Wind mills

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Participation in the thread is voluntary. YOU clicked on it because YOU wanted to click on it. ;)
Yes, Fritz, I clicked on a thread called Wind mills started by a guy who won't be able to fly his homebuilt airplanes because his property rights are in danger, not because I care to read a rehashed LBJ campaign ad. It would be cool if it came back to Joe's purpose and had less to do with discussions of global warming and/or nuclear holocaust. Maybe that's just me, but I suspect you have a similar perspective. :)

BBerson

Light Plane Philosopher
HBA Supporter
Not just an issue near airports. These windmill farms cover hundreds of miles of airspace.
When I drive through Minnesota on I -90 it is hours of driving through the windmill farm area. Seems impossible to return to normal small airplane or ultralight operations in average low ceilings or especially at night.

Aesquire

Guilty as charged. I chose to indulge a fantasy about turning abandoned windmills into action toys, instead of addressing the political, religious, and mythological underpinnings of the problem.

And, since it's against site rules to address the political, religious, and mythological underpinnings of the problem, I'll keep my peace and not annoy a bunch of folk here for doing that. :)

lr27 I see you go for the Damnation Alley version of a post apocalyptic world. ;)

Joe Fisher

Up date
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1Bm0CPSofocGBN8HQ6LMvGnjZcKweyDm6&hl=en_US&ll=37.52660953561992,-95.37651560981982&z=15&fbclid=IwAR0bFAp0ve8fpFnCkzCJRbD8b9xSJgkKij2IpAsvStXUCaK6db_XJuNjAq8

You can expand this map. My place is in the middle of the map on the south side of highway 47 1/4 mile east of the old track. You can see my house and hanger with the Colt parked out side the hanger. If you expand out you can see the turbines. There is one 1/2 mile north west one 1/2 mile north east one 1/2 mile south east and one just a little over a 1/2 mile south west there are 2 more about 1 mile. With the noise and vibration our home will be uninhabitable.
There was a county commission meeting. There were just about 500 citizens opposed to the project but the commission voted down a 6 month moritorem . Feb 4 APEX is free to start construction. In the Friday paper the commission would no longer allow the public to attend there meetings. The members of the commission can pick and choose who they will allow on the agenda. APEX has until 2020 to complete the project to get the tax exemptions and susititys.

pictsidhe

Noise and vibration is fake news. But you do have a very valid grievance against them. Stick to that if you want officials to take you seriously.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
Joe,
I'm sorry to hear about this setback.

In the Friday paper the commission would no longer allow the public to attend there meetings.
Like most states, Kansas has "sunshine laws" designed to let the public see their government in action, and to gain access to public records. The applicable law that applies in this case appears to be the Kansas Open Meetings Act. Kansas does permit closed meetings, but the commission in this case has to at least say what they are going to talk about and why it is a closed meeting. I get the impression, though, that this law doesn't get enforced much in Kansas. There's an organization in Kansas (who knows--it might be just one person!) that highlights issues related to the Open Meetings act. Link: http://kansasopenmeetings.org Maybe they would be interested in what is going on with your county commissioners. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound very unusual.

Is there no grounds for a civil suit on your part for damages due to the loss of the use of your property? While I don't agree that the noise, vibration, and visual desecration of the prairie are non-issues, I do think you airstrip is your best angle here. The wind turbines are coming, the visual blight is apparently not sufficient reason to stop them, but you are losing use of your property, and it's not a theoretical issue.

Again, best of luck. This is sad.