Brutality Today

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by choppergirl, Aug 4, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Mar 5, 2019 #281

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

[video=youtube;DzsV7FIsPzM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DzsV7FIsPzM[/video]

After I get the black and white runway painted on the trailer, I'm planning on adding two fold out panels to it... the first, a triangle launch runway off the left side, and the second, a fold up vertical flat conning control tower on the right side, so the whole things looks like a faux aircraft carrier deck for RC planes or my three 1:18 scale (wing span 26.5") static BBI Corsair models of which I scored at Toys R Us close out for $15 each.

They'll fold down on hinges and lay flat, so shouldn't interfere with carrying my ultralight airplanes on the trailer at all. Take it and models inside the truck cab, to the local airshow when I trailer my plane or a local RC event, and set them all up. Local yearly airplane air show is on it's last legs of pathetic life support (though the gyroplane one at same airport seems to be doing great), so maybe I can reinvigorate it with my colorful contributions before it bites the big one and is gone forever.

[​IMG]

If anybody wants to try their hand at landing their RC model on 20ft deck, I'll clear off the three static models and maybe set up a little badminton net off the end or something to catch them if they don't stop in time rather than plunking off the end.

The bonus for me is I have at least one project "finished" to take to the air shows and show (maybe with unfinished plane on top), before my planes are finished. I put an assload of work into this stupid trailer from the free craigslist rust bucket it once was, Taking apart those rusted solid together leaf springs and rusted out rims and refurbing those rusted and pitted axles and repainting them all was really a royal labor intensive long drawn out PITA. I want to be worth seeing in it's own right.

I might run RGB addressable LED strips down the side too to sync with an mp3 player music system: dunno, that's a pretty penny and not sure how visible they are in daylight or weather resistant.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2019
  2. Mar 5, 2019 #282

lr27

lr27

lr27

I could land a model on that easily, except that the wings would probably be too long and hit the island.

3. Mar 5, 2019 #283

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

[​IMG]

Okay, maybe some detailed painting on my part to make a realistic control tower in grey, but roughly, like this:

[​IMG]

80" wide, and island isn't an island, it's a flat vertical panel on right side looking like control tower. Land in the middle, you got 40" to either side, or land on the left half, you got 60" :) The winch pole up front is gone so no worries there.

Whoever pulls it off on 20ft of carrier deck without rolling off the edge into the ocean of imaginary sharks and mermaids, I give them a prize or cold drink or medal or sticker or something.

Two strips of 16.4' WS2812B individually addressable LEDs down the sides will look at least banging nice when parked in my dark shop or at night in my front yard.

It's mainly a general purpose light weight flat trailer (i.e. aircraft carrier) to haul my ultralight airplanes or project planes if not finished (the big real person pilot sitting in them kind) back and forth to the local airport or local air show - and also to go rescue ultralight projects too good to pass up nobody else will touch with a ten foot pole, that I might come across in the future.

~

That carrier deck looks more grey than black in the picture... my plyboard is already painted a footprint hiding gray... maybe I should leave it that way and paint white outlined by black lines and shadowed numbers on it...

[​IMG]

Runway black or Carrier grey?

I think black *pops* more, but grey *sells* the carrier illusion more...

(grey also matches the I-beam and door color of the shop and i could paint the shelves to match) with some matching Latex Grey I have.

4. Mar 5, 2019 #284

bifft

bifft

bifft

choppergirl likes this.
  5. Mar 5, 2019 #285

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

Man that's nice and rectangular. Somewhere in the back of my mind I knew the WW2 ones use to be rectangular...

[​IMG]

I was trying to think what I could use for an arresting cable / hook for RC planes, and I thought, you know a table tennis net would be perfect.

A friend who worked at B&N gave me some little close out kit toy, which I stuffed in the closet... I looked under the plastic and low and behold, yes, a net!

Those bite size paddles could be used to like wave the airplanes in... you're too high, you're too low, left, right, abort and fly around!, whatever they do...

I might add a 3rd trapezoid fold out extension up in front for the front of the carrier, to extend over the hitch and hide it.... maybe give just a little longer landing length...

I suppose crossways you could set the net up down the dashed line middle and play a really low game of table tennis across it.

If the rubber suction cups don't stick on the painted uretane plyboard, I'll have to staple some tin spots in strategic areas on top of the plyboard or replace the suction cups with something else.

Maybe I better make sure this thing can withstand some dancers on it... because I definitely want that part of my air show.

