Caution:. Wake turbulence

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Marc Bourget

The Wills brothers were neighbors in SoCal. Chris, I believe, was constructing his first hang glider when I was told of his efforts, I visited him (common friends) and discovered he was using Galvanized steel from something similar to Simpson fittings for wing brackets(?). One of my mentors at the time, Don Pridham, was a mechanical engineer and A&P instructor at Orange Coast College. Brought him over and shared the mentoring, Chris did well with the input and went on to greater things. Don, at the time, was finishing his Master's Thesis on the subject of converting the 0-290 GPU for aircraft use. These comments have brought back lots of memories.

Thanks,

Reactions: BJC

timberwolf8199

Heh...spend 10 minutes on a motorcycle behind a truck and you will start thinking about passing said truck at the highest rate of overtake possible..I have almost been blown off my bike (which is a big, heavy Triumph) by buffeting.
I'm well aware. I only recently upgraded to a large bike. For the past 12 years I've been riding a little 500cc Honda for my daily commuter.

Pops

Log Member
Many years ago when I was a little younger and dumber I had a bet with a co-worker. He had a Dodge van with a big engine, I had a VW bug with a very good strong modified engine. I bet him that he couldn't pull away from me on the interstate for 30 miles even going up over the mountains. I drafted the Dodge van all the way. Cracked open the little wing glass on each door window. When I pulled up in the draft the wind noise stopped and I had to let off the accelerator quite a bit so I wouldn't hit his rear bumper. I could pull to the right a little and the wind noise on the right window would start, pull to the left and the noise would start. The Dodge Van pulled my little VW all the way. I won the bet. He said he didn't know VW's was so fast. Don't really know how fast we were going, the speedometer was always pegged.