Wind mills

Discussion in 'Hangar Flying' started by Joe Fisher, Oct 27, 2018.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 27, 2018 #1

Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

2. Oct 27, 2018 #2

BJC

BJC

BJC

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

That, plus once the wind turbine-generators are in service, you cost of electricity will increase.

Back in the 1970, a privately owned, public use, airport was built in Florida. The rancher / neighbor to the north promptly installed a 300 foot tall guyed tower about 100 yards off the end of the rynway. Nothing on the tower, not even lights. Flying there was interesting.

It took some time, but the FAA eventually got the tower removed.

BJC

Joe Fisher likes this.
  3. Oct 27, 2018 #3

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Joe, I'm sorry to see that you are going through this. That newspaper story is very well written, lots more info than we typically see in even a big wire service piece.
    It sounds like registering your airport might be the best course of action. It would not only preserve your hobby, but would help maintain the value of your property. Somebody could well want a nice house with a useable airstrip after they get done sprinkling those abominable wind turbines all over the landscape.

Joe Fisher likes this.
  4. Oct 27, 2018 #4

Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

Joe Fisher

This whole thing is so stupid. 3/4 th of Kansas is farm land, The farmers don't count acres they count square miles. Where we live it is rare to find farmers with more than 160 acres or 1/4 mile. lots of people like me with 40 acres or less. The Apex co that is trying to invade us say they want to use our infrastructure,roads and power lines. We bought and pay for those now they are going to just waltz in and take over. They want to put up 600' towers with 200' blades according to the map I will be surrounded with 5 to 7 of these things 1400 feet from my house + the height of the tower + 10% from the property line. It will be like living in a cheep hotel over a bar with neon lights flashing all night.

5. Oct 28, 2018 #5

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Agree. Sorry to hear that Joe. Windmills are the biggest embarrassment to hit america since the talk show "The View."
    Windmills can't work without subsidies so of course they want to mooch off the infrastructure that is already in place.

ToddK, FritzW and Joe Fisher like this.
  6. Oct 28, 2018 #6

BBerson

BBerson

BBerson

That's a bad deal. The only thing I can think is maybe they could provide a private access road to taxi to another runway on the other side.

Joe Fisher likes this.
  7. Oct 28, 2018 #7

lr27

lr27

lr27

Come on guys. It's one thing to complain about inappropriate siting for wind turbines. However, it's an entirely other thing to condemn them all. That's very political. The moderator is welcome to delete it, but I would go so far as to say that I'd be ok if they removed wind power subsidies if they also removed the subsidies on fossil fuels.

I tend to to agree with Joe Fisher than the Apex company probably ought to be putting their wind turbines out on those huge farms. Personally, I wouldn't mind a wind turbine 1,400 feet away, but I would if I had a runway. I used to live in a neighborhood where someone had built their house at the end of a private airstrip without checking if it was still in operation. It was, but only very rarely and not in the winter. Sigh. That strip is now closed, though it didn't happen right away. The airstrip was real enough that it had an FAA designation.

The wind turbines I've seen can't be heard all that far away. Not very noticeable at a distance of several times their height. But I wouldn't want to fly through one!

pictsidhe and Joe Fisher like this.
  8. Oct 28, 2018 #8

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Yes, c'mon. The reason windmills are out in the country is because of all the NIMBY opposition when they propose a wind farm in line of sight to a populated area. So yeah, Joe has to fight with a voice of 1 instead of 1000's and a voice of 1 is easily drowned out.

Joe Fisher likes this.
  9. Oct 28, 2018 #9

Riggerrob

Riggerrob

Riggerrob

Turd Ferguson,
    Anti wind turbine lobbies are huge!
    They are full of NIMBY propaganda and video of the only wind turbine that ever caught fire!

Joe Fisher likes this.
  10. Oct 28, 2018 #10

KAF

KAF

KAF

11. Oct 28, 2018 #11

bmcj

bmcj

bmcj

I have to wonder what other effects wind farms would have. When the turbines generate power, they are extracting that power from the wind, effectively slowing or reducing the total wind. What effect does that have on the region’s climate?

