Quantcast

Are there plans for a scratch builable amphibious aircraft

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Dan Thomas

In the good old days before so many kitplanes there were several. The Pereira Osprey II, the Volmer VJ-22 (I think that's right), the Anderson Kingfisher, the Spencer AirCar, the Taylor Coot, and probably more. They used to show up regularly at fly-ins. Googling them will no doubt turn up sellers of plans, and if not, maybe someone here has a stash of them in their basement somewhere.

Dillpickle

This tics so many boxes for guys who want to take their airplane home....https://youtu.be/Yus-V_wVYDk
Some of you Vietnam era boys may remember this more correctly than I, but Didn't the US Navy build/buy two to evaluate their capability to fly in the Mekong delta for recce?
edit. Yep Osprey Aircraft/ GP-4

Last edited:

akwrencher

HBA Supporter
Several years ago I corresponded with a member here who had plans available for the VJ-22. Skeeter, I believe. Don't know if he is still active or not.

N804RV

HBA Supporter
In the good old days before so many kitplanes there were several. The Pereira Osprey II, the Volmer VJ-22 (I think that's right), the Anderson Kingfisher, the Spencer AirCar, the Taylor Coot, and probably more. They used to show up regularly at fly-ins. Googling them will no doubt turn up sellers of plans, and if not, maybe someone here has a stash of them in their basement somewhere.
Another vote for the Osprey II

n6233u

HBA Supporter
I purchased plans for the Volmer many years ago with an idea of eventually building one. The local EAA chapter acquired one in need of repair a year or so ago and they should have it back together in a year or so. They are well designed and built strong, but be prepared for a lengthy build time.

plncraze

HBA Supporter
Did the plans include wing drawings or do you get the plans from Wag-Aero?

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Wow, that's quite an Enterprise.
I met John Jeffries, the other guy who was involved with the original Enterprise model. He had rebuilt a truly show quality Aeronca Chief and a matching Ercoupe here at my home airport. Survived getting his head darn near chopped off hand-propping a Cessna Cardinal. At one time I think I had heard Volmer was based here at Whiteman Airport (the photos of him standing in the VJ-23 glider were taken in the hills behind the airport), maybe some of the model was built here too? As Spock might say... one can only theorize...

Riggerrob

Jensen Amphibian uses Aeronca Champ wings while Anderson Kingfisher uses Piper wings.
Wag Aero sells Piper-clone plans and kits.

way_up_noth

If you accindently left the wheels down in an amphibian(like the volmer..etc) ...does it have the same potential to flip like a float plane?

Tiger Tim

If you accindently left the wheels down in an amphibian(like the volmer..etc) ...does it have the same potential to flip like a float plane?
That’s pretty well a reality of any amphibian. Look at it the other way: observing gear up or gear down is an easy procedural thing you do once before landing, you recognize the dangers of getting it wrong so use that respect for the consequences to drive you to never land without knowing the position of the wheels. Not guessing the position, or trying to remember it, or making an assumption, but knowing where those wheels are before you touch down, all the while being prepared to fly an overshoot if you don’t like the answer.

There are also potentially grave consequences of accidentally running out of gas, or flying at too low an airspeed while close to the ground, or flying into cloud without knowing what you’re doing. We as pilots have to mitigate these risks as well as we can, usually through planning ahead, monitoring the situation, and leaving an out.

Dan Thomas

Not for the first time, I'll say that what we really need is an original design homebuilt amphibian inspired by the Shavrov Sh-2 complete with the simple hand-cranked, cable-operated landing gear.
Yup. But the temptation most builders face, and many succumb to, is to add an electric motor or hydraulics to do the grunt work. That adds weight, cost, failure points and the need for an emergency gear extension system.
Just look at the glass panels and fancy upholstery we see in homebuilts now. Comfort isn't enough; we have to have systems to do all the navigation and piloting for us too. Soon the airplane will make all the decisions as well, and we won't have any say in it.