"Bladeless" Propulsion

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Aesquire

Stupidly dishonest to say there are no moving parts.

Seriously, no one else noticed the front ducts retract into the passenger leg space?

Models have typically enormous amounts of power compared to full size aircraft, and in this case unless they've made a real breakthrough it's even more true. Count me as hyper skeptical. I have my doubts it would fly in conventional winged flight full scale with 400 pounds of humans much less do VTOL with Tardis retractable bits.

I could be wrong.

I'm still waiting for Blackfly to come to market, and it has actually flown with a human. This is Less Real than my Moller M400 in my imaginary volcano lair.

Dan Thomas

It's just another Dyson fan idea. Not that efficient at all. It would need some serious turbine bleed air to lift anything.

1614446702294.png

gtae07

I'm not really sure what the advantages of the Dyson fans are, other than looking sort of cool and not providing an obvious enticement to small children for the insertion of body parts, objects, liquids, or other substances.

Hephaestus

I'm not really sure what the advantages of the Dyson fans are, other than looking sort of cool and not providing an obvious enticement to small children for the insertion of body parts, objects, liquids, or other substances.
eductors - they do move a greater volume of air than the fan that's hidden in the base does by itself.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
“A unique propulsion system that uses turbo-compressors ...with no moving parts”.

Yup, that will be a unique turbo-compressor.

BJC
Yep, that’s kind of like ignoring the turbojet art of a jet engine and saying that the tail one nozzle generates all the thrust with no moving parts.

trimtab

Induction is important in aeropropulsion already...it's not new. I'm just not clear on how this is an advantage as it is used here.

Can anyone chime in? Flow induction is inelastic...that is, energy is not as conserved, while momentum can be.

trimtab

“A unique propulsion system that uses turbo-compressors ...with no moving parts”. Yup, that will be a unique turbo-compressor.
This still works on people for some reason. It's like saying electric cars are zero emissions, nuclear energy is zero emissions or renewable, etc. I could argue that powering my home on 'D' cells from WalMart is zero emissions.

These arguments are solely made for the Professor Hills out there selling a marching band to a new group of investors.

Hephaestus

Sure, but energy is lost in the process.
Wouldn't claim different, duct losses would likely be massive - but I'm pretty sure that calculation is above my paygrade :)

Does it work in certain scenarios - like the dyson fan - yup.

Is it more efficient than a propeller - I seriously doubt it.

trimtab

What does "Does it work in certain scenarios - like the dyson fan - yup. " mean?

You use power to increase the pressure and speed of a small mass flow rate. Then you release it in an annulus. It inducts air inelastically. A pleasant flow of low speed air is the result. If you double the mass flow rate, you lose half the power.

Tiger Tim

I wonder if I could get a set of these 3D printed for a radio controlled A-10 to confuse the crap out of the local RC club members...

Aesquire

The sales pitch on The Dyson fans is they supply a smooth flow of air and don't make sounds "warble" as they pass through regular fan blades. That's true.

But they aren't silent, they make a high pitched whine as the turbine in the base spins at very high rpm and moves air at high speed into the duct ring that turns ve!ocity into pressure. Then pressure into speed, dragging outside air with it at much lower speed.

My brain hurts just contemplating the math on cubic feet per minute divided by watts consumed.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
This investment opportunity exists (and thrives) only in the same physics and logic universe as the cartoons most of us grew up with. Acme Products, Wile E. Coyote surviving a fall of 3000 feet and becoming an accordion, Daffy Duck surviving a shotgun blast to the face, etc.