Joe Fisher likes this.
  12. Oct 28, 2018 #12

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Yes they are and it doesn't matter if they have a valid argument or not, they are voters

Joe is an Army of 1. Maybe 1.5 if he gets his neighbors on board. Pretty easy to steamroll your agenda in where there is no opposition and in fact, a farmer with a lot of acreage can make a tidy profit with windmill leases, no doubt as much as they can make by farming.

Joe Fisher likes this.
  13. Oct 28, 2018 #13

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

I recall reading about this kind of forced takeover of resources by a private company a few months back. There was some ruling that because the supply of electricity is a strategic need, that companies could walk onto your acreage and force you to give up access rights and so on and pay you as little as they could get away with. I understand that this ruling has been defeated at State and Federal level. I think you'll have to start doing some detailed research at the County seat and see what has been filed by this company. It could be that this company is chancing it's arm, taking on smallholders that they consider easy to defeat. Apart from all the visual effects, the noise of the blades will drive you to distraction.

Joe Fisher likes this.
  14. Oct 28, 2018 #14

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson

"Condemnation is the process of taking private property under the power of Eminent Domain. It is the right of government or assignors (utility companies) to take private property or have an easement on private property for the greater good of the public."

The problem with a windmill is it can encroach on airfield operations while still being > a mile away.

You'd have to make an argument based on 49 U.S. Code § 40103 - Sovereignty and use of airspace.

Twodeaddogs and Joe Fisher like this.
  15. Oct 28, 2018 #15

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Vigilant1

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Joe has the right to use of his property, and these windmills interfere with that right. The FAA can help, it is unfortunate that he has to register this little strip with them to get that limited relief.
    These wind turbines are strewn all over the praries. Each one has a > tremendous< concrete base underground, hundreds of tons of concrete. I wonder who is going to remediate these sites once the love of these windmills (and the subsidies for them) ends. They will be pockmarks on the landscape forever. People who fret about the (fairly simple and limited) problem of storing high level nuclear waste seem untroubled by the wind power end game. I guess they figure it is the permanent answer.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
  16. Oct 28, 2018 #16

Derswede

Derswede

Derswede

Hmmm...a bunch of birds laden with tiny impact bombs flying thru the blades of the windmill. Would not last long. Anyone know what the airspeed and weight capacity of an unladen swallow is? (-: European or African....

Or get a guy with a trebuchet. "Honest officer, this great big rock just flew into the blades.... I could have been killed!" Is it a meteorite? (Not one made by Gloster, of course)

Derswede

Joe Fisher likes this.
  17. Oct 28, 2018 #17

BJC

BJC

BJC

Joe Fisher likes this.
  18. Oct 28, 2018 #18

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Joe, you need to register your strip.
    Big companies with the resources to build wind farms aren't nice, considerate or even reasonable. That isn't profitable.
    I am usually a wind generator fan and prefer them to fossil fuel power stations. I say that as someone who has lived in view of them. Wales has a lot. One county, devoid of any fossil fuel power, is a net exporter of electricity... Fossil fuels are finite, wind is not.
    The noise argument is pure bunk. You can't hear them off the site. Hearing is believing.

Joe Fisher likes this.
  19. Oct 28, 2018 #19

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Aerowerx

Back in the 1990s I worked for a major cell phone company (now part of Verizon).

They had one person whose job, among other things, was to check for any airports in the area of a proposed new tower site. The towers had to meet the FAA regulations for obstructions to aerial navigation. Of course she used the FAA database, so it would pay to have your field registered with the FAA.

I would think that the same rules would apply to wind power companies.

Joe Fisher likes this.
  20. Oct 28, 2018 #20

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

Twodeaddogs

I'm not even from America and I know that the condemnation thing has already been challenged. I wouldn't know how to look it up in court rulings but it has been done, especially the bit where they force you to hand over road access and even the right to install power lines. It wouldn't surprise me if it differed from State to State, though. The company has to show that there is absolutely no alternative to forcing you to give access, ie, no other possibility of gaining road access except via your land................this kind of crap really grinds my gears, as its usually nothing but profiteering.

Joe Fisher likes this.