10/23 Raptor Video

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Rataplan

Raptor is up again after 3 days down with good flying weather so must have been fixing some issue for a while.
Looks like another hour or so of figure-8s, appears to have landed back safely.
Lot of 8's with a repeating variation in speed. Probably testing things with the engine and prop.
At the end one steep descent till flare . Seems he flies the 8's at a hight and place where in case of engine failure he can turn in one decent safe to the runway .

PPLOnly

Lot of 8's with a repeating variation in speed. Probably testing things with the engine and prop.
At the end one steep descent till flare . Seems he flies the 8's at a hight and place where in case of engine failure he can turn in one decent safe to the runway .
This looks similar to when I cycled through all variations of prop pitch and RPM. Long before ADS-B though so I’m not totally sure what the plot would look like from GPS data. We’d leave it in each pitch setting for a time period to collect speed and fuel flow data.

Marc Zeitlin

Exalted Grand Poobah
I don't think that FAA registration information is technically a determiner of ownership...
I've gotten a lot better at not responding to incorrect information on the internet (WHAT! Incorrect information on the Internet? Who Knew?) and I'm not saying that "ImperfectSense" is incorrect here - this is more a comment about my inability to just let crap go, than about what the crap IS. SO much speculation about information that actually is public and available...

Anyway, as I mentioned previously, being mildly OCD, without much "C", I spent the $10 to get all the FAA's records on the Raptor (it's PUBLIC INFORMATION, FOLKS - ANYONE can get it if you've got a $10 bill burning a hole in your credit card, which apparently I did). Here's what it says:

The Airworthiness Certificate application, dated 08/27/2019, states that the builder's name is Peter J. Muller, and that the registered owner's name is Peter J. Muller.​
The 2nd AC application, dated 08/24/2020, states that the builder's name is Peter J. Muller, and that the registered owner's name is Peter J. Muller, and the program letter for the AC states that the registered owner is Peter J. Muller.​
The Registration application, dated 05/23/2019 states that the type of registration is "Individual" (NOT "Partnership", "Corporation", or "LLC") and that the registration applicant, Peter J. Muller, testifies that he is the registered owner of the aircraft. It does state that the Aircraft Manufacturer and Model is "Raptor Aircraft LLC/Prototype", but that's meaningless in the context of who the owner of N352TD is.​

So, on the two forms that one submits to the FAA in order to get an Airworthiness Certificate and a Registration, PM has stated categorically that he is the individual owner of this aircraft, and that's what the FAA believes (at least as of a month ago, when I received the documentation).

Now, what difference any of this makes as to what happens when the project goes TU and a bunch of folks have lost their investment, I have no clue. But at least it settles the question that apparently is fascinating a bunch of folks here about who owns the dang (was the other version of this, but the forum doesn't let one say that, apparently) thing :).

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
I think who owns the prototype is hardly an issue and the discussion got off track.
It's who owns Raptor Aircraft LLC that matters and I don't think that is public.
Raptor Aircraft LLC may own a $70k CNC machine and other assets.

Rataplan

I think who owns the prototype is hardly an issue and the discussion got off track.
It's who owns Raptor Aircraft LLC that matters and I don't think that is public.
Raptor Aircraft LLC may own a $70k CNC machine and other assets.
LOL and dont confuse with Deanna Allard's " V-Raptor Aircraft LLC "

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
LOL and dont confuse with Deanna Allard's " V-Raptor Aircraft LLC "
I don't find a connection with Deanna...
Owner of V-Raptor Aircraft LLC is shown here:

Flyfalcons

The variations in speed are due to flying circles with wind present. Slow upwind, fast downwind. For an hour.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
What's wrong with doing a 40 hour engine/PSRU endurance test if that's what he or they want first?

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Endurance testing can be done 100% on the ground with no risk to the airframe, the pilot, innocents on the ground, or the reputation of GA. "Flight test" is costly from any measure (financially, risk, emotionally, time, etc), so it's generally used efficiently as possible, using a building block approach to envelope expansion, resulting in a airplane with a fully cleared envelope. If Peter's intent is to burn through hundreds of hours of "endurance testing" and THEN explore the aerodynamic envelope, then his flight test planning prowess is as questionable as ever.

I suspect though, that his intent is exactly as described - he's trying to burn off some number of arbitrary hours and then declare victory. He's likely sweating every minute in the air, hoping against hope that the Hobbs clicks to the magic number before the next emergency.

Pilot Rick

Kerlo posts on here regularly. He helped early on with the Raptor kit plane but is no longer involved. He is a true gentleman and a scholar.

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Or if things keep failing he might choose to quit and install a traditional engine. Legally, he could declare victory at 15 hours and apply for a cross country flight permit. I think 40 hours engine testing program is a minimum. It should be capable of at least 20 trouble free hours before starting the airframe test program or ferry flights.

Rataplan

Well I talk about the Holding not a Branch , There are a lot of LLC's on her his and or Rud Taras (of the RUD AERO RA 2 carbon aerobatic plane) Lot of inactive LLC's Whatever, the RUD RA 2 looks cool on a picture but somehow that project stopped and dont know how many kits were sold or build. Perhaps only a prototype of the RA 2 and RA 3. Both were registered but deregistered Like all those LLC's . All look good designs and the RUD planes seems to be manufactured by christean eagle Somehow all nice designs what they show looks professional and they project big numbers in sales but for unknown reason after 1 prototype its quite silent

don january

Log Member
Having a new home built with a future of flight coming soon I follow this thread and ask myself ? what would I do different on test flying the Taylor-mono . I mainly thank goodness I don't have all those instruments/cooling to sweat over. Soon or should I say some day. The Raptor will need to go for altitude and show its stuff. I do most all my cheers for the craft itself and I'm pulling for it as I do for all aircraft trying to get their wing(s)

Rataplan

Having a new home built with a future of flight coming soon I follow this thread and ask myself ? what would I do different on test flying the Taylor-mono . I mainly thank goodness I don't have all those instruments/cooling to sweat over. Soon or should I say some day. The Raptor will need to go for altitude and show its stuff. I do most all my cheers for the craft itself and I'm pulling for it as I do for all aircraft trying to get their wing(s)
Tayler mono plane like Taylor J.T.1 Monoplane ?