Quantcast

10/23 Raptor Video

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

lelievre12

HBA Supporter
I
Initial climb rate seems to be 800-1000 fpm and quickly overheating engine.
Sustainable lowered power climb rate is 300-400 fpm
I'd love to laugh and poke fun at the measly 360FPM Raptor climb rate however my Cessna P210N aint no Starship either.

On this recent flight Truckee-->Petaluma I only made 10 minutes from 6300-->10,000 feet cruise or ..............370 FPM. :(

3800# and only 285HP continuous = leisurely climb no matter how much I hate it. Porky singles are not like your average turboprop.

Sure I can firewall it for 420F CHT and get 750FPM but if you want to keep the engine cool, only option is to slow down.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
On this recent flight Truckee-->Petaluma I only made 10 minutes from 6300-->10,000 feet cruise or ..............370 FPM. :(
Noteworthy, though, that you took off at a higher altitude than the Raptor has yet achieved. And you were lifting about 1500 lbs of payload and fuel. The Raptor.. well, it has less.

If the Raptor can only stay cool by running at partial power and during the coolest months of the year and where the air is thick, then it has a lot more development ahead.

Last edited:

Geraldc

I use flightradar 24 and you can replay the flight at 10 second snapshots.
People had been saying the climb rate was poor so I checked from takeoff to pattern height to confirm this or not.

Mcmark

I'll preface this saying I haven't watched any thing of his regarding the airplane for more than a few minutes. But I have watched the take off and climb on several occasions.
Having the HUD on screen the altimeter starts to climb as the aircraft rolls/accelerates.
If that is what is being captured by flight aware it's no more accurate than this test program.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Having the HUD on screen the altimeter starts to climb as the aircraft rolls/accelerates.
If that is what is being captured by flight aware it's no more accurate than this test program.
Static port in a low pressure location?

Geraldc

The traces for flight radar and flight aware come from the transponder.
In this country at least the transponder has to be certified before transmitting.

Wanttaja

The traces for flight radar and flight aware come from the transponder.
In this country at least the transponder has to be certified before transmitting.
The problem with that is that the dynamic effects on the static can't be tested. Even if the test unit is connected to the aircraft static source, if the source is inaccurate as airspeed increases, it has utterly no effect on the test results.

Ron Wanttaja

Geraldc

on my flightradar24 trace the elevation starts at 0 feet and stays there until takeoff so maybe transponder off different pitot static or gps from airfield elevation
1610171185561.png

N91CZ

My Garmin ADSB transponder doesn't start transmitting until a minimum airspeed is reached. I assume this is based on some desire to de-clutter ground movement from flying aircraft.
Pressure in the cabin generally reads low as well. He needs to try a static cone.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Transponder transmits code to a radar ATC. No radar at Valdosta. It may or may not be turned on and transmitting 1200.