10/23 Raptor Video

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Another example-- Private grass strip. Airplane with no invite landed, was a local FAA chief, started inspecting airplanes. Grounded a couple month old new C-182 for dust on the brake caliper. Owner happen to be very, very wealthy, with a fleet of aircraft and retained a lawyer for him and another airplane owner where the FAA grounded is airplane. Had a hearing, the FAA was the head of the local FSDO office and a few months from retirement. Told to report to an empty office in another city for he remaining time. He always was a horse's posterior end.

231TC

Back in Raptor world, today's flight puts him pretty close to 39 hours. So as long as there are no issues, the next flight should get him over the goal.

I hope he posts a video to rub it in our faces (I admit I didn't expect it before winter) and gives us more clues about what's next so we can start a fresh round of speculation. I'm interested in whether he's aware of the legalities of leaving his radius.

Malish

Meaning, it had not been inspected by a representative of the FAA administrator (i.e. a DAR or FSDO ASI)? Not sure what (if any) the rules are for Russian registered experimental a/c in the US.
They(Lakeland FSDO) did throughout inspection of our aircraft and records, then send us to fly it over the swamps for an hour(test flight), before aloud us fly demonstration flight at Sun-n- Fun... All this did take 4 days and we only did fly on last day of the show 🤔 :):oops:

Rik-

I ponder.. I once read on this forum, not this specific thread, that there was a checklist of things that must be accomplished/checked off during the initial 40 hrs flight and that one would be lucky to accomplish all those task within the said 40 hrs.

While I have not looked up what these task are, I wonder if merely doing figure 8's will accomplish these necessary task for initial airworthiness?

Turd Ferguson

checklist of things that must be accomplished/checked off
For a homebuilt,

The following aircraft operating data has been demonstrated during the flight testing: speeds Vso ______, Vx ______, and Vy ______, and the weight ______ and CG location ______ at which they were obtained.”
But this isn't a homebuilt and apparently doesn't have homebuilt OL's.

Malish

I ponder.. I once read on this forum, not this specific thread, that there was a checklist of things that must be accomplished/checked off during the initial 40 hrs flight and that one would be lucky to accomplish all those task within the said 40 hrs.

While I have not looked up what these task are, I wonder if merely doing figure 8's will accomplish these necessary task for initial airworthiness?
I don't know what FAA goal was, but they really send us to swaps - fly south of Lakeland(they give us copy of sectional chart) with area there, where we should fly there for an hour - all flight took us about 2 hours. Night before they made us to run the power plant for 30 minutes...
pIMG_0050.JPG
tmp_19215-aIMG_8919-1305321457.JPG

Rataplan

Another example-- Private grass strip. Airplane with no invite landed, was a local FAA chief, started inspecting airplanes. Grounded a couple month old new C-182 for dust on the brake caliper. Owner happen to be very, very wealthy, with a fleet of aircraft and retained a lawyer for him and another airplane owner where the FAA grounded is airplane. Had a hearing, the FAA was the head of the local FSDO office and a few months from retirement. Told to report to an empty office in another city for he remaining time. He always was a horse's posterior end.
All over the world the "FAA"s seems to be the same LOL. And I assume also the (american) FAA has also all kind of types from real 'pilots' and real 'technicians' to the paper tigers who love their authority.

Rataplan

Still looking for the real "pilots". Knew of 2, but they retired.
The ones I knew was because they were friend of my late father. . One had in his office a picture of a Harvard (North American T6) flying under Electric Power Lines His boss told him to find the pilot and take his license. My Dad: " But you didn't I'm sure" He "sure I didn't .,I was the Pilot" My Dad " I know , why else would you hang that picture in your office" And both laughed while smoking real Cuban cigars. Ah as child I liked those conversations, the steamclock age when a plane smelled like a plane, the dope and avgas and not a like a new car.

Rik-

Looking over the flight logs, the second engine has produced a bit over 30 hrs of flight time since installation.

Far more than a lot of people projected/predicted.

Yet, he's got to be dizzy from the figure 8's that he's been doing.

Voidhawk9

HBA Supporter
Probably a glitch? He can't fly at that speed. It's probably just control movement messing with his altitude indication again.

Geraldc

If that were accurate, I'd be lining up to buy a Raptor! According to that graph he left the runway at 24kts nearly vertical and almost instantly reached 300+ft _WHILE_ accelerating up to ~85kts in a matter of seconds!
Looks like the transponder resets to height above sea level at that point.
Nothing on flightaware .