[video=youtube;1VUSxO8w10w]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VUSxO8w10w[/video]

6. Mar 5, 2019 #286

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

Such huge planes back then...

7. Mar 5, 2019 #287

Derswede

Derswede

Derswede

Marketing. Amelia and Louise were rarities and news fodder back then. i know that Louise had a force of character that would put most any guy who said that "women should stay home and raise kids" in his place. CG, you would have found a kindred spirit. She did not mind getting her hands dirty and knew and learned a lot in a time that looked on such as an aberration.

Louise Thaden lived near us and would visit. her husband did a lot of development with fibreglas pipe manufacturing. She was full of stories and could outfly any of us young kids. I was privileged to fly with her a couple of times. Nitpicked every landing I made, tho I did finally listen and learned a bit. She never seemed the least bit jealous of Amelia. Wonderful lady, it was a privilege to have met her.

Derswede

8. Mar 5, 2019 #288

Pops

Pops

Pops

Amelia had engine problems and stopped at a local airport and had to wait for a new engine. A friend of mine has the old engine off her airplane. I have a picture of her while she was here.

My mother could have done the same thing. Blond Irish girl that was as beautiful as any Hollywood star in the 1930's and had a wonderful personality and well educated and well read. Loved to hotrod the family Duesenberg and could out drive most men. Also could fix and build most anything. Way before her time as a woman.

billyvray likes this.
  9. Mar 6, 2019 #289

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

Armchair Mafia Conspirator HBA Supporter

If you plan to land on runway 38, maybe stick with tanzen instead of fliegen.

10. Mar 6, 2019 #290

lr27

lr27

lr27

134 inches won't clear island unless it's folded down or I land sideways.

11. Mar 6, 2019 #291

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

[​IMG]

If I was insane I could probably land on Runway 38 with the Volmer, if someone in the truck was pulling it down the runway at 22 mph. I'd want some kind of braking or locking mechanism to keep the plane from rolling off... Fred Flintstone feet would not cut it. Guaranteed to be a neat trick and the first carrier landing at the local airport in my landlocked small town. Airport manager would probably get his panties in a wad about driving a truck all over his shot out old runway :-/

As for the aircraft carrier look, I could actually make a really detailed 3D island control tower out of cardboard boxes or wood like a doll house to just set in the right spot on the deck, and grab it off and stuff it in the truck when I wanted to go. Be more convincing than a fold up flat panel siloette and I could have nice little balconies around it and flag on top and antennas. Lights and motorized radar dish or whatever nonsense..

I need to score some GI Joe dolls at a Thrift store or somewhere and dot them around the carrier and give them HBA handle names.
    I got a nice 1:32 Mitsubishi Zero to put Topaz in dive bombing the carrier from a behind the plane perspective from up in the loft :)
    Score like a toy half track with AA gun in the back or something, and take the AA gun off and put it on the carrier deck with
    I dunno, Little Scrapper returning fire.

Make Pops like the Admiral or something up in the control tower and Pictsidhe waving the Corsairs off for a takeoff. Dunno, have to go through my threads and make a list of all you guys that have ever posted to them... not playing favorites here, just rattling off absolutely random names off the top of my head.

I got plenty of Monster High zombie dolls and Barbi dolls but I think you guys would balk at that and scream bloody murder... so GI Joe it is or something else. Where the phrack am I going to get that many though... scour the thrift stores over time.

Those green little plastic army men are dirt cheap... dollar store gets me a whole bag of them. Not a lot of personality to them though. You know, the kind you step on like Legos in the carpet at night and go ow ow.

Still in the shipyard dry dock being built because 10 parts mulling things over, 20 parts procrastinating and putting things off, 2 parts actually doing any work: https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/album.php?albumid=747&attachmentid=78862

Last edited: Mar 6, 2019
  12. Mar 6, 2019 #292

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator

Nonsense. If I'm flying a WWII-era fighter, it's going to be an Me-262, Me-163, or P-51. :gig:

13. Mar 8, 2019 #293

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

P-61 Black Widow, something about shooting the enemy in the dark when they don't know you're even there that appeals to me.

14. Mar 8, 2019 #294

lr27

lr27

lr27

Something unusual. Arsenal VG-33, perhaps.

15. Mar 8, 2019 #295

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

[​IMG]

Well, you're in luck, 262 it is. Has retractable wheels, pilot, and opening gun compartment but I wanted to be quick with the photo before my cat wandered off. Me 262 is 1:1 scale - my cat is 3 stories tall.

