Celera 500L (was: More Vaporware)

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

pictsidhe

This one is rather short on vapour and high on ware. Maybe it will fly, maybe it won't. But, it is getting built.

mm4440

An attempt at a low drag, Klienschmidt(sp?) body with huge scoops. Heavy engine(s), long forebody, and poor visibility for pilot. Other than that, great.

pictsidhe

Goldschmied body. No tests after Goldschmied's have confirmed the idea to work. Glauert developed some very thick suction slot airfoils in the UK which could be useful to compare theory and tests with.
The Celera just looks like an attempt a a laminar body to me. It will be fun to keep the flow from tripping with windows, doors, gear etc at it's high Re. It does have huge scoops, lots of cooling air must be required.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I'm certain we've discussed this one before but I can't find the thread.

drstress

I kid you not. They stole my idea. This is identical to an aircraft I designed in 1986 except mine was smaller. I was going to power it with my ZL-1.

What you do is take your favorite laminar flow airfoil and sweep it around a central axis. Presto, a laminar fuselage with minimal drag and everything, except don't actually fly it since in the real world there are excrescences to trip the flow (windows, entry doors, landing gear doors, etc.)

Question: Can the pilot actually see the runway when flaring for landing? (I donno', its down there somewhere.)

And what about that big honking vertical stab. (Did you notice? They had to distort the smooth design to lift up the prop for clearance. I suspect that ventral fin is there more to protect the prop rather than give any directional stability.)

There is obviously a lot of money going into this. There are a lot people that will shell out big money in the hope a sexy design will sell. Who cares if it will work or not. (BD-5 anybody?)

Now where are those drawing I made. (I didn't have CAD back then)... and where is the phone number of that blood-sucking lawyer I knew? Oh that's right, it doesn't matter, they are all blood-sucking, kind of like dentists trying to convince you they can treat gingivitis.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Yeah, I remember the similar but more distant photo from years ago, with that fire extinguisher and people with hands in pockets.
Looks like that tail skid might allow maybe 1 or 2 degrees takeoff rotation.
Or maybe it's a VTOL?

pictsidhe

Sadly, simply rotating an airfoil around an axis doesn't work due to 3d effects. You need to rotate your favourite pressure distribution around an axis instead.

I think...

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Sadly, simply rotating an airfoil around an axis doesn't work due to 3d effects. You need to rotate your favourite pressure distribution around an axis instead.

I think...
In a non-lifting environment, you would do a body of revolution with the desired pressure distribution worked out per the above. See Carmichael's book.

Then this bird will have lift with upwash ahead and downwash behind, which will distort the flow and drive sort sort of a curve along the midline...

Then the breaks for all those doors and windows will trip the BL.

I want to hear how it flies.

Billski

Tiger Tim

As a side note, the fuselage profile of the Lockheed Constellation is said to be as close to a certain airfoil as they could reasonably get. Of course deviations were made for the windscreen and an aft upsweep to carry the tail, and later the addition of wx radar.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
We see so many ideas on this board that have small/no chance of commercial success.
If they would only go public and issue stock, so we could short sell them. There's big money to be made. Someone should start a "Kickstarter Futures" market where people could sell buy and put options on these various ideas. I'll leave the details to the experts.

Victor Bravo

That aircraft might be the ultimate development of a plug for a fuselage mold that I saw being built in Tehachapi many years ago. I'll have to check on that next time I visit Tehachapi.

plncraze

HBA Supporter
It looks like a Piaggio that gained lot of weight. Given how desirable Avanti's are it looks like these guys picked up a cheap one bloated out the fuselage and held a fundraiser. What the world needs is a supersonic King Air. Just kidding

pictsidhe

The panel breaks for doors may be dealt with by applying a judicious amount of suction. There's been some research on this and it can work.

Victor Bravo

Bob, am I remembering right... is this aircraft what eventually became of that huge fuselage plug in Harald Buettner's shop way back in the day? I remember he even said it was going to be powered by a V8 engine WITH a car transmission still on it.