• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Ground testing in the open a full sized airplane instead of wind tunnel testing

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oriol

Hi all,

As many other HBA users I am considering a myriad of possible configurations as interesting options.
The obvious problem, if you choose a non conventional/well proven design, is that albeit the airplane might look cool and solid it might also be dangerous to fly: unexpected flying qualities.
So the question is how would you could accurately predict the flight behaviour of the airplane?

There are some big company, mabe some universities too, that offer their services to conduct tests in their wind tunnels to provide to their clients useful data that allow them to predict if a given design is airworthy or not. I guess that it won´t be cheap or maybe even 100% accurate but it is better than to put your life at risk.

I am sure that most of you know that: "Rutan developed the aerodynamic parameters for the VariViggen using a model rigged atop his station wagon, and measuring the forces while driving on empty roads.", Wiki quote

Do you know of any similar method, at reach for homebuilders, to perform wind test of full size airplanes?
For example rigging a full size prototype to the ground in areas where there are strong local winds.

I am considering a design similar to the Pou du ciel/flying flea and it is clear that messing with that configuration (or any other) calls for trouble so anything that help to provide useful practical data would be of benefit.
Of course even if a ground test in the open works you still require to perform a practical flight (spins, stalls...) test to ensure the airplane is docile: maybe a radio controlled test.

Here below are two pictures of airplanes tested in the open, though the SR 71 seems to be doing a radar range test.

Oriol

qsramodel.jpgsr-71_radar_range_test.jpg

Back