Brutality Today

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by choppergirl, Aug 4, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Mar 26, 2019 #301

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Be careful about acquiring and hoarding other people's junk. It's a greasy slope covered in rusty spikes!

BJC likes this.
  2. Mar 26, 2019 #302

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

To late she has the bug.

3. Mar 26, 2019 #303

don january

don january

don january

CG. Any good Dumpster diving this weekend ??:D

4. Mar 28, 2019 #304

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

My dad put out an ad for a Honda SuperCub for us to fix up and restore. Some nice guy who use to work at a Honda dealership, replied with a faded red C70 fixer upper in need of rescue, buried behind a lot of junk in a barn for free, but dad hasn't gone to go pick it up yet. Think I posted about wanting one of these mopeds before. They are incredibly hard to find in the Southern US.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  5. Mar 28, 2019 #305

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

I have 4 of those and 2 trail 90's. They are all over up here in Wisconsin. Pretty cheap too.

6. Mar 28, 2019 #306

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Those Honda Cubs are the most produced "motorcycle' in the world. They are easy to find, not so easy to find for free. I'm going to pick one up as soon as I get motivated, I told the guy I'd give him $100 for it.

Little Scrapper likes this.
  7. Mar 29, 2019 #307

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Little Scrapper

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Those things are laying next to sheds all over the place in Wisconsin.

8. Mar 30, 2019 #308

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

Lot of Germans in Wisconsin. Germans / Italians / French love mopeds. I wouldn't doubt there's an old moped in a garage somewhere in almost every neighborhood.

Mopeds are treated just like motorcycles with the same tag, insurance, registration requirements, which made them still born on arrival. You may as well get a motorcycle so you can go places. South Carolina I believe has some relaxed regulations.

The stradle type moped ratio in Georgia back yards is pretty close to the snowmobile ratio here... next to zero. You won't be finding any mopeds behind sheds or snowmobile graveyards here.

Not a single snowmobile in the entire state (worse, entire SouthEast) makes it a challenge for me to score ultralight aircraft engines on the cheap.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2019
    Little Scrapper likes this.
  9. Apr 7, 2019 #309

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

[​IMG]

Finished a rear tray out of bedframes for the rear 2x4 to sit in... with hinges so the rear tail lights can be unscrewed with one thumbscrew and swing out of the way on hinges....

Have the same kind of tray on the front end made the same way with hard point attachments for a enclosure someday and the front lights.

Lot of frigging welding and drilling and cutting and grinding :-/ Every derelict house on my block is now missing all their bed frames. :) I need 78" L channel, and guess what, the max length of bedframe is 75" or even less... so every single piece I had to weld extensions on both ends (I insist on being symmetrical).

Sparks. Trillions of sparks in my rear view mirror. Lots of holding still warm parts from something you just did to them, while you work on them some more. Brushing on phosphoric acid on hot parts and it bubble and steam off because I can't wait on vinegar. Good times.

I was going at it full tilt today and somewhere along the way while welding, I lost my shorts by climbing out of my hot and sweaty welding coveralls, and was just welding in my t-shirt and my underwear... and I didn't notice it, I just kept right on trucking. Didn't bother to put them back on until I was done. Having your own shop = sweet.

Original Rusty Free Craigslist Trailer Pics

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
  10. Apr 14, 2019 #310

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

11. Apr 16, 2019 #311

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

nice lights

12. Apr 16, 2019 #312

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Careful of arc burn, it can really spoil your week. Meteorites can be a little ouch, too.

13. Apr 16, 2019 #313

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

[​IMG]

Still doin' that Bertha Benz thing, in my witchy black and white stripey socks... my planes aren't going to roll themselves to the airport. One or two days away from putting the plyboard on.

Who doesn't need 10 liters of ligroin?
    I predict someday there will be stores everywhere selling hydrocarbons.

ἔρις

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  14. Apr 17, 2019 #314

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Bertha Benz? You're loaded?
    I have this fantastic vehicle idea that needs financing...

15. Apr 18, 2019 #315

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

[​IMG]

Whipping up both fenders today out of some flashing

[​IMG]

Tell whoever who it was that told me to "Do a little every day, and soon you'll have nothing left to do but fly it"...

...that I'm about to run out of stuff to do & I'm about to fly this puppy down the road... to go rescue Poorgirl.

I don't care if you hate me, I'm about to reach some milestone few guys make it to....

...actually finishing an airplane project. I don't build parts; I build finished products.

ρις

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  16. Apr 18, 2019 #316

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

Is that "poorgirl" aircraft rigged properly?! How could he go 500 feet along a runway and not lift off?

17. Apr 18, 2019 #317

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

After flipping the plane why trying to take off in some soft plowed field, he switched up the landing gear from tail dragger to tricycle, and having the rear wheels that much further back make it impossible for him to take off from his backyard 500ft grass strip.

So he built a Weedhopper instead and gave the Poorboy to me because it's taking up space in one of his storage units which he can rent out for $90/mo.

