Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: My heart is doing flip-flops over and over.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: My heart is doing flip-flops over and over.

Still drooling ...

Dale
    N319WF

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice, but I prefer something that can be handled (on the ground or water) by fewer people, something like the Grumman Widgeon that visited here today.

BJC

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One of my buddies at the airport was the last DC3Captain; the last scheduled DC3 US airline flight. I want to say 1966. The next week he moved up 6 numbers to the DC9. My mom was a Delta flight attendant 61-63. She said every time a DC3 was on the ramp, the cockpit would empty to go talk to the DC3 flight crew. A lot of those guys were still WW2 veterans so they wanted to see old friends, pilots or plane. There was a mechanic at my old regional airline who had inherited his dads DC3 on floats and Stearman. I think the DC3 was in the Seattle area where he kept the Stearman with him. I don’t know if he still has it or not.

4. Likes Pops liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sometime around 1974, Dad was was using his GI bill to get his Multi/ATP. The school he was using had a strait tail 310 and a 3. Two of my favorite twins. Long story short, he took us to FL, in the 3, as his xcountry. I got invited up front and was left alone flying the ol girl by myself for an hour at 13. Great memory.
    Last edited by Mcmark; March 14th, 2019 at 08:59 PM. Reason: Added detail
    Mark McKibben
    Clipped Cubby
    Tailwind project

Let us endeavor to live such that even the undertaker will be sorry. Mark Twain

6. Likes Pops liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I was learning to fly at CPS back in the 1970s, there was a beautiful brown and tan DC-3 done up as a luxury transport. There were also a few derelict B-18s rotting on the edge of the field.

It's the sound of the engines that really gets me, though...
    Hatz CB-1 Biplane
    Starduster SA-100 rebuild project for sale
    Fisher FP-404 (sold)
    ParaFan PPG (dormant project)
    Kolb Ultrastar (sold)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I spent a few hours poking around the flight line at Maxwell AFB, home of the Air War College, back around 1966 or early 1967. The ramp was full of C-47s, externally in military décor. Each had a general's name painted by the door, and the insides were the absolute epitome of luxury.

BJC

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Back in 1955 a local pilot bought a T-6 for a couple hundred bucks and flew it that summer. In the fall, he pulled it over in the high weeds and left it there, said it used to much fuel. One night 2 buddies and I were in it stripping instruments and someone must have called the cops. They were searching the tall weeds around the airplane with flashlights, we were down low in the cockpits. Someone had already removed the seats. Couple years latter, it was hauled off for junk during a clean up.
    A friend of mine older sister bought a Stearman for $600 and learned to fly in it. $600 was a lot of money in 1956. I bought a like new 1953, 2 dr, Ford with 23 K miles for $495.
    Pops

If its not there, it cost nothing, weighs nothing, and is 100% reliable.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by TFF View Post
    One of my buddies at the airport was the last DC3Captain; the last scheduled DC3 US airline flight. I want to say 1966. The next week he moved up 6 numbers to the DC9. My mom was a Delta flight attendant 61-63. She said every time a DC3 was on the ramp, the cockpit would empty to go talk to the DC3 flight crew. A lot of those guys were still WW2 veterans so they wanted to see old friends, pilots or plane. There was a mechanic at my old regional airline who had inherited his dads DC3 on floats and Stearman. I think the DC3 was in the Seattle area where he kept the Stearman with him. I don’t know if he still has it or not.
    Maybe that was the last for the majors, but there used to be a regular flight from Boston to Provincetown in a DC-3 that you could take in the '70s and maybe in the '80s. Airline was PBA (Provincetown Boston Airlines). As I recall, they had a very high time DC-3. It think it was supposed to have 55,000 hours on it or something. Kinda wish I'd taken a flight, but sometimes I hate spending money.
    ----------
    The videos don't do that much for me, but I suspect being there would.

There are medications which may be advisable for heart flip-flops if they go on for very long. ;-p

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In the 90's there was an air freight operation out of Salt lake International operating DC-3s

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    If you watch this video and your heart doesn't do flip- flops, check your pulse, you might be dead. I love the B-18 and the DC-3. Lack of money sure cramps my life style.
    Friend had a jump school for about 18 years in a hanger next door. I helped to maintain the B-18 and got to fly it once in a while. A LOVE the B-18. Another friend had a local cargo service and operated 18 at one time. One day we were taxing out in the B-18 and a Hogan Air Fright DC-3 was taxing out behind us. Told John, If I had a camera, I would run out and get a shot of both airplanes that was JUST happen to taxi out at the same time.
    Always wanted to get checked out in a DC-3. Darn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7mR5ldyRkc
    Pops. Was it your heart flip flopping ? Or was it that Wendy's Chili making you feel that way ? Great video and formation flying. Thanks
    Taylor- Mono, PDQ.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by don january View Post
    Pops. Was it your heart flip flopping ? Or was it that Wendy's Chili making you feel that way ? Great video and formation flying. Thanks
    No problem with Wendy's Chili, had some yesterday.

My neighbor had about a dozen DC-3 Prop Hubs for sale maybe 8 years ago, some company that hauls fish on the West Canada coast bought them. Wonder if they are still using DC-3's.

Anyone except me been watching Mickey put together a DC-3 ?

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...vers+episode+1

My older brother started with Piedmont Airlines in I think 1960 when they were flying DC-3's.
    Last edited by Pops; March 17th, 2019 at 11:57 AM.
    Pops

If its not there, it cost nothing, weighs nothing, and is 100% reliable.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Back during the 1980s and 1990s, I made dozens of jumps from DC-3s and hundreds from Beech 18s. My 500th tandem jump was from one of Jan’s DC-3s flying over the (now closed) California City drop zone. I have plenty of fond memories of the oldCal. iTunes!
    The Beechcraft D-18s had all three sizes of doors. The original, small, oval door was always a struggle. The post-war, air-stair door was better, but double-wide cargo doors were the easiest to get tandem students out.