• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Another concept to pick apart...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AFAdrenaline

So one thing I remember from working on my senior design project was the hours the rest of the team and I would spend debating inane details about our aircraft... in the end however, we ended up what was truly (i my completely unbiased opinion ;)) an awesome aircraft. The aircraft was like a rocket and incredibly stable yet still maneuverable. I always thought it would be awesome to actually fly it but with a 6 foot wingspan and a 7 foot long fuselage it was decidedly too small! I have recently begun the preliminary design of a full size aircraft based on the original design. This essentially turns the senior design project in to a 1/4th to 1/5th scale model.

The basic design goals are as follows:
Carry 2 people
Vcruise = approx 200 KIAS
Vne = 250 KIAS
Loading = +7/-3 operationally (+10.5/-4.5 design)
Vstall < 75 KIAS
Range = 600+ NM
Fully Aerobatic

The general configuration as you can see from the photos/image is a
single tapered low wing with zero LE sweep, an H-tail and tricycle landing gear. The original airfoil on the main wing was a NACA 4418 but I'm considering using a Clark Y on the full scale version for ease of construction purposes. Even though the original aircraft was powered by an AMT turbojet I am planning on using piston (regular or diesel) turning a pushprop. In my preliminary analysis I've determined that I need roughly 350+ HP (or if i were fortunate to find a turbojet/fan, 800+ lbt) to meed my design goals.

As of right now these following are my major concerns with the design:
-Upstream effects of the prop on the horizontal stab/elevator
-Effect of elevator deflection on the air hitting the prop
-Landing gear design (I would really like to make the full scale aircraft RG but have no experiance in that aspect of design)
-Prop-strike pitch back angle (current model shows roughly 10 deg nose up, does that seam pretty reasonable?)

So I'm inviting everyone to feel free to pick away and find flaws with the design concept in general. And if anyone has any suggestions for a powerplant or powerplant-prop combo that would be great too. I'm really open to any ideas in that area. I look forward to everyone's input!

Attachments

• Hyperion1.jpg
    Hyperion1.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 336
  • Formation3.jpg
    Formation3.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 480
  • 0001.jpg
    0001.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 383
Back