Wind mills

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Joe Fisher, Oct 27, 2018.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 3, 2018 #201

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Participation in the thread is voluntary. YOU clicked on it because YOU wanted to click on it. ;)

2. Dec 3, 2018 #202

Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

This started because it effects my place to fly and to build airplanes. I am just sick. I put this sign up in front of my property.

Attached Files:

Vigilant1, Wayne and mcrae0104 like this.
  3. Dec 3, 2018 #203

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

mcrae0104

Armchair Mafia Conspirator HBA Supporter

Yes, Fritz, I clicked on a thread called Wind mills started by a guy who won't be able to fly his homebuilt airplanes because his property rights are in danger, not because I care to read a rehashed LBJ campaign ad. It would be cool if it came back to Joe's purpose and had less to do with discussions of global warming and/or nuclear holocaust. Maybe that's just me, but I suspect you have a similar perspective. :)

FritzW likes this.
  4. Dec 3, 2018 #204

Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

mcrae0104 likes this.
  5. Dec 3, 2018 #205

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Not just an issue near airports. These windmill farms cover hundreds of miles of airspace.
    When I drive through Minnesota on I -90 it is hours of driving through the windmill farm area. Seems impossible to return to normal small airplane or ultralight operations in average low ceilings or especially at night.

mcrae0104 likes this.
  6. Dec 3, 2018 #206

Aesquire

Aesquire

Aesquire

Guilty as charged. I chose to indulge a fantasy about turning abandoned windmills into action toys, instead of addressing the political, religious, and mythological underpinnings of the problem.

And, since it's against site rules to address the political, religious, and mythological underpinnings of the problem, I'll keep my peace and not annoy a bunch of folk here for doing that. :)

lr27 I see you go for the Damnation Alley version of a post apocalyptic world. ;)

7. Dec 3, 2018 #207

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

8. Jan 14, 2019 #208

Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

Up date
    https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewe...nCkzCJRbD8b9xSJgkKij2IpAsvStXUCaK6db_XJuNjAq8

You can expand this map. My place is in the middle of the map on the south side of highway 47 1/4 mile east of the old track. You can see my house and hanger with the Colt parked out side the hanger. If you expand out you can see the turbines. There is one 1/2 mile north west one 1/2 mile north east one 1/2 mile south east and one just a little over a 1/2 mile south west there are 2 more about 1 mile. With the noise and vibration our home will be uninhabitable.
    There was a county commission meeting. There were just about 500 citizens opposed to the project but the commission voted down a 6 month moritorem . Feb 4 APEX is free to start construction. In the Friday paper the commission would no longer allow the public to attend there meetings. The members of the commission can pick and choose who they will allow on the agenda. APEX has until 2020 to complete the project to get the tax exemptions and susititys.

9. Jan 14, 2019 #209

Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

10. Jan 14, 2019 #210

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Noise and vibration is fake news. But you do have a very valid grievance against them. Stick to that if you want officials to take you seriously.

11. Jan 14, 2019 #211

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Joe,
    I'm sorry to hear about this setback.

Like most states, Kansas has "sunshine laws" designed to let the public see their government in action, and to gain access to public records. The applicable law that applies in this case appears to be the Kansas Open Meetings Act. Kansas does permit closed meetings, but the commission in this case has to at least say what they are going to talk about and why it is a closed meeting. I get the impression, though, that this law doesn't get enforced much in Kansas. There's an organization in Kansas (who knows--it might be just one person!) that highlights issues related to the Open Meetings act. Link: http://kansasopenmeetings.org Maybe they would be interested in what is going on with your county commissioners. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound very unusual.

Is there no grounds for a civil suit on your part for damages due to the loss of the use of your property? While I don't agree that the noise, vibration, and visual desecration of the prairie are non-issues, I do think you airstrip is your best angle here. The wind turbines are coming, the visual blight is apparently not sufficient reason to stop them, but you are losing use of your property, and it's not a theoretical issue.

Again, best of luck. This is sad.

mcrae0104 likes this.