Quantcast

Where building time comes from

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I made a video update for my Baby Ace subscribers and thought I’d start a thread.

There’s a million videos or threads showing the process but nothing about how to find time to build. I struggle with this. So I made a video.

Figured this might also make for a fun thread.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
It’s a real struggle for me to not just find time but to do it consistently. Like I say in the video, something needs to be sacrificed in order to find the time.

Everyone is unique in personality, age, experience, station in life, family size etc.

I’m gonna update this thread for the next 5 months explaining where I’m finding time or not finding time. I could be wrong but I think people struggle with time and finding a way to consistently make this happen.

VP1

Todd C.
HBA Supporter
Dang man. I'm impressed by the thought you've put in to this. I struggle with motivation- whole nother endeavor

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Dang man. I'm impressed by the thought you've put in to this. I struggle with motivation- whole nother endeavor
Motivation is largely a myth, I personally don’t believe in it or rely on motivation because motivation is a emotion and feeling which means it comes and goes like the wind. Waiting for motivation never really works. Creating motivation is possible but very challenging.

Instead it’s best to focus on routine. Most people run a program. 80% of your daily activities are nothing but a program you built for yourself over the course of decades. This is why habits are difficult to break and difficult to change or add.

Lot’s of data on this but I can give you a example.

Action actually comes first before motivation. Once you start something motivation then starts to build. Everyone has a ton of motivation unless you’re clinically depressed. If you look at your day there’s probably a ton of things you do (program) and you complete those things (motivation) once you start. When you eat breakfast as a example that’s a program you run every day and that program took years to build. You don’t stop eating half way through and start playing basketball during breakfast right? Right! Your motivated to finish the breakfast. Action (routine) spikes motivation temporarily to get that task done and then what follows next is you guessed it.....another programmed routine. Brushing teeth perhaps.......which was triggered by eating. When you start brushing (action) that action triggers motivation but just enough motivation to run that routine. That is your life. You have tons of drive and motivation but only for your routine or program.

When I started in March everything went together like clockwork for a couple months because I had a routine down. Habit. When I broke my routine what happened? I went back to the old Mike routine of February or a January. And what was I doing in January? Not building haha. Routines and habits are what life is.

Last edited:

TFF

One thing I learned about doctors, they had to learn how to schedule their time in school to stay sane. Friends from grade school who became doctors to ones I became friends with well after all know how to spend time wisely.

I miss a homebuilt buddy who just retired and moved away. His time was budgeted. Building time, goof off time, other hobby time had an allotment. That was his personal time. He may want you to join, you might be tolerated, and you might be in the way. You could tell when you walked in the hangar. When his time was up, he turned the light off and did whatever else was scheduled in life. No remorse that he could not spend 10 more minutes. He could loose momentum on a project, but it was more like a rest. He had other hobbies that would run when he needed a break.

His other advantage was he never spread himself thin. He wasn’t going to marginalize anything if it was in his control. Never bought more than he needed but he also bought what he did need. No hem-haw. He knew results were going to cost a planed amount.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
One thing I learned about doctors, they had to learn how to schedule their time in school to stay sane. Friends from grade school who became doctors to ones I became friends with well after all know how to spend time wisely.

I miss a homebuilt buddy who just retired and moved away. His time was budgeted. Building time, goof off time, other hobby time had an allotment. That was his personal time. He may want you to join, you might be tolerated, and you might be in the way. You could tell when you walked in the hangar. When his time was up, he turned the light off and did whatever else was scheduled in life. No remorse that he could not spend 10 more minutes. He could loose momentum on a project, but it was more like a rest. He had other hobbies that would run when he needed a break.

His other advantage was he never spread himself thin. He wasn’t going to marginalize anything if it was in his control. Never bought more than he needed but he also bought what he did need. No hem-haw. He knew results were going to cost a planed amount.
Yup! 100% agree. I’m currently sitting in my truck waiting for my son to finish his hunter’s safety class. This book is my life. My entire day is scheduled (mostly plumbing jobs and responsibilities. I have volumes of these books on my shelf going back for years. This is how I eliminate virtually all stress in my life. This is why I have a thriving business, a solid marriage and a solid relationship with my kids.

This is also why my airplane is sitting idle, it’s not in my book.

What many people fail to realize is you can mostly have the life you want but you need to ask for it and plan for it. I’m not talking about a average life of existence I’m talking about pushing the boundaries of life and really building a strong life.
692334DD-C3CC-420F-8145-6486A1B142E4.jpeg

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
We are completely different. I HATE structure. Most of my life I have worked on call. Phone call, some electric power plant, Chemical plant, paper mill, etc, etc, is down and can you come now. It may be in some other state hundreds of miles away. The job may be from one day, one week, 10 weeks, 6 months, etc. I have lived most of my life with a suitcase ready to go. I have never been on a job that finished that I wasn't ready for the next one. Sometimes I would get home and walk in the door and the phone starts ringing for another break down in some other state. Then sometimes there could be 2 or 3 weeks before the phone call.
Paid very good. Most people like me had a side business or job that when the phone rings, they can walk away from. I had a side business of selling VW's only cars and that grew into rebuilding VW only engines. The engine side of the business got so busy I had to stop to get more than 5 hrs of sleep.
Also building a house when at home works out great. Buy a lot , hire the foundation done and get it under roof in about 10 days by myself and then finish it between jobs while at home. Since my income varied a lot, we always lived on a budget. In the summer between the call out jobs, we always owned a camper , we would load the camper up and travel around for 2 or 3 weeks ( Always OSH). I have owed an airplane most of the time , when the 3 kids got older the wife and I would do a lot of traveling with the airplane in the summers between call out jobs. I love no structure and take it as it comes. Then at one time when I worked for VW of America, I had to work 12 hrs a day , 7 days a week. I did that for almost 8 years. Paid very good, but I started to quit several times. I liked the job but hated the hours with no time off except for the vacation time. I could always go back to being on call.

Old friend of mine is like you, he needs structure and a schedule. He worked in a plant for 35 years doing the same thing every day, driving the same road to work, parked in the same spot, worked with the same people, etc, etc, etc. That would be like a jail sentence to me. I would go crazy. I hate to even think about it. He loved it.
We all are different.

Also my wife and I home schooled the 3 children more than the public school. They were always a couple years ahead of the school classes. Youngest son was doing 12 grade classes at home at 12 years old. Older 2 about 2 years ahead. That takes up most all of the evenings. Almost no TV. TV broke one time and we never replace it for years. That is a good waste of time.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
We are completely different. I HATE structure. Most of my life I have worked on call. Phone call, some electric power plant, Chemical plant, paper mill, etc, etc, is down and can you come now. It may be in some other state hundreds of miles away. The job may be from one day, one week, 10 weeks, 6 months, etc. I have lived most of my life with a suitcase ready to go. I have never been on a job that finished that I wasn't ready for the next one. Sometimes I would get home and walk in the door and the phone starts ringing for another break down in some other state. Then sometimes there could be 2 or 3 weeks before the phone call.
Paid very good. Most people like me had a side business or job that when the phone rings, they can walk away from. I had a side business of selling VW's only cars and that grew into rebuilding VW only engines. The engine side of the business got so busy I had to stop to get more than 5 hrs of sleep.
Also building a house when at home works out great. Buy a lot , hire the foundation done and get it under roof in about 10 days by myself and then finish it between jobs while at home. Since my income varied a lot, we always lived on a budget. In the summer between the call out jobs, we always owned a camper , we would load the camper up and travel around for 2 or 3 weeks ( Always OSH). I have owed an airplane most of the time , when the 3 kids got older the wife and I would do a lot of traveling in the summers between call out jobs. I love no structure and take it as it comes. Then at one time when I worked for VW of America, I had to work 12 hrs a day , 7 days a week. I did that for almost 8 years. Paid very good, but I started to quit several times. I liked the job but hated the hours with no time off except for the vacation time. I could always go back to being on call.

Old friend of mine is like you, he needs structure and a schedule. He worked in a plant for 35 years doing the same thing every day, driving the same road to work, parked in the same spot, worked with the same people, etc, etc, etc. That would be like a jail sentence to me. I would go crazy. I hate to even think about it. He loved it.
We all are different.

Also my wife and I home schooled the 3 children more than the public school. They were always a couple years ahead of the school classes. Youngest son was doing 12 grade classes at home at 12 years old. Older 2 about 2 years ahead. That takes up most all of the evenings. Almost no TV. TV broke one time and we never replace it for years. That is a good waste of time.
Everyone has a unique path in life. As a business owner there’s no such thing as a side business for me. Either I’m working on my business or I’m not. My days are spent plumbing and my afternoon/evenings are spent with my kids or wife. I just won’t compromise that. Structure and scheduling has probably been the one thing that made my business increase in sales & profitability year over year with absolute precision in consistency. Again, that eliminates stress because I hate stress.

Different strokes for different folks. I believe the odds of success regardless of how you define success are greatly increased by using a strategy and planing and finally executing the strategy. Especially the older I get.

Everyone has a routine whether they write it down or not. Humans are very routine and structurally dependent creatures.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Humans are very routine and structurally dependent creatures.

But some of us are not very dependent on structure as others . I say again, I hate structure and routine. I don't even wear a watch. I have a strong body clock and usually can guess the time within a few minutes and that is more than close enough for me.

A side business is a business that you are doing when you can't work on the #1 business. If I have a week or 2 between jobs, I would go nuts setting around doing nothing.

N804RV

HBA Supporter
I absolutely hate the idea of planning to plan!

Any time I can get away from household chores or family responsibilities, I'm either building, thinking about building, or flying the other plane, period! Like the ad says, "just do it!"

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Humans are very routine and structurally dependent creatures.

