My heart is doing flip-flops over and over.

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Pops, Mar 14, 2019.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Mar 15, 2019 #21

BJC

BJC

BJC

I spent a few hours poking around the flight line at Maxwell AFB, home of the Air War College, back around 1966 or early 1967. The ramp was full of C-47s, externally in military décor. Each had a general's name painted by the door, and the insides were the absolute epitome of luxury.

BJC

2. Mar 15, 2019 #22

Pops

Pops

Pops

Back in 1955 a local pilot bought a T-6 for a couple hundred bucks and flew it that summer. In the fall, he pulled it over in the high weeds and left it there, said it used to much fuel. One night 2 buddies and I were in it stripping instruments and someone must have called the cops. They were searching the tall weeds around the airplane with flashlights, we were down low in the cockpits. Someone had already removed the seats. Couple years latter, it was hauled off for junk during a clean up.
    A friend of mine older sister bought a Stearman for $600 and learned to fly in it. $600 was a lot of money in 1956. I bought a like new 1953, 2 dr, Ford with 23 K miles for $495.

3. Mar 17, 2019 #23

lr27

lr27

lr27

Maybe that was the last for the majors, but there used to be a regular flight from Boston to Provincetown in a DC-3 that you could take in the '70s and maybe in the '80s. Airline was PBA (Provincetown Boston Airlines). As I recall, they had a very high time DC-3. It think it was supposed to have 55,000 hours on it or something. Kinda wish I'd taken a flight, but sometimes I hate spending money.
    ----------
    The videos don't do that much for me, but I suspect being there would.

There are medications which may be advisable for heart flip-flops if they go on for very long. ;-p

4. Mar 17, 2019 #24

Bill-Higdon

Bill-Higdon

Bill-Higdon

In the 90's there was an air freight operation out of Salt lake International operating DC-3s

5. Mar 17, 2019 #25

don january

don january

don january

Pops. Was it your heart flip flopping ? Or was it that Wendy's Chili making you feel that way ?:gig: Great video and formation flying. Thanks

6. Mar 17, 2019 #26

Pops

Pops

Pops

No problem with Wendy's Chili, had some yesterday. :)

My neighbor had about a dozen DC-3 Prop Hubs for sale maybe 8 years ago, some company that hauls fish on the West Canada coast bought them. Wonder if they are still using DC-3's.

Anyone except me been watching Mickey put together a DC-3 ?

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=plane+savers+episode+1

My older brother started with Piedmont Airlines in I think 1960 when they were flying DC-3's.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019
  7. Mar 18, 2019 #27

Riggerrob

Riggerrob

Riggerrob

Back during the 1980s and 1990s, I made dozens of jumps from DC-3s and hundreds from Beech 18s. My 500th tandem jump was from one of Jan’s DC-3s flying over the (now closed) California City drop zone. I have plenty of fond memories of the oldCal. iTunes!
    The Beechcraft D-18s had all three sizes of doors. The original, small, oval door was always a struggle. The post-war, air-stair door was better, but double-wide cargo doors were the easiest to get tandem students out.