Quantcast

Between-the-war aircraft replicas

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Which between-the-war aircraft replica

• Total voters

Swampyankee

Well, if we are opening it up to other suggestions, nothing quite captures the 1930s comic book aircraft look in my mind like the Curtiss Shrike series. And look at all the great paint schemes!

View attachment 59093 View attachment 59094
I'm open to other suggestions, even the Bell FM-1 Airacuda, although my question there would be "why? Just why?"

lr27

I'm open to other suggestions, even the Bell FM-1 Airacuda, although my question there would be "why? Just why?"
I hope you understand that it wasn't an entirely serious suggestion. It was just my idea of an airplane that looks like it came from a cartoon. Speaking of cartoon airplanes, Tintin's author had impeccable taste in airplanes:
http://richard.ferriere.free.fr/tintin/ilenoire/ilenoire.htm
http://richard.ferriere.free.fr/aerotintin.htm

Speaking further of airplanes and cartoons, find a high definition screen and watch The Wind Rises. How many movies have Giovanni Caproni as an important character?
Caproni in the wind rises.jpgkt_caproni_ca-60a.jpgwr3.jpg

How about the Wright WP-1? (Basically a Dornier whose name I forget.):
a2559222-252-doh-2.jpg
Seems like it might be an eminently practical subject, yet interesting. If I squint hard enough, I can see a Pietenpol in there, converted to a cantilever wing.

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I'll see your Wright WP-1 and raise you a 1921 Waterman (Mercury) Gosling. Not cantilever, but I love the aerodynamic yet easy to build tapered square fuselage. With the side-mounted radiator, it would be perfect for something like a Suzuki auto engine conversion, and you could go around racing Flitzer biplanes for fun. ;-)

Waterman_Gosling_3_View_and_Text.jpg FlightFlyers172-500x350.jpg 670-2.jpg

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
It doesn't fit your criteria of "practical", but I'm surprised nobody has attempted a Supermarine S-6B replica...

More realistically, any of the Curtiss Hawk series. The P-6E is the best known, of course, and one of the most beautiful of all time, but the Goshawk is interesting, too, and the Sparrowhawk (smaller and made to hook onto airships) is historically significant.

Dana

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
Lynn Williams (of Flitzer fame) and I had a long e-mail discussion about the possibility of a Sperry M-1 Messenger replica of couple of years back. I had the airship hookup version in the back of my mind for that one as well. The Messenger is perfect for a full-size replica as it's about the same size as an EAA Biplane.

800px-Verville-Sperry_M-1_Messenger_USAF.jpg

Highplains

A 500 inch engine, because the 2,864 inch BMW VI was just too much? I agree the He-51 is a good looking design.

I've been looking at the He-70 for a model which used the same engine. It ran in the 1500 to 1700 rpm range with a 128 inch prop. The 70 was pretty fast, Rolls Royce used one to develop the engine for the Spitfire. One finally got an DB-600 in the nose with 1100 hp and the He-70 hit 280 mph. Not bad for a 1932 design that had a 48.6 ft span and 393 sq ft of area.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Between the wars... comic book appearance... fantasy... how can we even be having this discussion without Porco Rosso? OK, so it's not a replica of an actual aircraft, but it would be just so wonderful for someone to do :)

As far as actual replicas, the Grumman XF-5F "Skyrocket", with two of those Verner or Rotec radial engines, would peg the "cool factor" needle for me.

Grumman-XF5F-Skyrocket-Title.jpg

Swampyankee

It doesn't fit your criteria of "practical", but I'm surprised nobody has attempted a Supermarine S-6B replica...

More realistically, any of the Curtiss Hawk series. The P-6E is the best known, of course, and one of the most beautiful of all time, but the Goshawk is interesting, too, and the Sparrowhawk (smaller and made to hook onto airships) is historically significant.

Dana
The S6B didn't fill anybody's idea of practical, at any time...but it does spike the "cool" meter.

lr27

If you didn't like the Barling Bomber, that's disappointing. I assume it means you won't even think about the Caproni nine-winger in post 22, even though it's a real airplane. No fun at all.

If racing planes are cool, that opens up a large number of possibilities. And in a lot of cases, replicas can or need to be full sized, maybe even a bit larger.

For instance, Roscoe Turner's Meteor, later known as Pesco Special, later known as Miss Champion:
3782033589_7fa307cea5.jpg

Cessna CR-2: ------------------------------ or GC-1:
CR-2.jpg Cessna_GC-1.jpg

Hall Bulldog:
scn_0009.jpg

Miles Atwood:
2123a327b71a9a13ea24fdd7430ece17.jpg

San Diego Flaggship (might be a bit of a handful in the air):
sandiegoflaggshiprightside.jpg

Miles Hobby (no relation to Miles Atwood, I think:
m13-6.jpg

Not a racer, but how about this Miles Falcon in Spanish Civil war colors:
1418560406.jpg

Cunningham Hall GA-36:
cunninghamhallga-36.jpg

lr27

Prettier version of the Flaggship, I think this might be the first version before it crashed:
flagg-f15x.jpg
Here is a reproduction of what it looked like after Steve Wittman modified it:
pobjoy02.jpg
This version might be a safer bet, since the wings aren't tapered. Or if they are, not nearly as much as the original. I think they're longer too.

The Culver Dart, though not as unusual as these others, might still be a nice project:
DartTurnWEB.jpg

Battler Britton

Between the wars... comic book appearance... fantasy... how can we even be having this discussion without Porco Rosso? OK, so it's not a replica of an actual aircraft, but it would be just so wonderful for someone to do :)

As far as actual replicas, the Grumman XF-5F "Skyrocket", with two of those Verner or Rotec radial engines, would peg the "cool factor" needle for me.

View attachment 59114
VB....you stole my favourite answer..:devious:

larr

It's not on the list, but I would vote for the Polikarpov I-16 as the most significant inter-war era fighter.
The first all metal, cantilever low wing monoplane, retractable landing gear fighter.
Polikarpov-I-16-Drawing.jpgPolikarpov-I-16-Cutaway 2.jpg
It did make it into WWII, but so did the Peashoter.