Between-the-war aircraft replicas

Discussion in 'Warbirds / Warbird Replicas' started by Swampyankee, Feb 12, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

?

Which between-the-war aircraft replica

1. Nieuport-Delage NiD 42

3.7%
  2. Dewoitine D.500/501

11.1%
  3. Arado Ar 64

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Heinkel He 51

3.7%
  5. Armstrong Whitworth Siskin

7.4%
  6. Hawker Nimrod

25.9%
  7. Boeing F4B

25.9%
  8. Boeing P-26

22.2%
  9. Nieuport-Delage NiD 42

3.7%
  10. Dewoitine D.500/501

11.1%
  11. Arado Ar 64

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Heinkel He 51

3.7%
  13. Armstrong Whitworth Siskin

7.4%
  14. Hawker Nimrod

25.9%
  15. Boeing F4B

25.9%
  16. Boeing P-26

22.2%
  1. Feb 12, 2017 #1

Swampyankee

Swampyankee

Swampyankee

I'm interested in some of the fighters and other combat aircraft from between WW1 and WW2. So my question is, which of these aircraft would be a good choice for a replica, from both a historical (the aircraft's importance) perspective and practicality of build. I'm limiting this to aircraft that were essentially out of service at the beginning of WW2, so I'm not including the Fairey Battle, I-16, CR.32, and CR.42

2. Feb 12, 2017 #2

TFF

TFF

TFF

I love Furys and Hawks but these are large aircraft. Big task.

Swampyankee likes this.
  3. Feb 12, 2017 #3

redfox

redfox

redfox

Curtiss BFC-2!

Swampyankee likes this.
  4. Feb 12, 2017 #4

Swampyankee

Swampyankee

Swampyankee

I think the Fury is one of the most beautiful military biplanes ever built (the Beech Staggerwing and Dehavilland Dragone are in a different category).

Scaled replicas would work....

5. Feb 13, 2017 #5

N8053H

N8053H

N8053H

Take something already designed and make it into what you want. This would make a nice looking razor back look-a-like. In the right hands someone could turn something like this into a nice looking WWII bird. I guess this is why they call it an Avenger.

SAM_6104.jpg

6. Feb 13, 2017 #6

Knightzone

Knightzone

Knightzone

I voted P-26. Like N8053H said, it would be easier to take a completed aircraft and do some work on that. But if you do a replica, I think the design of the Seversky P-35 would be cool, or perhaps one of the Grumman biplane fighters.

Swampyankee likes this.
  7. Feb 13, 2017 #7

TFF

TFF

TFF

Years ago someone had plans for a P6E reduced size. I don't know if he ever sold any because they were high dollar. I think some was based on the Skybolt. The prototype is in the Oshkosh museum. I believe Chevy 350 powered. It's pretty. A couple of replica P-26s have been made very squirrelly plane but cool.

Swampyankee likes this.
  8. Feb 13, 2017 #8

redfox

redfox

redfox

Don Sauser built that P6E and offered plans. I've owned two sets and still have one left. Lack of wing rib drawings kinda orphaned that design

9. Feb 13, 2017 #9

TFF

TFF

TFF

That's a rare set of plans. Are they drawn well? When they were offered they were expensive. Why no rib drawings or are you given an airfoil and you loft to the position?

10. Feb 13, 2017 #10

plncraze

plncraze

plncraze

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Cool choices! John Isaacs participated in a Fury replica which was supposed to be as close to original as possible. Very complicated he said. There was a full scale F4b built utilizing a Stearman as the starting point which was probably a little simpler. It still was complicated though. A smaller replica based on a proven design would be neat. Get the scale right and it would be cute too.

Swampyankee likes this.
  11. Feb 13, 2017 #11

redfox

redfox

redfox

TFF, the wing ribs were to be offered as a kit through a laser cutting outfit on the west coast somewhere. All four wings are tapered so my assumption is Mr Sauser wanted uniformly made ribs, and judging by how quickly the family distanced themselve from the design after he passed away I'm fairly sure there were some liabilty fears. There used to be a Sauser support group online with cowl moulds and wing rib tracings floating around but it all kinda petered away around 2004-5 ish

12. Feb 13, 2017 #12

TFF

TFF

TFF

I thought the designed predated cheaply available laser cutting; Im surprised there was activity as late as 2005. With a decent CAD operator, would not be that big a deal to do it on your own. With less than 50 sets of plans sold, you have something interesting. I think there was a fuselage welded up floating around a couple of years ago.

