Thread: Brutality Today

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re: Brutality Today

Such huge planes back then...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Marketing. Amelia and Louise were rarities and news fodder back then. i know that Louise had a force of character that would put most any guy who said that "women should stay home and raise kids" in his place. CG, you would have found a kindred spirit. She did not mind getting her hands dirty and knew and learned a lot in a time that looked on such as an aberration.

Louise Thaden lived near us and would visit. her husband did a lot of development with fibreglas pipe manufacturing. She was full of stories and could outfly any of us young kids. I was privileged to fly with her a couple of times. Nitpicked every landing I made, tho I did finally listen and learned a bit. She never seemed the least bit jealous of Amelia. Wonderful lady, it was a privilege to have met her.

Derswede

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Amelia had engine problems and stopped at a local airport and had to wait for a new engine. A friend of mine has the old engine off her airplane. I have a picture of her while she was here.

My mother could have done the same thing. Blond Irish girl that was as beautiful as any Hollywood star in the 1930's and had a wonderful personality and well educated and well read. Loved to hotrod the family Duesenberg and could out drive most men. Also could fix and build most anything. Way before her time as a woman.
    Pops

If its not there, it cost nothing, weighs nothing, and is 100% reliable.

4. Likes billyvray liked this post
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you plan to land on runway 38, maybe stick with tanzen instead of fliegen.
    ​simplify.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

134 inches won't clear island unless it's folded down or I land sideways.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If I was insane I could probably land on Runway 38 with the Volmer, if someone in the truck was pulling it down the runway at 22 mph. I'd want some kind of braking or locking mechanism to keep the plane from rolling off... Fred Flintstone feet would not cut it. Guaranteed to be a neat trick and the first carrier landing at the local airport in my landlocked small town. Airport manager would probably get his panties in a wad about driving a truck all over his shot out old runway :-/

As for the aircraft carrier look, I could actually make a really detailed 3D island control tower out of cardboard boxes or wood like a doll house to just set in the right spot on the deck, and grab it off and stuff it in the truck when I wanted to go. Be more convincing than a fold up flat panel siloette and I could have nice little balconies around it and flag on top and antennas. Lights and motorized radar dish or whatever nonsense..

I need to score some GI Joe dolls at a Thrift store or somewhere and dot them around the carrier and give them HBA handle names.
    I got a nice 1:32 Mitsubishi Zero to put Topaz in dive bombing the carrier from a behind the plane perspective from up in the loft :-)
    Score like a toy half track with AA gun in the back or something, and take the AA gun off and put it on the carrier deck with
    I dunno, Little Scrapper returning fire.

Make Pops like the Admiral or something up in the control tower and Pictsidhe waving the Corsairs off for a takeoff. Dunno, have to go through my threads and make a list of all you guys that have ever posted to them... not playing favorites here, just rattling off absolutely random names off the top of my head.

I got plenty of Monster High zombie dolls and Barbi dolls but I think you guys would balk at that and scream bloody murder... so GI Joe it is or something else. Where the phrack am I going to get that many though... scour the thrift stores over time.

Those green little plastic army men are dirt cheap... dollar store gets me a whole bag of them. Not a lot of personality to them though. You know, the kind you step on like Legos in the carpet at night and go ow ow.

Still in the shipyard dry dock being built because 10 parts mulling things over, 20 parts procrastinating and putting things off, 2 parts actually doing any work: http://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/fo...chmentid=78862
    Last edited by choppergirl; March 6th, 2019 at 03:44 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by choppergirl View Post
    ... I got a nice 1:32 Mitsubishi Zero to put Topaz in dive bombing the carrier from a behind the plane perspective from up in the loft :-)...
    Nonsense. If I'm flying a WWII-era fighter, it's going to be an Me-262, Me-163, or P-51.
    "If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them." - Henry David Thoreau

Design Project: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider
    Discussion Thread for the Project: Discussion: Conceptual Design of an "Inexpensive" Single-Seat Motorglider

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

P-61 Black Widow, something about shooting the enemy in the dark when they don't know you're even there that appeals to me.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Something unusual. Arsenal VG-33, perhaps.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
    Nonsense. If I'm flying a WWII-era fighter, it's going to be an Me-262, Me-163, or P-51.

