Which Flare Tool?

Discussion in 'Firewall Forward / Props / Fuel system' started by wsimpso1, Dec 21, 2018.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Dec 21, 2018 #1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

OK, building my fuel system, using 3/8" aluminum tubing with AN6 nuts, sleeves, and fittings. Which of several flare tools should I own? There are quite a few out there.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/flaringtools2.php

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/flaringtools2.php

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/topages/flaringtools3.php?clickkey=4577

https://www.aircraft-tool.com/shop/detail.aspx?id=212FB

Any preferences and why would you spend your money on one rather than another?

Billski

2. Dec 21, 2018 #2

gtae07

gtae07

gtae07

I only have experience using one like your third item. Its downside is the space required between a bend and the flare, due to the thickness of the tool and the length of the ferrule. However I think that's going to be an issue with any flaring tool.

3. Dec 22, 2018 #3

Marc Zeitlin

Marc Zeitlin

Marc Zeitlin

1, 2 and 4 are identical. That’s the one I use and it works well. The third can work fine too, but it’s not quite as nice.

4. Dec 22, 2018 #4

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

Rockiedog2

5. Dec 22, 2018 #5

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

I've used a cheapo 3rd type for brake lines. Three different ones. The first left few marks, the 2nd bit in somewhat, 3rd was ok again. I did once make a flaring tool when I needed to redo some 60 year old 1/2" domestic plumbing that had been done with flares. I lathed a simple tool that was a close fit to the ID of modern 15mm Brit plumbing pipe for a few inches, then had the correct flare angle and simply hammered it in. Worked a treat, but I'm not sure I'd do fuel lines like that, though...

6. Dec 23, 2018 #6

blane.c

blane.c

blane.c

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

The el-cheapo one's I have for around the house are similar to #3, they leave marks in the tubing were they grip it. If I recall correctly the better flaring tools are capable of doing double flares.

7. Dec 23, 2018 #7

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

I broke down and bought the Mastercool 72475 in light of the quantity and quality of the flares needed on my Rocket's EFI upgrade.

https://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.c...-aTYMgr7AyAMRFUS-fmTEl4EKv_02sFoaAsCmEALw_wcB

I do a bunch of flaring on stainless hard line and this hydraulic unit doesnt even break a sweat. The 37 degree flares are one thing, but the complex bubble flare used on the GM fuel system (I used a GM fuel filter) is a royal pain. This tool cranked out a production quality part first time.

I also do a bunch of automotive work so I could justify the expense somewhat (and it was a tax writeoff).

the Roloflare units you listed in the OP seem to be the tool of choice among the VAF horde and there are some that come up for sale in their classified. While I dont understand the concept of "selling" tools (after all, the person with the most tools wins), they are often a good price on VAF and only last a short time before a new builder snags it.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    wsimpso1 likes this.
  8. Dec 23, 2018 #8

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

Thanks guys, I ordered a RoloFlair. Time to start fabricating...

9. Dec 23, 2018 #9

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Just be prepared to do some cleanup of the tube adjacent to the flare... These tools all leave some serrations that will act as stress risers. This is most prevelent with the softer the material - 3003 really gets marked up, 5052 isn't bad, SS usually doesnt even leave a scratch.

10. Dec 24, 2018 #10

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

last flare I did I set it up to have excess material, and then filed it flat against the tool face,,,,,did not end up thin and subject to cracking.,I think it took 3 tries to figure that out.

11. Dec 24, 2018 #11

Pops

Pops

Pops

A little wheel bearing grease put on with a Q-tip helps.

proppastie likes this.