A year and counting.

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

BTCrenshaw

HBA Supporter
Just getting the itch to get back into flying. Many a year ago I was going after my PPL. Because of life events, I never did finish and lost interest. I saw some paramotor's on YouTube and got my interest. I was considering learning here in Dallas, even going to meet up with the instructors. A bit later I found the expense was 2/3rds the cost of a top of the line ultralight. Hum, lock myself into a powered kite or get into a fully enclosed aircraft? Seeing a few wing collapses didn't really impress me much. Though I know paramotors are pretty safe, the idea of having a fixed wing interested me more - so, now I'm heading in that direction. I've got a year to pay off the house, lose some weight :), and then purchase an ultralight and get some training. Really liking the bush style ultralights - amazing what the technology has done compared to the ultralights of the 80's and 90's. Wish me luck.
Todd

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
OK! Good Luck

However, I feel compelled to point out that it takes more than luck to be a long term pilot. Therefore, I am making the following suggestion.

I expect there is a good chance you will end up with a "heavy Ultralight" AKA Light Sport.

Use this winter/Covid down time to get the studying for the written out of the way so you can hit the ground running in the spring.

BTCrenshaw

HBA Supporter
OK! Good Luck

However, I feel compelled to point out that it takes more than luck to be a long term pilot. Therefore, I am making the following suggestion.

I expect there is a good chance you will end up with a "heavy Ultralight" AKA Light Sport.

Use this winter/Covid down time to get the studying for the written out of the way so you can hit the ground running in the spring.
Yes, I can see a transition into LSA. Much depends on cost. I am doing as you suggest and going through the fun part of flying (what? :) ) the class work!

ElectricFlyer

HBA Supporter
Merry Christmas to all
I tried PPG and went to Flexwing Trikes as I found PPG launches too challenging/frustrating. I did not want hanger storage costs, one reason for PPG, and when an opportunity presented itself to get a flexwing trike that fit into my garage, I took it.
"I've got a year to pay off the house" - like me, sounds like you dont have a lot money to spare, so maybe you want to look at something that can be put in an enclosed trailer. Maybe look for a Kolb fixer upper while you are paying off the house and taking lessons.
Dont be afraid to explore Flexwing Trikes as well - a little different to fly then 3 axis, but a wonderful beast to tame non the less.
Wishing you all the best in you quest.

BTCrenshaw

HBA Supporter
Merry Christmas to all
I tried PPG and went to Flexwing Trikes as I found PPG launches too challenging/frustrating. I did not want hanger storage costs, one reason for PPG, and when an opportunity presented itself to get a flexwing trike that fit into my garage, I took it.
"I've got a year to pay off the house" - like me, sounds like you dont have a lot money to spare, so maybe you want to look at something that can be put in an enclosed trailer. Maybe look for a Kolb fixer upper while you are paying off the house and taking lessons.
Dont be afraid to explore Flexwing Trikes as well - a little different to fly then 3 axis, but a wonderful beast to tame non the less.
Wishing you all the best in you quest.
I looked at the trikes and I think even one manufacturer has quads to fly in. Because my knees decided about a year ago to go south - running isn't even a challenge for me, it's pretty much impossible which sucks. The trikes and other options like that didn't really interest me that much.

As for the house pay off, actually I make a very good income. The cash is tight because I'm paying almost 5 times the monthly payment to kill the debt. It's just that paying off the house is my absolute last debt. I will never get back into payments to anyone ever again. I just want all payments gone. I'll be paying cash for whatever I decide to fly. I was over $65K in debt at back in 2011 not including the house! Never again. There's a freedom to paying off debt and not owing the banks. February 2022 and the house is mine, 12+ years early. I have plenty of other hobbies I can do and play with. All while learning as much as I can prepping for the day I'll have something to fly in.

One of the problems with many ultralights is storage. Hanger space is not cheap at all. The Badland F5 Fujita has folding wings! It is enclosed trailer capable and that'll be the direction I'll go - whatever I have it's got to fit in a trailer.