Well, you're in luck, 262 it is. Has retractable wheels, pilot, and opening gun compartment but I wanted to be quick with the photo before my cat wandered off. Me 262 is 1:1 scale - my cat is 3 stories tall.

I had a P-51, but gave it away last month to my visiting German glider pilot uncle, his choice from my collection. Also have 1:32 P-40 with Flying Tiger Chinese markings, FW-190, three BF-109s of various paint schemes, Fokker Triplane, Spad, Camel, and DVII. Somewhere maybe a 1:18 Stuka, if it didn't get thrown away, but probably did. I didn't build or paint these, you could buy these at the Toys R Us this way at one time for about $15 each. Toys R Us is now defunct.

Last edited by choppergirl; March 8th, 2019 at 04:01 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by choppergirl View Post

Well, you're in luck, 262 it is. Has retractable wheels, pilot, and opening gun compartment but I wanted to be quick with the photo before my cat wandered off. Me 262 is 1:1 scale - my cat is 3 stories tall.

I had a P-51, but gave it away last month to my visiting German glider pilot uncle, his choice from my collection. Also have 1:32 P-40 with Flying Tiger Chinese markings, FW-190, three BF-109s of various paint schemes, Fokker Triplane, Spad, Camel, and DVII. Somewhere maybe a 1:18 Stuka, if it didn't get thrown away, but probably did. I didn't build or paint these, you could buy these at the Toys R Us this way at one time for about $15 each. Toys R Us is now defunct.

P-51s are everywhere, yawn. I'd like to build a 262 after the Hurricane...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Weather is back to 70F... so I can pour on the gas like a lead foot... back to work... another 9 hours today slugging away...

Made another part.. a metal plate to sandwich the 2x4 into the L channel... I want the front edge of this trailer to be fastened down strong enough, that if I hit a road sign with the corner of the trailer, that road sign is going... DOWN MUTHA!

Drilling, drilling, drilling... and more drilling. So much drilling behind me, so much drilling still ahead of me...

I gave myself a deadline to finish this thing... end of tax seasion, April 15th... that's about 5 weeks from now. If there's nothing but clear weather ahead, maybe I can pull it off...
    Last edited by choppergirl; March 9th, 2019 at 09:36 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All torque wrench bolted together, loctited, and then golden gate painted over the bolts...

I couldn't find the ancient Data Plate thread, where we were talking about using Ebay Dogtag like Plate stamping services to make data plates for aircraft... so I guess I'll post it here.

I "home built" this data plate today using an Engine Stamping Die Kit into a piece of painted aluminum siding. This C shaped data plate wraps around the C channel frame, and I'll put a long pop rivet in each corner on the top and bottom sides to hold it on (finished install pictured below):

VICTORIA CHOPPERGIRL AIRWAR 2019

I thought of filling in the counter-relief stamped letters with black shoe polish, enamel paint, crayon (like those guys do with D&D dice), or Indian Ink. I decided to be the first guinea pig and tried Crayon first, putting it in my toaster oven to try and melt and flow into the letters but I didn't really melt or flow, just made the metal hot so you could more easily press crayon in. Lighter colored crayons seemed to lose their color when heated

Next I tried the Indian Ink, which seemed to really go into the dimple corners which helped define the letters... so I went with that look

I sprayed some glossy clear coat over it to seal in the ink, which is why it looks a bit wet still until it dries.

I found the cut soft end grain of a two by four works best behind your metal when stamping, as opposed to trying use it lengthwise with the grain.

If you screw up, phosphoric acid will clean out any coloration attempts... I was fine with some blue crayon still being in there so I didn't worry about it too much.
    Last edited by choppergirl; March 14th, 2019 at 05:09 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Three years ago...

I knew this was taking forever! Prove them wrong, and drag yourself back up and slug away at it a little bit more every day.

It ain't about how hard you hit... it's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take, and keep moving forward...
    that's how winning is done.
    Last edited by choppergirl; March 14th, 2019 at 11:14 PM.