Wing Fold/Hanger Space

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Victor Bravo

I had a Firestar 2, larger and heavier than Dana's Ultrastar.

With the exception of the landing gear, it was about 24 inches wide at the widest point.

Folded, it was 22 feet long.

The landing gear on mine was oversize, probably 4 feet wide max at the tire sidewalls. A standard stock Firestar landing gear was probably 3.5 feet wide.

The Kolb had several design points that I wasn't thrilled with, but the compactness of the folded airplane was truly impressive.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
Presuming that control connection is fully automatic, and that the disconnect is, essentially, a single pin for each wing, what's the feeling about detachable wings versus folding?

Sailplanes almost universally have detachable wings, yet powered aircraft generally go for foldable. The dichotomy is curious.
Sailplane wing would extend beyond the tail if folded Kitfox style requiring a longer trailer. Attached is better if it does not increase the folded footprint.

Pops

Log Member
I like the Fisher Horizon method. In an old issue of Sport Aviation there was an article about the Fisher Horizon and had pictures of the wing folding mechanism.
For the SSSC-2 , it would be easy to copy the wing flap idea. The spring loaded pin for the front wing attach fitting was simple. Just a 90 deg twist and pull if I remember correctly.

saini flyer

I had a Firestar 2, larger and heavier than Dana's Ultrastar.

With the exception of the landing gear, it was about 24 inches wide at the widest point.

Folded, it was 22 feet long.

The landing gear on mine was oversize, probably 4 feet wide max at the tire sidewalls. A standard stock Firestar landing gear was probably 3.5 feet wide.

The Kolb had several design points that I wasn't thrilled with, but the compactness of the folded airplane was truly impressive.
I have seen pictures of a kolb that was folded and stored in a motorhome trailer with all the motorhome amenities intact! The pilot used to take it to Oshkosh, camp in the motorhome after taking the plane out and store it back inside when not on site. I tried searching online but cant find them anymore. Anyone knows the link to the pictures and video?

dino

HBA Supporter
Sherwood Ranger. Quick, easy and fits in a shipping container.

1585509551192.png

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Sherwood Ranger would definitely be on my short list if I was going to build. I'm surprised they're not more popular.

N804RV

HBA Supporter
The Sonerai wings are pinned in the spar "box" with 4 large taper pins, 2 on each forward spar, and 4 smaller taper pins, 2 on each aft spar. The wings fold by pulling the taper pins, pulling the wing clear of the spar box and completly extending the wing fold strut. Making sure the wing fold strut is fully extended, rotate the wing, leading edge down and folding aft to avoid the wheel pants and insuring the main spar end does not contact the fuselage. It can be done single handed, if you take your time. And, with practice, its not too lengthy or complicated.

Here's the Sonerai IIL, wings folded, in the back of a 26' Ryder truck:

Here it is from the front. The ailerons connect via a simple pin and cam arrangement, as the wings are pushed into the spar box:

Last edited: