My heart is doing flip-flops over and over.

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Pops, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Mar 14, 2019 #1

Pops

Pops

Pops

If you watch this video and your heart doesn't do flip- flops, check your pulse, you might be dead. I love the B-18 and the DC-3. Lack of money sure cramps my life style.
    Friend had a jump school for about 18 years in a hanger next door. I helped to maintain the B-18 and got to fly it once in a while. A LOVE the B-18. Another friend had a local cargo service and operated 18 at one time. One day we were taxing out in the B-18 and a Hogan Air Fright DC-3 was taxing out behind us. Told John, If I had a camera, I would run out and get a shot of both airplanes that was JUST happen to taxi out at the same time.
    Always wanted to get checked out in a DC-3. Darn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7mR5ldyRkc

2. Mar 14, 2019 #2

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

Cocaine cowboy drug planes! Or Waco glider towing planes. Sure they hauled their share of passengers during the roaring era of aviation as well as their share of bananas. Wasn't doing a thing for me until the 6:25 mark. Guess I have a pulse then! Oh yeah buddy, that's the stuff.

This is the one that does it for me. I imagine I'm out searching for the River Lehte and I find it, just by riding that magic carpet of golden Christina's World straw... forever. Jumping hedgerows, dodging hay bales, chasing deer, flying down river beds... forgetting everything. Everything. I just want to be happy.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  3. Mar 14, 2019 #3

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Geez, look at the size of the rudder on the DC-3. I'm guessing it was a handfull when heavy and single-engine.

4. Mar 14, 2019 #4

Daleandee

Daleandee

Daleandee

Watching the DC-3 tends to make me drool on my keyboard ...

Dale
    N319WF

5. Mar 14, 2019 #5

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Oh heck I thought you were talking about the B-18 Bolo, which was the "DC-3 on steroids" bomber...

bmcj, cluttonfred and Voidhawk9 like this.
  6. Mar 14, 2019 #6

TFF

TFF

TFF

I was doing a pre-buy on an aircraft South of Atlanta and in the shop getting some avionics upgrades was a super pretty B-18; I think I have seen it at Oshkosh. Executive transport first class. On the ramp was a sad looking tri-gear version with no engines. There was a local cargo one where the guy would doze flying his; no autopilot. He would hear the engines change or something and nudge the wheel to straighten it up. Flew it all over. Even saw it on the main Fed Ex ramp next to DC10s during Christmas years and years ago. His was ex Navy and we had a sister one at A&P school; exact same paint job. No one had messed with it for years so me and another guy checked over the good engine and got it running.

There was a local cargo company that had DC3s. The owner also raced T-6s at Reno. More than once his or some of the other T-6 guys would intercept a DC3 coming back and fly formation or fighter cover back to the airport. They had tri- gear 18s too. Had to trade them all for Merlins to keep up with the times.

7. Mar 14, 2019 #7

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Read a story once about a C-47 (DC-3) in Europe during WW2.

The plane had been shot up so much that the crew decided to bail out.

They started walking, and after a few miles came upon a large field. There was their plane just sitting there. It had landed itself!

8. Mar 14, 2019 #8

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

Those are pretty, though my heart goes pitter-patter for even older planes of wood and fabric...Shuttleworth, Old Rhinebeck, etc. Still, there is something special about a DC-3. I recently heard about the Mauritania using a Basler aircraft for reconnaissance, it only later occurred to me that they were referring to a BT-67 turbobrop conversion of a DC-3/C-47. It's amazing how many of those are still in regular service around the world: https://www.baslerturbo.com/bt-67-worldwide.html

5T-MAH Basler.jpg

9. Mar 14, 2019 #9

Pops

Pops

Pops

Friend of mine used to haul freight in a DC-3. Took a load of auto parts and on the return trip put the 3 on auto-pilot and took the other pilot in the back an taught him a hard lesson on thunder storm avoidance over the mountains that night.

10. Mar 14, 2019 #10

BJC

BJC

BJC

To my eye, a polished Beech 18 on straight floats is a thing of beauty.

BJC

Pops likes this.
  11. Mar 14, 2019 #11

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

cluttonfred

OK, I think I missed a joke in there somewhere. Huh?

bmcj likes this.
  12. Mar 14, 2019 #12

WBNH

WBNH

WBNH

Classic.

Once fished up in Canada. Flew commercial from Boston/Logan to Toronto then Winnipeg. Drove over to Red Lake, Ontario and hopped a Beech 18 on Floats to Birch Lake. No seats...just jump benches on either side. Other than the Trimotor ride at Oshkosh, it was the coolest vintage flight I've ever taken.

13. Mar 14, 2019 #13

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Got one ride in a Beech 18, when we landed there were about 12 fewer passengers than when we took off :)

MadRocketScientist likes this.
  14. Mar 14, 2019 #14

tralika

tralika

tralika

Anybody get a count on the number of cylinders in that formation?

15. Mar 14, 2019 #15

Pops

Pops

Pops

Many rides in the right seat in the B-18 jump plane. Most of the jumpers were very nervous until we got high enough were they could jump out. I told many a load of 12 that there just wasn't enough of them to get me out of that door. :)
    John kept asking me to be his backup pilot. No WAY, those jumper would grab the keys out of the mag switch in the Straight Tail C- 182 ( with a Cont 520 engine) and go out the door with the key in their hand.
    SAM ( not true name FAA) said he would help out if John couldn't do it. I met SAM about 50 years ago when I landed at a small grass field for the first time and he was changing oil in his Luscombe. The field has been closed for about 40 years now. Sam said maybe since he would be flying for hire, maybe he should get his private license. So John gave SAM his private license and SAM helped out when needed. Also made SAM feel better flying his C-310 twin.

The B-18 was a drug airplane bought at an auction in FA. Flew it home and on landing the right wheel brake was locked up and went off the right side of the runway and down the side of a 400' high hill close to the Ohio river. Tree strump went into the rudder pedals and get both props and engines and engine mounts and banged up LE of the wings. Took us 2 years to get it flying again. Also put wider sky-diving door on with outside foot and hand rails so 4 could be on the outside and the other 8 lined up ready to jump. Someone had put auto brake fluid in and the oil rings swelled up and locked the brake up . John flew the B-18 many years.
    In the winter John would take the 18 to FA or CA for the winter hauling jumpers and one winter in CA someone wanted a B-18 to put on floats in Canada and make an offer the John couldn't refuse. When John got home he bought a C-411. Huge mistake, big pile of junk. The tail never quit cycling in yah and pitch. Another story.
    Like to know where the 18 is at. If I could see it, I could pick it out of others. Know most of the airplane very well.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  16. Mar 15, 2019 #16

Daleandee

Daleandee

Daleandee

Still drooling ...

Dale
    N319WF

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2019
  17. Mar 15, 2019 #17

BJC

BJC

BJC

Nice, but I prefer something that can be handled (on the ground or water) by fewer people, something like the Grumman Widgeon that visited here today.

BJC

18. Mar 15, 2019 #18

TFF

TFF

TFF

One of my buddies at the airport was the last DC3Captain; the last scheduled DC3 US airline flight. I want to say 1966. The next week he moved up 6 numbers to the DC9. My mom was a Delta flight attendant 61-63. She said every time a DC3 was on the ramp, the cockpit would empty to go talk to the DC3 flight crew. A lot of those guys were still WW2 veterans so they wanted to see old friends, pilots or plane. There was a mechanic at my old regional airline who had inherited his dads DC3 on floats and Stearman. I think the DC3 was in the Seattle area where he kept the Stearman with him. I don’t know if he still has it or not.

Pops likes this.
  19. Mar 15, 2019 #19

Mcmark

Mcmark

Mcmark

Sometime around 1974, Dad was was using his GI bill to get his Multi/ATP. The school he was using had a strait tail 310 and a 3. Two of my favorite twins. Long story short, he took us to FL, in the 3, as his xcountry. I got invited up front and was left alone flying the ol girl by myself for an hour at 13. Great memory.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    Pops likes this.
  20. Mar 15, 2019 #20

Dana

Dana

Dana

When I was learning to fly at CPS back in the 1970s, there was a beautiful brown and tan DC-3 done up as a luxury transport. There were also a few derelict B-18s rotting on the edge of the field.

It's the sound of the engines that really gets me, though...