build. They are not the same thing. I would keep the RV no matter. If you want a project too, do it. Just don’t replace the flying airplane with a project expecting it will be ready in a couple of months. I would say if you did nothing else and put in 40-50 hours a week, you could probably have one flying in less than a year but more than six months. Five years plus if you just want to build on weekends and when you feel like it. Essentially if you build like it’s your job, you should be able to do it relatively fast in building parlance. I would not sell a flying airplane until the other is in the air.

Mark Schoening

HBA Supporter
Just sold my Cassutt, My RV-9 and ordered a Zenith Cruzer Kit. This will be my winter project. Already have a 0-320 so that'll be the engine I'll use.
Why you ask? I have a Cherokee 180 that I use often, It's just so convenient, and easy to get in and out of. (Wife and I Being on the north side of 70)
But, My primary mission has changed. I now want Cub like performance (low and slow) with ease of entry and simplicity. (VFR) Just to get up there and lolly-gag around, go to breakfast, and fly-ins.
I enjoy the building process, but need a simple project, easy to build, and NO "on your head" contortionist type building. Zenith fits the bill.
I chose the Zenith Cruzer 'cause I fly mostly from hard surface and grass strips - NO sand bar flying, 300 ft takeoff is fine. If I really like it, then, I'll sell the Cherokee.
They say 400-500 hrs to build. I'm planning 24 weeks @30 hrs per week = 720 hrs. of building time over the winter. Be a busy winter!

Last edited:

Pops

Log Member
Just sold my Cassutt, My RV-9 and ordered a Zenith Cruzer Kit. This will be my winter project. Already have a 0-320 so that'll be the engine I'll use.
Why you ask? I have a Cherokee 180 that I use often, It's just so convenient, and easy to get in and out of. (Wife and I Being on the north side of 70)
But, My primary mission has changed. I now want Cub like performance (low and slow) with ease of entry and simplicity. (VFR) Just to get up there and lolly-gag around, go to breakfast, and fly-ins.
I enjoy the building process, but need a simple project, easy to build, and NO "on your head" contortionist type building. Zenith fits the bill.
I chose the Zenith Cruzer 'cause I fly mostly from hard surface and grass strips - NO sand bar flying, 300 ft takeoff is fine. If I really like it, then, I'll sell the Cherokee.
They say 400-500 hrs to build. I'm planning 24 weeks @30 hrs per week = 720 hrs. of building time over the winter. Be a busy winter!
I'm on the very far side of 70 and hope I can get the JMR finished and able to fly it for 30 years :)

Mark Schoening

HBA Supporter
I'm on the very far side of 70 and hope I can get the JMR finished and able to fly it for 30 years :)
I PLAN on being active and cognizant of my surroundings at least till I use up my investments and savings. Once I'm broke, then all bets are off....Or, until over breakfast I say to My wife, "Do I know you?"

cdlwingnut

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I'm pretty sure the day i look at my wife and say "do i know you" might be my last so i suppose all bets will be off

Bill-Higdon

I am interested in building a CH750. Mainly because I have a Lycoming 0235 C2C with 890 hours since new. If I was a little younger I would have started yesterday but not sure if at age 70 with an excellent RV3 if this is such a good idea. Any CH 750 builders out there with any advice on how big of a project this is. I may just sell my engine and spent the time flying the RV3. It was my first and only tailwheel airplane and I have flown in about 350 hours so far. It also has a 0235 and cruises at 160mph.
I know lady who's building a 750 to fit her body, she has troubles with most of the Cessna's Piper's etc

narfi

I talked to them at their booth at the great Alaskan aviation gathering today and looked at a 750 stol (not SD)

The SD has been at the top of my list for a while.

They recommended SD if ever wanting floats (GW and structure)

The bubble doors on the 750stol prevent then swinging up close to the wing, you really have to duck your head to not hit it and I'm sure I would hit my head a LOT and I'm only 5'10"

I haven't built one, but from what I've read and from talking to them, their newer kits are very quick to put together. (300ish hours for someone who knows what they are doing) I assume a bit longer for a learning curve but still.... that's pretty quick and easy.

The new kits are CNC cut and match drilled already, you literally cleco parts together and start riveting.

Victor Bravo

Of all the homebuilt aircraft projects you could choose, the 750 looks like it will be just about the easiest one to do. And they have a very good reputation for a very large percentage of them actually getting completed. And a large community of factory support, builder support, and builder resources. So if you want to try your hand at building, the 750 is a very very good choice.

Whatever you do, if you sell an RV-3 for any reason you will be arrested and prosecuted for criminal insanity. That's the best overall flying homebuilt airplane there's ever been.

