10/23 Raptor Video

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
And AFTER Oshkosh... he could quietly put it on a truck and ship it to the west coast.
Might as well truck it too Oshkosh. He already trucked it 250 miles to Valdosta. It isn't that difficult compared with flight risk and the need for recertification.

Marc Zeitlin

Exalted Grand Poobah
...Maybe he's bringing it to Oshkosh...
Only if he's willing to ignore the restrictions of his operating limitations, which limit him to a 50 NM radius around Valdosta.

There is always the chance that he'll know enough to apply for a modification to the OL's, or that he WON'T know enough to pay attention to his OL's.

I'd put the latter probability at 13.6%, the former probability at 4.8%, and the probability of it not going to OSH or the west coast under it's own power at 81.599999%, with a 0.000001% probability of it dematerializing and transmogrifying into a wolverine.

231TC

The last three flights (over six hours total) were done on consecutive days.
Not quite consecutive. Every other day for the last three flights.

The OSH idea actually sounds plausible. I hope he knows to turn off tracking on FlightAware so we don't see him depart to the north. I want to be surprised if he shows up.

Two months ago, I wouldn't have thought it was even possible to get there this year, but he's been grinding away at those hours. Even with the gaps, he's still averaging right around half an hour a day on the new engine. Seems slow, but I expected slower.

Wanttaja

If you assume the prototype Raptor is now an engine testbed, then what he's been flying is probably pretty close to what would be necessary.

IIRC, he's already said the production versions will be different. So whatever performance parameters he extracts from this testing are moot.

Ron Wanttaja

WINGITIS

Only if he's willing to ignore the restrictions of his operating limitations, which limit him to a 50 NM radius around Valdosta.

There is always the chance that he'll know enough to apply for a modification to the OL's, or that he WON'T know enough to pay attention to his OL's.

I'd put the latter probability at 13.6%, the former probability at 4.8%, and the probability of it not going to OSH or the west coast under it's own power at 81.599999%, with a 0.000001% probability of it dematerializing and transmogrifying into a wolverine.
The first engine DID dematerialize and transmogrify!!!!!!

Geraldc

Is this a too simple answer to the Raptor saga;
1/ put a known engine onto the Raptor Airframe
2/ put the AUDI Engine on a known airframe
and run parallel test programs, and keep the one that works our best !!!! ( or just junk the whole project )
1/ Only one airframe exists and is not presently available.

2/ If it was viable someone else would have done it.

ImperfectSense

1/ Only one airframe exists and is not presently available.

2/ If it was viable someone else would have done it.
I think what he means is to put the engine on a different type of aircraft, either a kit/experimental or even something certified, and use that JUST to test and develop the engine. Then take a certified engine and put it on Raptor, and use that to JUST test and develop the airframe.

This is essentially what everyone else does... except it's an engine company developing the engine on a known airframe and an airplane company developing the airplane with some engine that has already been tested and proven.

But even if you did that, there's still the fact that the cooling for an engine in one airframe can look very different to the cooling for that engine in a different airframe, and if you are switching it between a pusher and a puller then even more so, and there aren't that many pusher airframes out there you could slap this car engine on to further develop it.... and once you do get to the end and you have a refined airframe and a refined engine, you still have to integrate them and then test the integration.

Mad MAC

He probably going to announce a joint venture to develop an electric version, then the Mass & Power Plant issues won't matter at all.

Now I not sure if that is a joke or crystal ball gazing!

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
The last EPI web update was 2012. So might be out of business? Could give advice on the current Raptor conversion, if still in business.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
That Aircraft chapter was last updated 2012. I thought I read of no more V8 aircraft conversions, but can't find it again.

Attachments

Last edited:

J Galt

Lifetime Supporter
EPI isn't doing any more aircraft conversions and if you've read through that site, you can imagine Jack's comments.
Justin