"Beast One" - the next generation Microjet

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Scheny

The Malliga aircraft:
I remember that one of my instructors, Harry, told me about his friend, who built an aircraft out of a drop tank of a fighter jet after owning a BD-5 --> the MAL04. After serious vibrations, the pendulum elevator got stuck and he had to complete the traffic pattern by modulating throttle. At idle, it would descend at 10° and at light throttle he was able to reduce descend to a 5° and aim for the airport at 130kt. He hit the fence, rotated 4 times and came to a stop after more than 1200ft in the gras. Luckily he got out with bruises only.

Turd Ferguson

So for VFR, you are bound more or less to the 250kt speed limit for below 10k feet.
I thought it would be rules a country has imposed on it's airspace. However, at 10,000 ft there should be no speed limit, at least there isn't in the US. And we can fly VFR from 10,000 up to but not including 18,000 The speed limit under 10,000 is the same for everyone, VFR or IFR. 250 kts indicated is quite fast and I don't see that to be limiting.

Scheny

250 kts indicated is quite fast and I don't see that to be limiting.
I had the VFR part of my MEP/IR license check ride flown with a former fighter pilot in an area where they conduct contour flying exercises. Following a valley at 130kt is already challenging :pilot: . When I ride the DA42 NG at 165kt in fast cruise, it behaves more like a train than like an aircraft and the only aircraft I ever got above that was the Airbus 320 that I only fly in a simulation center as instructor for intereseted "civilians". In the Airbus (also in real life), I would reduce speed to 210kt for approaching the airport (or 250kt if I come in straight, but with a lot of spoiler afterwards).

So, your words in my ears, even 230kt is not limiting :cool: (At least in my mountaineous Austria). As for altitude, I never went above 14k feet in an unpressurized aircraft (even with oxygen), but I know some guys who brag to regularly cruise at 16k to be faster (and omit oxygen! crazy stupid bastards...).

I had a funny situation when I sat in a real A320 cockpit on the jumpseat together with a friend who didn't retreat from being commercial pilot. We approached Dusseldorf at 330kt in a descent for the IAF, when tower asked us to cut some corners (the S-shaped STAR) and directly join the ILS. The PIC put thrust to zero and spoilers to maximum, with the plane quite vibrating trying to slow down at least some and sinking in open descent. Two minutes later, a lot of thousands feet deeper and still at 280kt, tower called again, asking if we were able to reduce speed to 180kt (I already wondered, having seen the other aircraft in a line on the FMS).

I looked at my friend, then took the headset and said "Already at max spoilers, but I can open the windows and hold out my hands if this is of any help". You can guess, there was some laughter afterwards (and of course we still managed to reduce speed in time).

John.Roo

There is now slow progress for the Beast One model for Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020:
View attachment 105317
Pls. what software you need to make model for MS2020?
Thanks to JetManHuss exists simulation of our Phoenix for X-Plane 11.
7StpbCKVx2.jpeg
Model for MS2020 could be also good fun :)

Scheny

I am using Blender, although it is only "partially" supported. You can create static models, but animations need to be done by hand at the moment and it is not documented how to do it at all. Also, it is not known how to add click-boxes or instruments.

Waiting every update to get more info there.

rv6ejguy

HBA Supporter
The BD-5J seemed to work pretty well in the hands of Corkey Fornof. He lists the BD-5J as in his top 5 favorite planes to fly- out of 287 types. Seems your jet design should be compared to the jet version of the BD-5...

Scheny

Looks good. Which levitation engine are you using?
BJC
I could tell, but I would have to kill you :cool:. It's the the secret I want to finance my project with. I can only reveal that it works based on the number 42.

The BD-5J seemed to work pretty well in the hands of Corkey Fornof. He lists the BD-5J as in his top 5 favorite planes to fly- out of 287 types. Seems your jet design should be compared to the jet version of the BD-5...
There is a lot of fun aircraft which are fine in the right hands. The Robinson helicopters are killing machines if handled to wild, but in Europe and the US there are almost no crashes, due to high levels of pilot education (no literal cowboys).

