Quantcast

Between-the-war aircraft replicas

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Which between-the-war aircraft replica

• Total voters

cvairwerks

I know of one He 51 full scale replica in work. Huge project and lots of parts. The builder was working on a second set of wings due to a design issue. I haven't seen an update on the project in a couple of years now.

I also know of a full scale P-35 project that is ongoing.

Mad MAC

The Hawker Hind, Hart, Audax, Demon, Osprey, Hartebeest, Hardy (think I got all the models) family may have some appeal, two seats, built in large numbers (1800 or so) and operated by 25+ countries. It also was powered by a V12 or radial giving anyone who finishes one lots of options for power plant, detail fittings and paint schemes. it was out completely of service by 1939, but it is more to do with the numbers produced.

larr

OP ruled out I-16 in first post.
I realize that. The OP's goal was to find interesting or significant military aircraft from the early 1930's that were mostly out of service by WWII. This is somewhat contradictory, as a well designed aircraft from this period should make it into WWII.
The aircraft selected basically straddle the end of the biplane era into the beginning of the monoplane era.
The fact that the I-16 was a useful aircraft in WWII is a testament to it's forward looking modern design (for the period).
As well, I really like it's GeeBee looks.

ScaleBirdsScott

I know they aren't quite the theme, but that still barely squeeze into the contention would be the Heinkel He-100 and He-112. Both saw minimal meaningful use, and certainly before the formal start of WWII.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Whatever you do, don't imagine a purple hippopotamus!

All this talk about the Polikarpov I-16 ***not*** being what the OP had in mind has me thinking about little else. A two-seater with fixed gear would even be true to history as an I-16 UTI/UTI-4 trainer. You could even have skis!

I-16UTI.jpg i16_015.jpg polikarpov_uti_4_by_hylajaponica-d1mirid.jpg

Swampyankee

My intent was to get some planes from an important, largely ignored, era in military aviation history. I felt that aircraft that had a significant role in WWII would keep that from happening.

larr

I would think that it is more largely of forgotten era, and for generally good reasons.
Generally, the aircraft you selected were transitional aircraft but also flawed aircraft on the way to the monoplane fighters of WWII.
There is also the issue of replica size and construction, the I-16 is close to LSA size as is and of construction similar to homebuilts.
Okay, enough of the advertisement.
Are you looking for the best of the worst? Planes that almost got it right?
In that case, how about the Consolidated P-30?
060907-F-1234P-008.jpg

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
If you are considering prototypes, one of my favorite pre-war British designs is the Martin-Baker MB.2, which would have done a lot to alleviate the fears of running out of Hurricanes and Spitfires during the Battle of Britain. Similar thinking also spawned the Miles M.20, but that's a definite WWII project. See the attached cool old articles from FLIGHT on the MB.2.

GEcflR5.jpg

Attachments

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
I thought this was for military airplanes. The Miles Hawk racers (and that beautiful Miles Spoarrowhawk!), and the Percival Gulls... and Roscoe's Meteor... are all civil.

Swampyankee

It's not on the list, but I would vote for the Polikarpov I-16 as the most significant inter-war era fighter.
The first all metal, cantilever low wing monoplane, retractable landing gear fighter.
View attachment 59153View attachment 59154
It did make it into WWII, but so did the Peashoter.
I think the P-26 was operated by a couple of squadrons in the Philippines Army Air Corps (not USAAF) and by the Chinese; the I-16 was served in large numbers against the Luftwaffe. (although you may accuse me of being inconsistent, if you choose)

Last edited: