Your thoughts on using a hammer and modified bolt to set solid rivets?

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Nickathome, Jan 18, 2015.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Jan 19, 2015 #21

dcstrng

dcstrng

dcstrng

The Monnett birds have been built that way for decades -- not, sure but I think the Sonex still describes the "bolt" method for scratch builders (would have to dig out my plans -- stored, decided to built an "alternative..."), in any case certainly for the Sonerai... it works, but I'm using the Avery C-Frame...

2. Jan 19, 2015 #22

Nickathome

Nickathome

Nickathome

I used the bolt method when I was at the Sonex plant and took their weekend course. I have the project I made there as proof the bolt method works, and take no time to learn. The punch is just a big bolt with a concave head ground into it an polished to match the rivet head. You set the project onto a piece of heavy flat steel or a bucking bar and a few wraps with the hammer sets the rivet and it does a nice job.

I do like the C-frame tool, but for what one costs, I may as well just buy the rivet gun set.

Looking at the plans again last night, I underestimated the amount of rivets I will need to buck. Looks to be more like 400, so I still may consider a rivet gun..

3. Jan 19, 2015 #23

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

You can always rent a rivet gun

4. Jan 19, 2015 #24

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

So you are hitting the round manufactured head of the rivet.
    I hit the other end, and so can see the rivet form as I hit it.

5. Jan 19, 2015 #25

wally

wally

wally

Did you know that those el-cheapo muffler hammers use the same diameter rivet sets?? You used to buy them for about $10 and get some muffler tools with it.

And they work pretty good on smaller rivets. I even took one of the muffler cutter tools that comes in the kit and made a flat rivet set. I cut the end off and welded a small round piece of steel to it. Then some grinding and a little polishing with wet-or-dry paper, it will do flush (countersunk) rivets too.

dcstrng likes this.
  6. Jan 19, 2015 #26

Pops

Pops

Pops

I have set thousands of 3/32" rivets with a $8 muffler air hammer. I also welded up my own Avery style C frame many years before Avery sold them. Great for dimpling wing skins. My best flutting pliers are a set I made using Vice-grips. With Vice-Grips you can set the depth of the flutes the same if you want.

Dan

7. Jan 19, 2015 #27

Vision_2012

Vision_2012

Vision_2012

SPA also has a nice write up of using a Cleveland DIENQ dimpling tool. Dan Weseman is a well informed and patient instructor. I met Dan at Corvair College 23. I used his fifth bearing toolkit in installing his retrofit 5th bearing in my Corvair engine.