Brutality Today

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by choppergirl, Aug 4, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Apr 19, 2019 #321

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Good to see progress and that you are finally getting that trailer ready to roll.
    Please do not attempt even taxi-ing the poorgirl with the trike gear, that sounds like it is poorly balanced and is very likely to end extremely badly if you get it airborne on your 3000' runway. I could blah on with physics and maths, but you'd fall asleep...
    Follow Billski's universal advice and follow plans, at least until you understand exactly why they were drawn that way!

2. Apr 21, 2019 #322

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

[​IMG]

Volmer chassis on right

[​IMG]

Screwed down only in the center corners (which is why it looks wavy), had to paint all the edges first (got them propped up), and some scavenged vinyl siding trim slips under the right and left edge as last step. Rather proud of all my corners.

Can't answer any replies atm, fingers covered in sticky enamel paint, dead tired and dehydrated. Going home until tomorrow....

~

I cried all the way home, why did it have to be so hard and take so long...

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
  3. Apr 21, 2019 #323

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

It is only a matter of time, it is going to get some dirt on it. Hurray!

4. Apr 24, 2019 #324

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

I roll with some old gangstas.... think I'd look dististinguished with a beard like that?

Differential Ailerons, Greg's video in question:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  5. Apr 30, 2019 #325

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

You spend a $100 bucks on a hamburger; I save $100 bucks by making my own Trailer Ramps. :)

I posted these to homebuiltaircrafttrailerramps.com.... used lots of pop rivets and grinder action and propane tank paint... derusted their rusty butt with phosphoric acid and painted them with old school brown rusty metal primer.... that stuffs da bomb, it dries quick in the sun.

Top side, with channels for wheels to roll down:

[​IMG]

Had a fun time improvised engineering with a sledge hammer on some steel L channel bending it from 90 degrees to 60 degrees, to make an edge that slides into a slot along the back edge of my trailer.

Bottom sides, pop riveted in every 6 inches, you can see the 60 degree channel steel that hooks into the back edge of the trailer:

[​IMG]

Kind of a neat design out of corrugated building roof steel I thought. Very light weight, about the same weight for the same size made out of chunky wood, and super strong; but I paid with it with them being very labor intensive to make.... most of my time was taking all that wicked rust off first which you wouldn't have to so if you used new material. I should patent them :) and compete with the Chinese and sell them as 100" ramp for $100 at HF. These I made 60" to fit my super low trailer, but in restrospect I should of went 75" or 85" like the HF ones so I could dual purpose use them for loading stuff up into the back of a pickup truck.

Also, if I had to make them again (which I just might if I make a second longer set for pickup truck loading of say a riding lawn mower).... with a little more work I could make them "flippable" so you could use them either side up... and they would hang properly off any edge.

~

My friend had a cat the other day in the yard that had a stroke and couldn't move anything but it's head anymore, and those slackers weren't going to do anything; I told them it was going to die of dehydration if they just left it there, so I took him home and started taking care of him. The cage is for his own protection so my other cat can't get him or any dogs when I put him outside on the porch to enjoy the view of the pecan orchard. He's very well behaved and a sweetheart... it was 86F today and I gave him a bath for the first time, like 5 hours earlier that this picture, so his hair though dry looks messed up because he can't lick it down, and he looks rather pathetic probably from the flash from my camera.

[​IMG]

I nicknamed him Special Needs Kitty.. but I was thinking, you know, he can't move, I should take him flying some day and make videos of it... that would be fun, people would think I'm absolutely nucking futz, taking a cat that would freak out flying in an ultralight.

I think I might give him a more optimistic name and call him CoPilot Kitty. I know he ain't going to try to grab the stick away from me. Maybe he will last that long. If he does, he's getting a flight.

No need to post the video of the cat in the wing, we've all seen it.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
  6. Apr 30, 2019 #326

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

Some animals like flying, it freaks some of them out. I don't know how you tell with an animal that can barely move anymore, but I know you don't want to freak him out so think about it.

7. May 3, 2019 #327

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

So I engineered my trailer for a universal bolt on hitch... but guess what, the truck hitch is way up on the bumper,tilting my trailer, making the back end low which might scrape going into gas stations, and decreasing my turning radius substantially.