13. Feb 13, 2017 #13

redfox

redfox

redfox

TFF if I remember correctly there have been 2-3 that flew after the prototype. One was a BFC-2 style with a 275 Jake where the engine broke off during a hard landing, another in OH or IN with the Crate Chevy and I believe one down in Florida as well. To answer your other question, the plans were very well drawn and the airfoil was a Clark Y if I recall...with every wing rib being a different size ;-)

The guy that was keeping the whole group together flew for the Georgian Forestry Commission and was fairly well along with his as well. Think there were 44 plans sets sold, he'd tracked down a couple dozen of us, but only 4-5 were active. It'/ a shame, neat neat design and the front seat/cockpit easy covered and faired for that fighter look

Swampyankee likes this.
  14. Feb 13, 2017 #14

Mad MAC

Mad MAC

Mad MAC

The Isaacs Fury is quite pretty and looks quite period in the details up close.

The two seat Gloster Grebe always appeals as a replica.

Swampyankee likes this.
  15. Feb 13, 2017 #15

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

My vote is for a semi-scale P-26 Peashooter with a Verner radial. If looking to tweak an existing design, a Fly Baby would be a good starting point.

Swampyankee likes this.
  16. Feb 13, 2017 #16

lr27

lr27

lr27

Not really excited about any of these choices. If I had to do the F4B, aka P-12, I'd probably do it with air mail markings:
    boeing p-12e in airmail colors.jpg
    I'd check to see if there wasn't something from the air mail crisis that might have been a bit more colorful, though.

My own preference, from that era, would be something sleeker. And civilian. Plenty of streamlined looking aircraft from before the war.

How about a Lockheed Altair? If I'm not mistaken, the US military had a couple.
    Lockheed-Altair-Inflight.jpg
    For biplane fanciers, I was going to suggest the Dragon Rapide, but it persisted into the war.

You could amaze your friends with an Ambrosini SS.4, though I think it rated no more than a footnote in history:
    ambrosini_ss-4.jpg

The Supermarine Type 224 was interesting, though it didn't get very far. Unless you count it because it was on the evolutionary path leading to the Spitfire:
    supermarine-type-224.jpg

Northrop XFT-1?
    northrop xft-1 left front top no known copyright.jpg
    Be sure to fix the handling problems!

Autodidact likes this.
  17. Feb 13, 2017 #17

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

Well, if we are opening it up to other suggestions, nothing quite captures the 1930s comic book aircraft look in my mind like the Curtiss Shrike series. And look at all the great paint schemes!

Ga12-index.jpg Curtiss A12 Shrike (128)_Page_11-960.jpg

Autodidact and Swampyankee like this.
  18. Feb 13, 2017 #18

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

Wanttaja

Here's a shot of a Fly Baby P-26 replica under construction. The basic fuselage box is there, with stringers added to make the fuselage rounder and the turtledeck modified for the distinctive profile.

It's going to have the stock Continental engine under that round cowl.

[​IMG]

Ron Wanttaja

19. Feb 13, 2017 #19

lr27

lr27

lr27

Oh c'mon! You can do better:
    Bell-FM-Airacuda-flying-through-the-clouds.jpg
    Bell Airacuda (prototype, but how did they even get that far without performing the laugh test?) I'll admit the only cartoon with it I could find was from 1988, where they claimed an impossible speed for it.

20. Feb 13, 2017 #20

lr27

lr27

lr27

That's pretty impressive, though I have to admit the wheels don't look at all scale. ;-) I just hope he can keep the weight down. Did he make the cowl? We need to find him a winning lottery ticket so you can use a proper radial in it. Oops. It's for sale. I wonder what happened? We can save the lottery ticked for the purchaser.
    http://www.replicafighters.com/Preuss-P26

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017