What was the first airplane you flew in and how old ?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

geraldmorrissey

Age 14. DC-3 scheduled flight from Boston to Hyannis MA. Most of the flight was in the clouds but the take off and approach were sublime. Had to wait at Hyannis airport for my famjly to drive down to pick me up. I walked all over that airport and poked my head in everywhere. Almost as much fun as the flight.
Gerry

delta

Folks ran a fishing camp for three summers starting when I was 10. Flew in on skis and out on floats from lak la ronge to sportsmans lodge on macintosh lake in Saskatchewan. It was either a C 180, D beaver, N Norseman , or D otter. Been in all of 'em, can't remember which one was first.

gtae07

First flight was some kind of airliner (likely a DC-9) when I was about 6 weeks old.

First GA flight, I was about 4 or 5. Cessna Cardinal. I fell asleep somewhere over the Chesapeake Bay bridge.

First time I had the controls, I was about 8 in a C-172.

My son's first flight wasn't going to be some danged RJ to Newark, so I took him up in my dad's RV-6 when he was 6 months old.

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
My uncle's C182 (I think). Maybe a 206. I was seven. He was taking our family of four from Mississippi to Little Rock to receive my father's posthumous DFC and Purple Heart after he was killed in Vietnam. I had to pee so they made me use a sandwich bag and drop it out the window. To this day I still wonder sometimes where that bag landed.

Brünner

HBA Supporter
Cessna 172, I was probably 8 years old or so. My Dad took me to the local aeroclub and I sat in the back (sadly). I must admit that at first I wasn't much impressed, and I thought that it was extremely noisy (no headsets). Then I looked out the window, and I still remember seeing the right main wheel in the air and the empty space below it and I thought: HOLY ****! (or something similar).

Wayne

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I joined the RAF Cadet program in High School in England and we got to fly in a Chipmunk! I was allowed to do a loop and since that day, at around 14/15 years of age, you can guess where my head has been. In the clouds.....

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Yes, strikes in childhood. Gave my 2 grandsons their first flight instruction at 10 years old. One flew for the airlines about 3 or 4 years and then got a better job flying corp. The other got a share in a Luscombe 8A project when he was 16 years old and helped the IA restore it.
I flew to Richmond, VA and picked up my daughter when he was pregnant with my grandson and her 3 year old daughter was in the back seat of the Cherokee and flew them back to our place for a couple weeks. So that was the granddaughter and grandson's first airplane ride. Daughter was very airsick for the whole flight. Her was hugging the air vent for the whole flight.

ElectricFlyer

HBA Supporter
1st was CH-47 Chinook Helicopter -- It was when I was in the Reserves - Borden, 1984 if memory serves me.
2nd was also with the reserves -- flew out of Trenton up to Sudbury in a Hercules, I think in 85, all a little blurry now. I do remember it was a bumpy ride and was hard to hold down the stomach - lots of guys were chucking their cookies that day which made it harder to hold down ones own. I was glad they bused us back on the return trip.
Cheers

pylon500

1st was CH-47 Chinook Helicopter -- It was when I was in the Reserves - Borden, 1984 if memory serves me.
2nd was also with the reserves -- flew out of Trenton up to Sudbury in a Hercules, I think in 85, all a little blurry now. I do remember it was a bumpy ride and was hard to hold down the stomach - lots of guys were chucking their cookies that day which made it harder to hold down ones own. I was glad they bused us back on the return trip.
Cheers
Yeah, my early days were plagued with air sickness, more psychological than anything.
Did have one unfortunate trip while in the reserves, a squad of us flying from Canberra to Richmond in a Caribou, and the pilot decided that 100' below cloudbase was a good height to fly 🤢
We were all feeling green, and I figured that once one goes, we were all gonna go, so I grabbed a bag and went first.
However, being the 'aeroplane nut' in our group, and then blowing chunks, the others thought this was hilarious and seemed to cure them, while I dry heaved for the next hour.
To top it off, the bottom of the bag fell out just as I stood up to deplane at Richmond :eek:

Yellowhammer

HBA Supporter
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
A wonderful nostalgic question!

My first airplane ride was in a Cessna 152 in Gadsden, Alabama. It was for my 12th birthday My mother had managed to save up enough money to get me a one hour flight. Which was a big deal as we didnt have very much money when I was coming up. (my Mother raised three sons by herself).

I am 44 years old now so it must have been around 1986 or 1987.

One of the gentleman she worked with was a retired B-52 pilot with the U.S.A.F. and he graciously agreed to take me up. His name was Col. William "Bill" Fraundorf and I will never forget him. He did a great job explaining things to me and showing me how an airplane operated. He even let me take the yoke.

What a day!

It was the difference maker in my life. I was hooked and ruined at the same time.

Sadly, the Colonel died in a tragic accident at the same airport in Gadsden, Alabama about 15 years later. He had a md-air collision with another aircraft.

The airport was a non-towered and I can vividly recall when he took me up as we were coming into the pattern to land and how he did a thorough visual check for traffic.

Thank God for men Like Col. Fraundorf. He did not charge my mother one penny for his services.

-Yellowhammer

Last edited: