• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Avid Mk4 repower

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Natty Bumpo

Looking for suggestions.
I was just given an Avid Flyer mk4.
It wears a 2 stroke Rotax, not sure if 532 or 582, but irrelevant.
2 stroke is a no go for me.
I wanted to repower 4 stroke, and the only answer I keep getting from folks is a 912.

Since they cost as much as my house, thats not an option for me. I also have some issues with that gearbox from bitter experience which makes me doubly not inclined when combined with pricing.

What other options have you folks seen used? My local airport is 490 msl, so I have some performance leeway. I am not hung up on ideal, more affordable and practical.

I have been toying with the idea of a VW with redrive moved as far aft as possible.
I do have the HH wings, so the all up weight is less of an issue than balance at first thought.

Bottom line...i need something I can afford.
Everyone I know who has flown 2 smoke power has had an off airport landing due to engine failures. Some of them have been seriously injured as a result. I am not willing to fly one on and airplane I wish to cross country.

Back