Even though I had a HF Bolt On Universal Square Hitch Receiver, the same one I installed on my friends Taurus to go pick up the Volmer, after studying the Truck bumper there was absolutely no way to mount one. Shout out to truck manufactuers: go shoot yourself.

After searching all the trailer supply places online and finding no equivalent solution, you would not believe what Apollo 13 gadget I had to engineer up with the other day, with what I had available, to raise tilted back end up so trailer is level,and also increase my turning radius a bit.

[​IMG]

The "Gadget" (on left, with wrong size ball in it (I didn't know in this photo, correct ball is next to it):

[​IMG]

As if that wasn't bad enough, I found out the ball on my hacked one was 2 inch with larger hole size for 2 inch ball, so I had to engineer a sleeve...

[​IMG]

Finished, ready to roll, trailer level... and with a little bit more turning radius...

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2019
  8. May 3, 2019 #328

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

That is one way to not buy a receiver hitch.

9. May 3, 2019 #329

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Hephaestus

Ugh. Please don't take that on the road,

A self serve wrecker 50$ and you could have a proper trailer hitch. That's just plain unsafe.

10. May 3, 2019 #330

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

I think he is saying your hitch will likely swivel in actual use and bind up with the trailer making a mess, and possibly cause a wreck.

11. May 3, 2019 #331

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

You can likely salvage a receiver hitch to fit your truck for a reasonable amount of money. It will save you embarrassment, frustration and in the end be less expensive.

12. May 4, 2019 #332

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Nice 300lb hitch. Now you just need a toy trailer for it.

13. May 4, 2019 #333

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Don't want to pile on here but that hitch is just fine - for pulling things around the yard. I've seen a few trailers go autonomous and it never ends well, even with the safety chains attached.

I know it's more work but the proper way to fix this is to put a longer "Z" on the trailer. You need all of the angle you can get to make it back up in tight places. I had to do the "Z" to my little trailer last year because new trucks are so much taller. Was worth my time even though I could have just plugged a drop into the receiver.
    Some cheap castors on the back corners, or even skateboard skids, can help with the scraping.

14. May 4, 2019 #334

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

That bolt through the bumper should be much larger. Same size as the ball bolt.

15. May 4, 2019 #335

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

No, bigger. It has more leverage on it. That is assuming it is the same grade. If cheese grade, bigger again. But then, the 'receiver' may not be meaty enough.

Best plan would be to buy or weld up a proper towbar frame that bolts to the chassis. Failing that, use the standard position ball and live with the droop.
    It might be possible to weld a receiver onto the underside of the S10 bumper. I'll have a look at mine on Monday.

16. May 4, 2019 #336

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Looks like the same lever arm distance to me. I assume the flange bar prevents swivel or could be fitted with a steel bar welded on.
    Check out this rig that went across the country. That's a two seat tow car.

Attached Files:

17. May 4, 2019 #337

Geraldc

Geraldc

Geraldc

18. May 4, 2019 #338

Dana

Dana

Dana

Yes, the bolt holding the hitch should be at least as large as the stud on the ball... and throw that square nut in the scrap bin, use a proper grade 5 or 8 bolt and lock nut. Other than that, it looks at least as strong as the homemade hitch I put on an ancient Oldsmobile station wagon and towed an even older Winnebago camper around the northeast. Just be sure the bumper itself is strong enough to handle the load trying to twist it, and that the hitch can't pivot on the bolt.

19. May 4, 2019 #339

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Hot Wings

Similar size but it's in essentially double shear on a pin with no stress risers, not a 10 to one lever through the threads of a rusty bolt in addition to the longitudinal loads.

50 pound tongue weight at 10 to one lever(estimated)and a 10G load from potholes = 5000 pounds on that bolt in tension. (FOS=1)

If that notch does keep things from twisting around the bolt, a king size bolt with a properly torqued lock nut, might make this a safe combination.

20. May 4, 2019 #340

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

This has been done before LOL. Get a receiver mount from the junkyard to fit the truck, done.