But some of us are not very dependent on structure as others . I say again, I hate structure and routine. I don't even wear a watch. I have a strong body clock and usually can guess the time within a few minutes and that is more than close enough for me.

A side business is a business that you are doing when you can't work on the #1 business. If I have a week or 2 between jobs, I would go nuts setting around doing nothing.
Fair enough. I’m always working on my business. That’s why I have no down time, it grew because I always worked on it. It’s efficient.

Back to the greater point of building. There’s a reason why probably close to 80% (guessing) of airplanes never get finished. My experience with life and business has led me to believe that I’m correct about why that is. It has nothing to do with knowledge but rather habits and time. In short.....routine.

Maybe not everyone but I bet 99% of the people. Psychology of this is pretty well documented. I guess that’s my point.

Last edited:

Tiger Tim

People do what they want to do.
I couldn’t agree more, and I had to realize that there are short term wants that can get in the way of the long term wants. I suppose that’s where Scrapper’s planning comes in or just being cognizant of the bigger picture to informally prioritize those wants.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I couldn’t agree more, and I had to realize that there are short term wants that can get in the way of the long term wants. I suppose that’s where Scrapper’s planning comes in or just being cognizant of the bigger picture to informally prioritize those wants.
People over complicate this I think. This video can be distilled down to the fact I’m gonna work in the morning, possibly mid day for a little or late at night before bed. Literally that’s it.

My videos are not meant for everyone. They are meant for the 2%. It’s really quite simple.

don january

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I don';t know Mike. For me building right beside a shitter helps in some ways. I don't know how many nose ribs I sanded sitting there pushing out a loaf. If you have a couple of kids home and that dreaded day job time will be a pinch. Vickie and I are home alone now and I can't believe the time I can go hide in the build. Try and keep motivated regardless of the interruptions you face and just plan ahead.

TFF

I’m more of a Pops do what I want when I want. Work is scheduled because people who pay me want it like that; that’s most people of the world. But to me, everything is a project. At least potentially. Doesn’t matter how new the car or house.

Fine line of finishing projects. It’s a certain goal but it might not be the important goal. That is an individual preference. I disagree your video is only for 2%. Maybe only 2% can follow through but it does give a pathway that some might not know how to execute. Important information.

Your explanation of life is perfect. So much time and it has to be divided. How it’s divided is everything. I don’t have as much a problem stealing some time here or there, I’m lucky it’s not my main issue. Spreading it thin is mine. Too many projects because I like projects. Thin has a lot to do with fund allocation too. My friend built three homebuilt kits and one scratch, Everything excluding the engine and instruments were funded the day he started. He did not buy right away, but the money was in the bank for the right lead time. That is not how most people do things. It is how people finish things by not having a resource loss. Time or money. My fault for the money. If I applied your timeline to money expenditures, that would fix my issues. All the money is spent on one project before moving to the next, would get me farther.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I don';t know Mike. For me building right beside a shitter helps in some ways. I don't know how many nose ribs I sanded sitting there pushing out a loaf. If you have a couple of kids home and that dreaded day job time will be a pinch. Vickie and I are home alone now and I can't believe the time I can go hide in the build. Try and keep motivated regardless of the interruptions you face and just plan ahead.
Like I said in the video and I think I wrote it too, Everyone is unique and everyone is at a different stage in life. I have a wife and multiple kids I love to spend time with. My business is the number #1 company around of its type. So I get between 20-30 calls a day. About a 100 texts a day. I have appointments all day long and none of those people want me to randomly show up based on my internal clock. I’m on time and prompt and that took a lot of time and energy to build a business like that.

So In my video that where I described my sacrifice. Nobody is exempt from this. If you’re building that means you’re not not fishing with your kids or fixing a chain on a bike.

So what I’m sacrificing is my mornings because the other option it to sacrifice my family. Not going to do that.

People have rituals and routines whether they know it or not. They exist whether they are written or not.

Having said that there’s different types of builders too. Some just don’t care to fly it they just love working in the shop from time to time. That person is entirely different than someone who has a goal to finish and fly it in a reasonable time period while simultaneously having a career and a family they respect.

It a 23 year old is a new dad and just starting out in the career world I would advise them not to build a airplane hut rather focus on that family first.A retired person should probably just hang out and do what they want. They earned it.

But for those of us who are in the middle and enjoy building but also want to fly what we build in a reasonable time frame? Absolutely positively lead a life of intention and purpose and pay attention to habits and routines. I saw what that did to my business and my life and there’s no way I’ll think any different. Plan the life you want and there’s a high probability of success in whatever you decide. That is the map for people who reach for difficult endeavors.

My biggest issue is I feel a bit of guilt. When I work on my airplane I sometimes feel like I should be doing something else. Years of conditioning has probably created that mindset.

On January 1st I’m giving up my entire morning routine that created a business and it’s a bit scary. I’m very very conditioned with that routine. But that’s what I want, my wants are changing so my behavior and routines need to change with it.