• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

ADS-B anyone? And how?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhino

Supporting Member
I keep re-reading the February Kitplanes article on ADS-B. I'd like to incorporate capability for that in my panel to at least some extent, but I'm not sure how to manage that. Has anyone else been looking at ADS-B for a homebuilt?

I'm not looking at having capability now, but rather trying to maximize my compatibility for future options. I can't afford the existing options, and they're overkill for my needs anyway. Since I imagine options and equipment prices will drop a lot after ADS-B is implemented, like Kitplanes reported, all I'd like to do now is insure as much existing capability in my panel as possible so I don't have to replace much later. The problem is, I can't find any compatibility information. As a 'for instance' question, would a Garmin 496 be able to display ADS-B info when it gets implemeted, would that require a 696, or is there no way that any of the existing affordable GPSs will be able to display ADS-B down the road?

The current options out there now seem to be centered pretty much around an encoder/decoder box with a built in GPS that interfaces with your mode S transponder and multifunction display. I'm already planning for mode S but the other stuff is problematic. Most small homebuilts don't have available panel space for a multifunction display, nor do many small certified aircraft for that matter. Based on that I'm assuming future implementations would need the ability to display ADS-B on other screens such as GPSs or EFISs, though I'm not sure how well that would work on an EFIS. And aircraft that already have a GPS shouldn't be required to acquire an encoder/decoder with a GPS built in. Aside from the additional cost issue, it represents space and weight issues too. There just may not be any real viable options out there for us yet but I'd hate to spend big bucks on a panel now only to discover down the road that better choices were available for future ADS-B compatibility.

I'm just curious if any other homebuilders have been thinking about ADS-B and if they've been able to find any information that might be useful for planning future compatibility.

Back