Busted

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Pilot-34

Lol notice the picture isn’t the aircraft.
Merely the “type”
It must be a regular thing?

Tiger Tim

Lol notice the picture isn’t the aircraft.
Merely the “type”
It must be a regular thing?
I wonder if maybe when first published there was a generic picture of a UL trike there. It’s not uncommon for articles to have their photos updated and not far fetched that they’d forget to tweak the caption to suit.

Riggerrob

There was another escape - from East Germany or Czechoslovakia - where an entire family flew out in a home-built airplane.

BoKu

Pundit
HBA Supporter
Wow, that's a pretty sophisticated rig! it looks like the pilot just lands, releases the rack, and immediately takes off again for the next run. Too bad they cheaped out on an old 503 which probably overheated and seized. Now the whole thing is seized.

Victor Bravo

(drumroll...) The 21st Century Dope Wagon design competition on HBA!

(Matthew will be pissed that I got this out before he did)

Fritz can be the judge of the competition, but then he'll have to put his badge back on and put the cuffs on whoever wins!

Pilot-34

Seems like I heard somewhere that they were buying used jet airliner‘s in filling them with dope?
Imagine for a moment dope airlines service between Mexico and Canada over flying but not landing at the United States
Service via 727 with 100 potential DB Cooper is on board each of which has a parachute and a backpack full of dope
Imagine the in-flight announcements
This is your pilot we are now flying in the altitude of approximately 25,000 feet With a airs speed of 150 kn we are coming up on the departure Point for Omaha
With those of you departing for Omaha please depart by the rear steps immediately......

and of course when they land in Canada there’s no dope on board!

Hephaestus

Half surprised they still run manned aircraft. Guess people are cheaper than technology?

thump

still trying to figure out how this thing works now on posting, my bad

Last edited:

CAVU Mark

Homeland security agent told me all they need to do to down an ultralite is hover overhead. They come down quickly and possibly not in a safe manner.

flitzerpilot

There was another escape - from East Germany or Czechoslovakia - where an entire family flew out in a home-built airplane.
Riggerrob, That wasn't a homebuilt it was a Zlin 326 flown by the Czech aerobatic champion, Ladislav Bezak. He had been banned from competing in the up-coming World Aerobatic Championships because he was bound to win and the East German host govt. made it clear that if their Team didn't win, their substantial order from the Zlin firm would be in jeopardy. This was the last straw for this company test pilot after all his hard practice, living under the oppressive Communist regime where few freedoms that we enjoyed in the West could be exercised.

He'd cached fuel cans on the far side of the company aerodrome and arranged for his family, wife and three children to meet him there. He took-off having declared to the tower that he was carrying out a maintenance flight. By the time they were alert to the fact that he'd packed everyone into the two seater, he was airborne, en route for the Austrian border where there were two waiting helicopters hovering on the Austrian side to guide him safely through the automatic gunfire that would have erupted had he tried to cross the border without that safe corridor.

Before long a Czech MiG swept alongside, flaps and gear down, the pilot gesticulating for Bezak to return. Bezak nodded and began to turn back and the MiG pilot accelerated away. Immediately Bezak reversed the turn and made for a patch of low cloud at maximum speed. The MiG completed a wide turn and closed in for the kill. Bezak waited until the last second before the MiG opened fire before the Zlin rolled wings vertical, apparently making a hard left turn: the MiG corrected for the turn but the Zlin wasn't there! The brilliant aerobatic pilot that he was had applied negative g into a hard outside turn to the right providing a vital minute to gain the Austrian border before the MiG could close in again. His family were subject to a terrifying experience including both positive and negative g while crammed into a cockpit designed for two and constraining Bezak's ability to fully manipulate the controls, but he still out-manoeuvred the jet fighter.

Last I heard he'd emigrated to Canada. I met him only once, at my brother, Neil's, memorial service in London. A great character and a fine man.