10/23 Raptor Video

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

TFF

Officially they don’t have radar because of the designation. The do get composite feeds.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
I bet Valdosta gets a radar feed from Moody AFB which is nearby.
Sure, they get an anonymous 1200 code. But they get the 1200 code at some minimum altitude and require a pilot contact to identify, as far as I know. I know the transponder is not required outside of class c. The ADS-B isn't required either. I don't know if he is required to turn it on if it is installed.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Sure, they get an anonymous 1200 code. But they get the 1200 code at some minimum altitude and require a pilot contact to identify, as far as I know. I know the transponder is not required outside of class c. The ADS-B isn't required either. I don't know if he is required to turn it on if it is installed.
If ADS-B Out is installed, running it is required.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Then I think his ADS-B is calibrated and it must use GPS altitude. Or, the ADS-B may be connected to the mode c altimeter. In that case maybe he is required to run the transponder because he has ADS-B installed.

Kyle Boatright

HBA Supporter
Then I think his ADS-B is calibrated and it must use GPS altitude. Or, the ADS-B may be connected to the mode c altimeter. In that case maybe he is required to run the transponder because he has ADS-B installed.
You are required to run both if installed. The transponder rules are unchanged from before ADS-B.

Wild Bill

Per the latest video flaps may be added for production.
I’d like to see the canard elevator setup you would need for flaps on the main.

rv6ejguy

I continue to be amazed with Peter's thinking about cooling. His plan is to place an oil cooler in the aft ventral air exit now. He clearly doesn't understand the concept of Delta T and HXs as the air from the cowling has already been heated by the rad, exhaust and intercoolers upstream. This will have the additional effect of restricting the outlet flow and probably reducing flow through the upstream HXs and elevating coolant and charge IATs with little change in oil temps.

I'd do a flight with the meat probe to measure the outlet air temp at the scoop. If it's the same or higher than the the oil temp, he'll get zero cooling here. Would save a lot of work.

Also, why would he remove and tear down the redrive bearing housing, replace the nitrile O-rings which were heat degraded but not replace the nitrile shaft seal?

Voidhawk9

HBA Supporter
He said converting the ailerons to flaperons. That would be limited flap.
Same issue. Plus these designs tend to be a little lacking in aileron authority at low speeds already without asking them to do double duty.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
I don't think converting existing ailerons to flaperons without inboard flaps is a good idea on any aircraft whether conventional or canard. Just reporting what he said.
I have no idea if he meant full span flaperons or just drooping the existing outboard ailerons.

Last edited:

Voidhawk9

HBA Supporter
I watched the latest video through - he specifically suggested flaperons AND flaps as the solution to the high landing speed. 😶
It's still pitching around like it's only neutrally stable. VSI readings following suit.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Yeah, he said "converting the ailerons into flaperons and then adding flaps as well".
I think experimenting with inboard flaps should be first. (or nothing)

PPLOnly

I'm confused why he's talking about flaps on the main wing when he still has absolutely no idea what speed the canard stalls at. For all he knows, he could be landing at 60kts. I know that's extremely unlikely but my point is that it's a huge unknown.
Testing flaperons with a trial and error method on a high speed canard will be dangerous beyond belief. I’m struggling to wrap my head around how this will be designed and accomplished.