Wayne

Log Member
The Cruzer is a nice build - I have north of 800 build hours in mine almost ready for paint, and the other Cruzer we built here at 1C5 took more than 800 as well. You might look at the build videos produced by Homebuilt Help (Jon Croke) - A dedicated single person builder would be quicker I'm sure.

I gave 5 rides in it last week and it reminded me - people love the plane for sight seeing and visibility - it really is superb at that. With an O200 D (the new "lightweight" one) it is a 105 mph plane (depending on your prop/pitch) and takes off/lands in pretty short distances.

I would say landings with flaps feel odd due to the fact that the plane is light and draggy already. Adding flaps is almost overkill and we usually land ours without them. If we do use flaps power is usually required on final so not exactly a big deal.

The only thing I see here that might be less than optimal is the O235, which may be a little on the heavy side for useful load. I know the design allows for an engine up near 300 pounds or something like that but the O200 Cruzer we built came in at 850 pounds and is operated as Light Sport so only has 470 pounds available when operated at a gross of 1320 pounds. The design max is 1,440 which gives you a little room if operated at that weight.

There was a really good build log for a STOL Zenith 750 on HBA and the guy (Mark?) used a 235 and I seem to recall he was a bit heavy. I have a log here, but due to being so busy all the time it has petered out a little.

I put a UL Power in mine which should be powerful and light but is a bit complex from a wiring and power stand point. I also have a Grand Rapids Sport SX EFIS in mine which having flown a Cruzer for 35 or so hours now is overkill. For our mission, at least, a six pack + tablet is more than fine.

I think you will have fun with the plane - and if you want to go places quickly you'd best keep the RV.

Cy V

Does anyone know if there have been any issues with the 750 like there's been with the 650?

ddsrph

Thanks all for the replies. I definitely plan to keep the RV3 as long as I continue to fly. I just turned 70 but am a runner and weigh the same 160 I did at 25 so hopefully have a few good years left. I plan to fly the RV3 up to the factory for a tour soon. I have a fair amount of building experience and aircraft tools so building would be no problem. Mark where are you located with your 0320 engined cruzer project? I think the cruzer would be best for me also if I decide to start.

Mark Schoening

HBA Supporter
Thanks all for the replies. I definitely plan to keep the RV3 as long as I continue to fly. I just turned 70 but am a runner and weigh the same 160 I did at 25 so hopefully have a few good years left. I plan to fly the RV3 up to the factory for a tour soon. I have a fair amount of building experience and aircraft tools so building would be no problem. Mark where are you located with your 0320 engined cruzer project? I think the cruzer would be best for me also if I decide to start.
KRHI.....Northern WI. I ordered a Cruzer kit, to be picked up this Sept. It's a winter project. When visiting Mexico, Roger D. said they are booked out to July with orders.
Talked with Roger on the use of a 320, He said it was well within the weight limits..( well within engine install wt. of 350 LB - now that the new nosewheel system is standard. ) Just stick with lightweight systems. Said quite a few are being built with the 320.
My E2D with carb and slick mags is 245 lbs.....with Vetterman 1-1/2 in exhaust, lite starter, B&C ALT, wood prop, baffling and misc. comes to 300# or so.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I'm 20 years younger so put that in perspective when reading my reply.

Nothing in my life has been predictable. I just know that the more I work on things I enjoy the better my life becomes. I really think, as I reflect back on almost 50 years, the goal is more of a guideline you visit periodically. The focus should be on the process, the journey.

So go for it. Go on that adventure. Meet new people and discover. You can still be a explorer at 70. I had a friend who was building a Long Ez in to his 90's. He died with s smile.

My dad always said "what's the worse case scenario". The worse case scenario is you'll have lots of fun.

ddsrph

KRHI.....Northern WI. I ordered a Cruzer kit, to be picked up this Sept. It's a winter project. When visiting Mexico, Roger D. said they are booked out to July with orders.
Talked with Roger on the use of a 320, He said it was well within the weight limits..( well within engine install wt. of 350 LB - now that the new nosewheel system is standard. ) Just stick with lightweight systems. Said quite a few are being built with the 320.
My E2D with carb and slick mags is 245 lbs.....with Vetterman 1-1/2 in exhaust, lite starter, B&C ALT, wood prop, baffling and misc. comes to 300# or so.
Mark
I live in southern TN. Many years ago I spent 4 years at Marquette U in Milwaukee. With light weight starter and alt and basic instruments either of our engines should work great.
Little Scrapper
I think that is good advice and is one reason I am considering the project. I own my own hangar and have a heated and air conditioned garage at home so have a good place to work which is very important.