The Jet BD-5 contains a lot of improvements against the BD-5A, but it is a popular disbelief, that it is safe! The newer BD-5 are modified with a GAW-2 profile, but the jet still uses the NACA 64xxx (also like the JSX-2 does) with a medium wingspan (BD-5A 14'4", BD-5B 21'6", BD-5J 17', BD-5D/G also 17', but with he GAW-2).

Here a few points noticed by Seth Anderson after flying both the prop and jet version:
"Below Reynolds 3x10^6, stall gets rather abrupt", this can be avoided by adding 7kt landing speed (except for the time). Stall warning (buffeting) is "OK", except for rapid G onset: "the aircraft eventually departed abruptly rolling to an inverted, nose low attitude". One passage later: "In maneuvering flight stalls (pull ups or turns), stall warning was essentially non-existent and the roll-off became very abrupt and violent. In a 3G turn, the aircraft "snapped" 360 degrees very smartly at stall."

I don't want to bother you here with too many details, but he continues with gentle stalls at approach with flaps at 65mph, followed with abrupt secondary stalls when already at 80mph again... And this is only one chapter of the report. It goes on and on with such things.

But to conclude: Seth Anderson also describes it as a nice aircraft which is fun to fly ;)

Reactions: BJC

rv6ejguy

HBA Supporter
Like any aircraft, fly it by the numbers and stalls are not something you worry about. Pulling G at low speeds is asking for trouble in almost any aircraft. Why would any competent and thinking pilot be doing that? Aircraft characteristics are what they are. Stay away from the part of the envelope that is known to bite you and you won't be bitten.

Too many people blame the aircraft when the pilot is doing stupid things. Corkey's aerobatic performances in the J show that there is nothing dangerous about the aircraft if you fly it properly.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
The speed limit under 10,000 is the same for everyone, VFR or IFR. 250 kts indicated is quite fast and I don't see that to be limiting.
Just to make a minor refinement- the 250 KIAS limitation applies to most , but not all acft. Per agreement between the DoD and the FAA, some acft have a blanket exception (the T-38 and some fighters), also military aircraft in MOAs and LLTRs can be scooting about at those speeds under 10k. I think I heard of some civilian acft that have a waiver. Anyway, obviously, it is up to everyone to keep that scan going, know where the likely conflicts may occur, and avoid swapping paint.

Last edited:

Scheny

Horst Malliga's aircraft number 4, built from a supersonic capable drop fuel tank for fighter jets.

...is asking for trouble in almost any aircraft. Why would any competent and thinking pilot be doing that? ... Stay away from the part of the envelope that is known to bite you and you won't be bitten.
The difference is between do you go to the Tiger and hit it until it once bites, or do you stay behind the bars, try to be outside reach and still get bitten?

I earn my money for a living with car development, they also have an envelope. Back in the days, an awful lot had accidents when they were just driving on a straight road. And don't think this is not happening to you, or anymore. If you look at the Audi TT, it got an integrated spoiler added as the rear portion is creating uplift. The car has really good race track characteristics, as everything is weighed to have the perfect balance. But, when the car gets unstable due to a lighter rear (aerodynamically lighter), it gets unstable so quickly, that not even their best testpilots could notice it in time and it was unrecoverable.

So, bottom line: all Audi TT and now also all similar cars like Porsche's have an integrated spoiler.

Speedboat100

Banned

Many BD-5 pilots widows tend to disagree, but definitely it flies fine before the impact ?

rv6ejguy

HBA Supporter
If you look at the Audi TT, it got an integrated spoiler added as the rear portion is creating uplift. The car has really good race track characteristics, as everything is weighed to have the perfect balance. But, when the car gets unstable due to a lighter rear (aerodynamically lighter), it gets unstable so quickly, that not even their best testpilots could notice it in time and it was unrecoverable.

So, bottom line: all Audi TT and now also all similar cars like Porsche's have an integrated spoiler.
The Audi TT is shaped like a lifting body so basically a bad shape for high speeds in a car. The engineers designing that should have known before it even turned a wheel. The spoiler is a patch for bad design.

I've driven lots of cars at high speeds up to 275 Kph (13 years of road racing turbocharged stuff). Never spun one from aerodynamic lift or instability. I guess that means old Toyota and Nissans are superior to Modern Audis?

David Moxley

Log Member
All a BD-5 is good for is being the first thing to the seen of the accident. I have seen a couple of first flights with no return’s. There dangerous!