I had a P-51, but gave it away last month to my visiting German glider pilot uncle, his choice from my collection. Also have 1:32 P-40 with Flying Tiger Chinese markings, FW-190, three BF-109s of various paint schemes, Fokker Triplane, Spad, Camel, and DVII. Somewhere maybe a 1:18 Stuka, if it didn't get thrown away, but probably did. I didn't build or paint these, you could buy these at the Toys R Us this way at one time for about $15 each. Toys R Us is now defunct.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
  16. Mar 9, 2019 #296

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

P-51s are everywhere, yawn. I'd like to build a 262 after the Hurricane...

17. Mar 9, 2019 #297

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

Weather is back to 70F... so I can pour on the gas like a lead foot... back to work... another 9 hours today slugging away...

Made another part.. a metal plate to sandwich the 2x4 into the L channel... I want the front edge of this trailer to be fastened down strong enough, that if I hit a road sign with the corner of the trailer, that road sign is going... DOWN MUTHA!

[​IMG]

Drilling, drilling, drilling... and more drilling. So much drilling behind me, so much drilling still ahead of me...

[​IMG]

I gave myself a deadline to finish this thing... end of tax seasion, April 15th... that's about 5 weeks from now. If there's nothing but clear weather ahead, maybe I can pull it off...

18. Mar 14, 2019 #298

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

All torque wrench bolted together, loctited, and then golden gate painted over the bolts...

[​IMG]

I couldn't find the ancient Data Plate thread, where we were talking about using Ebay Dogtag like Plate stamping services to make data plates for aircraft... so I guess I'll post it here.

I "home built" this data plate today using an Engine Stamping Die Kit into a piece of painted aluminum siding. This C shaped data plate wraps around the C channel frame, and I'll put a long pop rivet in each corner on the top and bottom sides to hold it on (finished install pictured below):

[​IMG]
    VICTORIA CHOPPERGIRL AIRWAR 2019

I thought of filling in the counter-relief stamped letters with black shoe polish, enamel paint, crayon (like those guys do with D&D dice), or Indian Ink. I decided to be the first guinea pig and tried Crayon first, putting it in my toaster oven to try and melt and flow into the letters but I didn't really melt or flow, just made the metal hot so you could more easily press crayon in. Lighter colored crayons seemed to lose their color when heated

Next I tried the Indian Ink, which seemed to really go into the dimple corners which helped define the letters... so I went with that look

I sprayed some glossy clear coat over it to seal in the ink, which is why it looks a bit wet still until it dries.

I found the cut soft end grain of a two by four works best behind your metal when stamping, as opposed to trying use it lengthwise with the grain.

If you screw up, phosphoric acid will clean out any coloration attempts... I was fine with some blue crayon still being in there so I didn't worry about it too much.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  19. Mar 15, 2019 #299

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

Three years ago...

[​IMG]

I knew this was taking forever! Prove them wrong, and drag yourself back up and slug away at it a little bit more every day.

It ain't about how hard you hit... it's about how hard you can get hit, how much you can take, and keep moving forward...
    that's how winning is done.

20. Mar 26, 2019 #300

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

[​IMG]

My next door neighbor gave me an automatic 12v van wheelchair lift they don't want any more, that weighs like 400lbs.

So in order to bring it home from across the street, I made another lift, a 3 point hitch tractor lift. Kind of ironic: make a lift to get a lift. Not heavy duty, but lets see if it does the job. Some of the weight will be leaning backwards anyway against the tubes.

Obviously, it is made from an old hand truck that had no wheels that was snarfed as junk. Cotter pin or lynch pin ready.

Strap enough ratchet straps around that new refrigerator, and let me just back this puppy into your kitchen for you... :)

I figure if I sell the wheelchair lift, that ought to cover all the gas money to pick up the Poorgirl... and then some... thus keeping my investment in it at zero and... still free.

If nobody buys it, modify it as a motorcycle lift maybe, or give it to someone who needs it but can't afford it.

~

Garage Door Opener

I'm getting tired of hand cranking my shop garage door up and down all the time... it's pretty heavy... and that's an understatement. I have to use construction gloves and both hands and put all my weight into it at least until I get the door rolled up close to the top.

I have this 1500lbs HF winch with a broken and missing wire... I'm thinking... if I could engineer it into my hanger door raising and lowering axle, I could go up and down to button presses.

It has a sticker on it that says "not for lifting things or aircraft use". We'll just peel that off...

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019