I'll be retiring at 60 in two and a half years +/- a few months. The plan is to move out to Florida to be near family that lives there. There's a really nice airport (Keystone Heights - 42J) that's near where my relatives live. Super nice airport with a really large variety of aircraft, even with one ultralight on field. Sell the house here in Dallas, buy a house in Florida and fly out of 42J.

It is very difficult not to take out a second on the house and go buy that Fujita, but I can't let myself go down that road again. I would be a lot better off if I wasn't so stupid with my money when I was younger!

Thank you for the good wishes and encouragement. I will get there! - Merry Christmas to you and your family.

delta

Something else to consider might be an autogyro. I've never flown one and don't know if I'd even like it, but I've been led to believe they'll fly safely in a 40mph wind and land on a dime.

ElectricFlyer

HBA Supporter
Badland F5 Fujita
I like the vid of putting in the back of PU Truck
I love the folding wing, I think this should be the main feature of all future UL's, but alas, I am not a front engine person myself.
I am someday going to move to a 3 axis as well with folding wings, rear engine, by that time it will also be electric I hope😁

BTCrenshaw

HBA Supporter
Something else to consider might be an autogyro. I've never flown one and don't know if I'd even like it, but I've been led to believe they'll fly safely in a 40mph wind and land on a dime.
Haha, ever heard of Barnett Rotorcraft? (Barnett J4B Gyroplane) I went to school with Mr. Barnett's daughter Tracy. My dad and Mr. Barnett were friends. Mr. Barnett was one of the first to design and use a pre-rotator. I've always liked gyroplanes and even fell in love with one - I simply can't afford :)

BTCrenshaw

HBA Supporter
I like the vid of putting in the back of PU Truck
I love the folding wing, I think this should be the main feature of all future UL's, but alas, I am not a front engine person myself.
I am someday going to move to a 3 axis as well with folding wings, rear engine, by that time it will also be electric I hope😁
Yes that was pretty cool, just two guys putting an entire airplane into the back of a long bed pickup! You can see by the F5 and the Xenon Gyroplane, I'm leaning heavily towards enclosed cockpit aircraft. I'm not so much for hanging out in the open air. I know, that thin little wall isn't going to make a bit of difference in a bad situation. I just like aircraft with cabins :) Funny about the folding wing. Twenty years ago I was like, folding wing, no way! What if it folds in flight? Shows how ignorant I was about aircraft construction - I've learned a lot since then.

As for electrics - I own a Chevy Volt and I really like the car a lot. It's been remarkable in saving me a ton of money in gas. I also own a Chevrolet Avalanche 2500 (8.1L engine = gallons per mile not miles per gallon - only joking but it seems like it at times). I purchased the Volt used at 2 years old, half the price of a new one. I can certainly see the desire for an electric airplane. The Volt is so quiet and also powerful. The torque pull on a prop would be outstanding and then flying must be similar to a glider as far as noise is concerned. Batteries or other power source though have to improve and become very light weight. Hydrogen fuel cells may be the answer if a way can be found to store enough Hydrogen without having to keep it chilled. Maybe if the brains of the world can come up with something like that one day we'll see quad copters that can fly for more than 15 to 30 minutes.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I tried PPG and went to Flexwing Trikes as I found PPG launches too challenging/frustrating.
The key to PPG is getting about 10-15 hours of practice just kiting the wing on the ground before ever strapping on the motor. At some point it just "clicks", just like riding a bicycle, then it's easy and positively magical, running into the sky.

BTCrenshaw

HBA Supporter
The key to PPG is getting about 10-15 hours of practice just kiting the wing on the ground before ever strapping on the motor. At some point it just "clicks", just like riding a bicycle, then it's easy and positively magical, running into the sky.
Unfortunately my issues isn't with the learning part, it's the physical part. My knees about a year ago started going south, so running even mildly is out of the question. I'd feel like Dr. Smith on the Lost in Space TV series - the pain, oh the pain!

BTCrenshaw

HBA Supporter
How wide is the Badland with the wings folded?
Chris Duel (Badland Aircraft owner) doesn't list the width folded but from the pictures below I would say about as wide as his dually is. Remember the perspective of the wings in the back will make it look wider than the dually.

badlandwidth1.jpgBadlandwidth2.jpg

Reactions: BJC