AP structure Gyroplane?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

John.Roo

Friendly recommendation - don´t build your own blades. Blade construction is definitelly not simple. Look to the market and buy a set of blades from some exerienced company. Ideally with rotor head and hub bar. Blade shape and profile seems to be easy but CG position of rotor blade is not so easy to achieve. Wooden rotor blades had sometimes a "hammer like" ballancing near the blade end. Aluminum or composite blades have a lot of mass in the front.

Samples of contruction....
1591863596407.png
Best regards!
Martin

mullacharjak

Martin Thanks for reply.I like the Bensen blade best as it can be built by amateur builder.Compared to a propeller the rotor is an easy thing to build as there is no twist.The rotor head is also a simple thing and so is the hub bar.One must have the required material and a milling machine/Lathe. My interest is just to get a practical understanding of the autogyro which includes building the blade.The most extent that I would go would be the Gyro glider stage probably with tethered flight and no further.As I understand the hammer like thing is to balance the rotor in the chordwise plane.It should be balanced at the 1/4 chord point otherwise it wont fly.

John.Roo

Few years ago we were dreaming about electric gyroplane (I know... crazy idea).
To achieve this not easy goal we tried to make optimalized gyroplane design.
Our idea was to make tractor config (better prop efficiency) and optimalized composite rotor (I still have moulds).
But than we focused our forces to make electric motorglider - it is easier and more practical design for electric propulsion tests :)
Nevertheless - I spent a lot of time to collect info why are gyroplanes flying, weak points etc. and beleive me - not that many pilots really know why gyroplane is flying. Many of them know how to fly gyro, but detailed theory of gyroplane aerodynamics is really complex.

John.Roo

Pitbull with Werner?
I found this drawing in my gyroplanes archiv.
Picture is probably originally from Russia.
My opinion is that would be necessary to move mast a bit to the front to keep good CG, but looks nice :)

2___kopija_2.jpg

rotax618

I always thought that a Mignet HM14 Flea simple ply fuselage would make a good basis for a tractor Gyro. There is a tubular structure that connects the forward wing, that would need to be lengthened and moved back to attach the rotor head, the engine mount is simple, and dual rudders could be attached to a horizontal stabiliser54EBB4F9-4F5C-4C75-BE7C-83DADCDFE614.jpeg71FE442D-F616-46EC-90C7-EC95453C110F.jpeg where the rear wing is attached.

mullacharjak

Does there exist any literature how to design a tractor gyro?
Cant the rotor Lift system be considered as a flying wing aircraft.It doesnt even require a horizontal tail as the rotor is stable for and aft.That way it would only require cg and thrustline placement.

wanttobuild

Rotary wing forum
Ultralite gyros
Search for JonSu's Skyrotor.
A new take on ultralite gyro.
There you will find a very well designed tractor gyro, 503 powered. Download the EDrawing and learn.
JonSu is a very excellent designer.