• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Beginner builder repairing a damaged aiircraft

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

E28POWERM20

I recently acquired a Zenith 601HD, that was flying since 2004. Last year, the builder had an engine failure(suspect bad carb) under 100ft off the deck. It went down in a field, damaged both main landing gear, the firewall, the left wing, twisted the back of the tail, and tweaked the center spar:depressed.

I got the whole thing so cheap, that even with all the replacement parts, I will have less than half of the kit cost from Zenith. Plus all the other good parts that it came with(Hooker harnesses, Matco wheels/brakes, instruments, etc.

I am a BMW Master technician, so I know my way around hand/power tools and mechanical things. I'm also involved with my EAA chapter RV-12 build that's starting soon, and have finished all the practice projects.

Normally, when I get a new project, I kinda just dig in, and explore, without much regard for documentation. What I'm looking for, is advice on how I should start, what areas are most important to document, how I should log all the work, and anything I may not be thinking about, since I'm new to this.

I also have all the original plans, manuals, "POH", weight balance, pretty much everything that the previous owner had for the aircraft.

I am rather excited about the project, but I am definitely conscious about doing it right.

Thanks,
Ian

Back