• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

When is it time?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daleandee

Received a nice email from Homebuilt Airplanes today reminding me it was my birthday. This put me to thinking that since I've now (by the grace of God) reached the number of 60 years old, where do I fit in? Am I considered a geezer, curmudgeon, coot, or codger?

I believe I've arrived at "old manhood" and certain rights are now afforded to me. Some of those are:

1) Driving too slow while not texting
2) Yelling at unrully children in public places
3) Wandering around lost and confused
4) Eating from the fruit display at Walmart
5) Taking the dog out back to do her stuff in my tee shirt & boxers
6) Asking you to repeat yourself ... again
7) Staring
8) Drooling
9) Breaking wind with no apology or forewarning.

I'm sure there are others.

But on a serious note: I know that someday we all have to come to the conclusion that we can't fly any longer. I'm not near there yet and I trust that I have many years left. I have a friend that is 83 and he still flys now and again. When I was an ultralight instructor I once had a 94 year old gentleman come to get a ride. It was a bit tough getting this fragile little man in a Challenger ll but once he was in he could really fly!

Another good friend that trained with me could not be allowed to solo as sometimes his thinking wasn't clear. He could fly well and I used to take him up just to let him fly but there were times when he would become disoriented and not really realize that he was entering a bad situation until it was pointed out to him. For instance, once he pulled the power to idle and set up a glide and approach to land straight ahead until I asked him to look again and he noticed that the runway was not in front of him. He was also wise enough to understand what was happenening to him. It was heartbreaking and yet I was thankful that I could still give him an opportunity to fly now and again.

So how do you know when it's time? I've told my hangar friend that when I can't recall the gate code, the hangar door code, or which airplane is mine ... it is time to take my aircraft keys away.

Your thoughts appreciated ...

Dale Williams
N319WF @ 6J2
Myunn - "daughter of Cleanex"
120 HP - 3.0 Corvair
Tail Wheel - Center Stick
Signature Finish 2200 Paint Job
147.2 hours / Status - Flying

Back