• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

Wooden ribs and composite skin wings

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AeroGal

Hi,

Newbie here! Having read the Rutan "Moldless" method of composite construction some time ago (1980's) and more recently, I have some questions. Sorry if this idea has been beaten to death before but I've read most of the threads and have not seen it.

Could the wings be made as molded skins and bonded to ribs? In particular, wooden ribs. I envision the leading edge being a removable section for "easy" access to wiring and or control rods. I realize this is basically how metal wings are made although they are riveted. :grin:

I'm thinking the upper and lower skins being vacuum bagged in simple female molds made from a suitable smooth panels (like melamine faced Masonite). The panels would held to shape by a simple jig made from shaped 2x wood. What all this rigamarole would do is to enable the skins be very smooth and accurate. The molds need not be "permanent" fixtures in the shop taking up room, etc. :cool:

The wood ribs would be made like for any wood/fabric wings. Only one jig needed for constant section wings or an adjustable jig if the wing is tapered. Or the ribs could simply cut from plywood for the CNC enabled crowd. The ribs would then be bonded to the skins with flox or some other gap filling adhesive.

Alternatively, the ribs could be made from sheet foam and glass/CF.

Is this a crazy idea or has it been done before?

-- Teri

Back