10/23 Raptor Video

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Ken Boling

he is on a direct path for his place on an Airpark in Arkansas...
Runway is way too short for his normal landing method!
4800ft...alt is 1269

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Considering that the highest that plane has ever been is about 6,000', it would be an incredibly bad idea to attempt a flight over the Rockies. He's got to have another destination in mind.
While he should know how The Raptor flies higher than 6000', he does not need to get a whole lot higher. We have done the entire trip around the west by both southern and northern routes in a Cherokee. Monida Pass and then over to the Columbia River can get you to the west coast at no higher than 8500' if you are willing to be out of contact with radar and ADS-B In for big chunks. It is not like you are in no-man's-land either - you are flying the drainages and over highways for almost all of that route. If Canada were open, it takes even less altitude to follow Canada 1 through the Bow Valley and over the Continental Divide at Golden BC. That is a really nice flight with stunning views in the Bow and Columbia Valleys.

It did mean takeoffs from fields a lot higher than Valdosta, which means Peter will get experience with hot-high.

I worry far more over his being in or near the death zone for heat on the engine in his flying so far. Go out west in the summer with more time at high surface temps and lower air density, then and taking off hot/high? Ugh! Better do his departures for the highest stuff around dawn each day.

Billski

Last edited:

donjohnston

While he should know how The Raptor flies higher than 6000', he does not need to get a whole lot higher.
Except he's not on a course to take the southern route.
And I'm thinking (actually guessing) that he hasn't ventured higher than 6000 due to cooling issues... in the winter. If that's correct, there's no way he's going to get high enough to make the northern route in the summer.

His airpark in Arkansas does seem logical at this point.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
I made one or two trips back to California from the midwest, dog-leg down through the El Paso area, and never had to get very high at all. If I remember right, you could be down at 3,000 feet for most of that, not having to cross any significant mountains at all. In the El Paso area, I went past but not over Guadalupe Peak (highest point in TX), through a small airport called West Texas, basically following Interstate 10 all the way back to LA.

However... at this time of year our delightful SW USA weather along that route will create density altitudes that are still outside of anything the Raptor has dealt with.

And the old desert rat in me needs to mention that there are some pretty desolate and unfriendly areas on that route where he certainly would not want to have a mechanical issue, no matter what the temperature.

(Edit) I looked at the chart, and 3,000 feet was incorrect. The ground out there around El Paso is about 4000-4200 , so about 5000 MSL is what I would have been cruising through there in a T-craft.

Last edited:

donjohnston

I-90 Goes through Butte, MT. The airport at Butte (about 1 mile from I-90) is about 5,500'. And the mountains rise pretty steeply along I-90 in places.

Not a place I would want to be 1,000' AGL in a plane with marginal if not unknown performance characteristics.

malte

I-90 Goes through Butte, MT. The airport at Butte (about 1 mile from I-90) is about 5,500'. And the mountains rise pretty steeply along I-90 in places.

Not a place I would want to be 1,000' AGL in a plane with marginal if not unknown performance characteristics.

In general I would rather not be in mountainous areas with an aircraft with marginal performance and questionable soaring qualities. I reckon vertical winds in big mountains easily outperform the raptors ability to climb.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
It looks like three or more passes are called continental divide on 1-90. This might be the highest but might be other routes other than I-90.

Attachments

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
Except he's not on a course to take the southern route.
And I'm thinking (actually guessing) that he hasn't ventured higher than 6000 due to cooling issues... in the winter. If that's correct, there's no way he's going to get high enough to make the northern route in the summer.

His airpark in Arkansas does seem logical at this point.
Oh agreed, but neither requires a lot of altitude capability.

WINGITIS

Peevee

Pm posted to YouTube that he made his planned stop for the night but lost the parachute cover in flight and needs to fabricate another

231TC

His whole comment (posted on his latest video):
For those following flight aware it's not updating for some reason. I am safely on the ground at my planned stop for the day. The aircraft ran fine without any issues other than I lost the parachute cover panel again. So I have to make a new one today before heading to Arkansas tomorrow, weather permitting. Current location M95. Thanks.

PPLOnly

he is on a direct path for his place on an Airpark in Arkansas...
Runway is way too short for his normal landing method!
4800ft...alt is 1269
I didn’t realize he had a place at an airpark. I’m pretty confident he can land and stop comfortably in that distance. He coasts out after landing but he doesn’t need to.

Kyle Boatright

HBA Supporter

But... As he goes West, the overall terrain will rise. So, departing Valdosta with a field elevation of 300' (or whatever) and climbing to 6,000' means the airplane has the thermal capacity to climb 5,700'. If he starts with a field elevation of 2,000 or 3,000', he should be able to climb higher on his initial departure.

OTOH, if stuff is still falling off the airplane, I'm thinking it still isn't ready for prime time,