"Bladeless" Propulsion

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Highplains

Entrained air flow, a small tributary in fluid dynamics. I have seen the concept greatly increase the power in two cycle Schnuerle ported engines. As to this application, I don’t think there is enough duct area to significantly scale up to full size.

Sockmonkey

I think you would do better to use bleed air from a small gas turbine this to blow air through a slot along the upper surface of the wing to provide full-span USB lift in addition to thrust.
Then your engine and wing can be optimized for high-speed cruise and still have a reasonable landing distance.
When cruising, most of the bleed air would be fed back into the engine for horizontal thrust.

Dan Thomas

Entrained air flow, a small tributary in fluid dynamics. I have seen the concept greatly increase the power in two cycle Schnuerle ported engines. As to this application, I don’t think there is enough duct area to significantly scale up to full size.
The effect on engines is de to the pulsating nature of the exhaust. Each pulse generates a wave in the duct that pulls the succeeding pulse out, improving scavenging and intake flow. Steady-state flow as in the Dyson fan doesn't get such benefits.

Doran Jaffas

This investment opportunity exists (and thrives) only in the same physics and logic universe as the cartoons most of us grew up with. Acme Products, Wile E. Coyote surviving a fall of 3000 feet and becoming an accordion, Daffy Duck surviving a shotgun blast to the face, etc.
Really when you think about it those were pretty violent shows for us tender age little ones. And now we have?? Anyway, gravity didn't really seem to play a part in the physics part of what happens to something when it falls that far or get shot at close range. Unlike airplanes that always are subject to the laws of physics no matter what they are.

leviterande

Talking from extensive propulsion compressor/airflow redirection/coanda experiments. I can assure you - without trying to be insulting anyone - that this idea AT FULL SIZE if it ever "takes off" the required amount of power will make a Harrier in VTOL mode a glider in comparison and it would produce a heat/noise source to rival a volcano. Marketing is the word