I'm going to switch it back to taildragger and trailer it to my local airport which has 3000ft paved and grass strip. He only wants to fly out of his backyard and has no interest trailering any airplane to any airport. Since I have no room for a backyard airstrip (too many trees we love and don't want to cut down) , the trailer build is my way of giving hanger fees the middle finger. Just two months of hanger fees would bankrupt me. Going to be a pain taking off and putting on \wings, but whatcha gonna do. The Poorgirl build has pictures of a folding wing mechanism he made for it; I don't know offhand if he got around to implementing and installing it or not.

[​IMG]

My trailer top paint scheme, I want it visible from the air, 2ft bars should be a snap to paint, going to be a challenge painting those wings, may just do without. I'm thinking lay out a 10 pixels/inch grid pattern over the graphic, than take key points and plot on the same scaled up inch grid mapped out on trailer.

This pattern puts my seams right down the middle, and between the grey and white border on both sides of the horse. The center ply board is slightly thicker, so in this way maybe it's a bit more semetrical and adds a little center raised bass relief. Not that I want it, but use what I got, save me from buying more plyboard. I'm thinking I run some aluminum flashing underneath down the center seam, don't know if that will help the seams from flexing apart when you got one foot on one and not the other. We'll see how those suggested H roofing thingees work out.

18. Apr 18, 2019 #318

narfi

narfi

narfi

That is cool, I had somehow missed that you had a new plane project in the works.

Just trying to understand all that is going on here....
    The builder has built and flown other ultralights, but this one couldn't handle his rough plowed field and needs pavement or at least a firmer surface for basing out of.
    It is damaged from his taxing misshaps but gave it to you to rebuild and have if you hauled it away.
    You need to repair the damage and reconvert it to tailwheel.
    He has the plans he built it from that you can use for your own inspections and repair to verify everything is rigged properly and safe.
    It sounds like you will be using your own engine? assuming he kept the engine for his next/other project?

Your trailer is nearly done, mostly just needing paint, then a month or two repairs on the new plane and you will be ready for test flights with a knowledgeable new(old?) friend for supervision and advice?

Dorothy gets put on the back burner as a project to work on while you have a flying craft?

19. Apr 19, 2019 #319

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

Yeah, David has the licensed plans, Poorboy #227.

I put all my planes on the back burner because I thought having a shop to work in out of the weather was top priority... if I was ever going to catch up with Little Scrapper... so I had to back pedal there... got an abandoned woodworking shop all cleaned up... over the winter, after I restored the woodstove inside with a lot of practice welding.

Trailer was next highest priority, and more important than all planes, as it could go fetch any new deals, and I'd need it anyway to move planes around, so I've been working on it for the past 3 months almost non-stop.

That chess piece black knight on my tail feathers represents my tactical battle computer brain, and I've been using it a lot all along the way to bootstrap up all the way up the ladder to me flying my own planes.

Once trailer is done in a week or two, then I'll go pick up the Poorgirl and eventually start working on the planes. I laid out the lines and marks for the corners of the plyboard today and put a few more coats of paint on them. I'll repaint over the grey top with my final color scheme with gloss enamel black and white paint.

Davids's giving me a beat up 503 that has seen better days, with the plane, and a prop that don't match, and I also have a ULII-02 I need rebuilding that could go on it. The ULII-02 is the right size for it; the 503 will work too and might be a enough power to almost tow a glider? Dunno. I'll deal with the engine choices when I get to that point.

[​IMG]

I'm thinking if I can come up with a way to tilt my trailer either on it's end, or on one side (if I turn the horse 90 degrees), it can serve as a huge billboard in front of the airport entrance to advertise my free airshow. Have a little jack or wench lift system with stand to put behind it and sandbags to hold it down, to just tilt the whole thing up on an edge. Obviously, long edge towards ground would be safer and more stable, but small back end edge towards ground, it would be a towering monolith like that thing out of 2001:Spacy Odyssey. Maybe at a safe and stable 45 degree angle with lift mechanism behind it and wide base bar attached to bottom edge.

Maybe just put the whole floor on a hinge, and have hydraulics on the trailer tilt it to the side or up 90 degrees. That would be cool.

It's the biggest thing I've ever built. For Pooboy flying videos, search ZK-BEE. I would prefer to learn to fly in the glacially slow Volmer. The final goal being, one slow motorglider for having fun in, flying slow and low over farmer's fields, and gliding around, and one fast ultralight (maybe with enclosed-ish cockpit) for going places. All on the super dirt cheap. I scavenge, scrounge, and recycle everything.

So like if you have no money and want to fly, my thread is *the* thread to watch. I don't live in the magic fairy land these other guys do where money supposedly grows on trees. I don't know where it is they live, but I wish they'd dig up some of those magic trees and send them to me that buys them $80 control cables ; - )

Fudge that, why spend $80 on a control cable when there's barb wire everywhere for the taking around here on a good moonlit night... liberate a few cows freedom in the process.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
  20. Apr 19, 2019 #320

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

Did you hear the one about the couple on their way to a costume party dressed as a cow, they decided to take a short cut through a farmers field.
    A Bull started chasing them so the guy bends over and starts chewing on some grass and his wife asks him "honey, honey what are you doing"? and he replies …...

Turd Ferguson likes this.