What was the first airplane you flew in and how old ?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Yellowhammer

HBA Supporter
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
first ride? B747 sometime as a primary kid.

First Flight? My classmate at Primary (elementary to you 'Merkins) was the son of the guy who designed and built a microlight, and the my classmates mother was my in class Deaf student aide. So I went for a flight and waggled the controls in a Bantam B22 when around 11 or 12. not long before High school.

We use the Primary terminology over here too. In fact, my wife is a teacher at the Franklinton Primary School which K-5th grades.

ddsrph

First flew in 727 Cincinnati to San Antonio via Atlanta in Jan 1967 on way to Airforce Basic Training. About three years later got my private pilot license at Vandenberg AFB flying club in C150. Cost was $7 per hour wet plus $5 per hour for instructor.

djmcfall

April 1972, I was 14 years old and mowed the airport lawn for 1/2 hour lesson in an almost new 1965 Alon A2 aircoupe (N6580Q). Female airport manager was my flight instructor. soloed 2 years later at 16. Bought that plane in 1994 and just sold it a few years back to another one of her high school aged students who learned from her in 1969. What a great way for a young kid to fulfill their dream.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
One time a friend of mine started a local flight school. Ask me and a couple others if we would give free rides for the grand opening for the week end. Flew 8 hours on Saturday and had a great time. Took a 87 year old man for his first airplane ride and always let whoever that was in the right seat of the Cherokee to put their hands on the yoke for a while. Just a short flight in a large pattern. The flight school advertised free airplane rides in the local newspaper and radio station. We were overwhelmed to say the least. After about flying 6 hours on Sunday, I was so tired, I had to quit. Always a line of at least 30+ people . About the time I quit, 6 or 7 of other pilots got their airplane out of the hangers and managed to give everyone a ride before dark. I give 187 different people rides for that weekend.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
My great grandmother was born in Germany in 1873 and emigrated (alone) to the U.S. when she was 12 years old. Throughout her life she refused to fly, saying, "If God had meant me to fly he'd have given me wings."

When she was 97 she wanted to visit my grandparents in Florida. A car ride from NY would have been too much for her so she was finally persuaded to fly. She wasn't walking too good by then, so the Captain personally carried her onto the plane, said she was the oldest passenger he'd ever flown. She loved every minute of it.

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
Before I was born, my father and his partner handled a complex bankruptcy case for a flight school, as payment they both took flight lessons and a Piper Apache (actually a great deal for the flight school, lessons cost them nothing and they were going to lose the plane anyway). My father quit flying and the plane was sold before I have memories, but since I have a huge family, no one would remember a detail like if I ever flew in it. Similarly, I may have been on a commercial flight earlier.

The first flight I remember was age 8 on a charter jet out of Midway in Chicago for my sister's wedding in Massachusetts - we were not private jet rich, it was cheaper than 12+ airline seats for all of us. Taking off, my brother says "Look at that mushroom cloud!" and we all watch what we thought was a building which had just caught on fire in the distance. Upon landing we learned it wasn't a building, it was Flight 191, the DC-10 whose engine fell off on takeoff from O'Hare less than a minute before we took off.

Unlike everyone else who has posted so far, my GA story doesn't really start until age 41, in 2012 when I took a temporary job in NYC while living in Louisville. The company had bought a Cessna 402 and wanted to put some hours on it to work out any bugs, so they were sending it to Louisville to pick me and another guy up every week or two. On the last flight back before the contract ended, I got to fly it enroute for about 2 hours. 99% straight and level flight, a few turns here and there, but hey, I was flying. Also, it was night, that's a bit unusual for a first flight as well, but the really different part is that a half hour in, we went into clouds, and I hand flew in IMC for over an hour. He took over when we were in sight of what is now my home airport, KLOU Bowman Field.

Finances precluded me doing anything about it for 3 years, I started lessons in 2015, Private Pilot certificate in 2016. First plane I took off and landed was a Cessna172N.

Last edited:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Before I was born, my father and his partner handled a complex bankruptcy case for a flight school, as payment they both took flight lessons and a Piper Apache (actually a great deal for the flight school, lessons cost them nothing and they were going to lose the plane anyway). My father quit flying and the plane was sold before I have memories, but since I have a huge family, no one would remember a detail like if I ever flew in it. Similarly, I may have been on a commercial flight earlier.

The first flight I remember was age 8 on a charter jet out of Midway in Chicago for my sister's wedding in Massachusetts - we were not private jet rich, it was cheaper than 12+ airline seats for all of us. Taking off, my brother says "Look at that mushroom cloud!" and we all watch what we thought was a building which had just caught on fire in the distance. Upon landing we learned it wasn't a building, it was Flight 191, the DC-10 whose engine fell off on takeoff from O'Hare less than a minute before we took off.

Unlike everyone else who has posted so far, my GA story doesn't really start until age 41, in 2012 when I took a temporary job in NYC while living in Louisville. The company had bought a Cessna 402 and wanted to put some hours on it to work out any bugs, so they were sending it to Louisville to pick me and another guy up every week or two. On the last flight back before the contract ended, I got to fly it enroute for about 2 hours. 99% straight and level flight, a few turns here and there, but hey, I was flying. Also, it was night, that's a bit unusual for a first flight as well, but the really different part is that a half hour in, we went into clouds, and I hand flew in IMC for over an hour. He took over when we were in sight of what is now my home airport, KLOU Bowman Field.

Finances precluded me doing anything about it for 3 years, I started lessons in 2015, Private Pilot certificate in 2016.
One of my ancestors served under Capt. Bowman that the airport is named for. One of my grandsons is named after him.

Bille Floyd

First time a stick was given to me, 1960, and I was 8 years
old ; it was a Big yellow Piper-cub near Plattsburgh Ny ,
(remember it like it was yesterday) -- i'm 68 now .

From 1980 to 1990, i sold near 3K rides in a HG, over the
cliffs of Torrey Pines Ca ; it did exactly SQUAT, for my work ethic . :(

Bille

Aesquire

Helicopter ride at Niagara Falls, age 12.

Hang glider, home made age 17.

I assume jumping off garages and school buildings with kites don't count, but I did achieve a semblance of a glide, say 1 to 1 with the biggest...

Half flights at age 18. First landings, in a conventional airplane, Cessna 182, age 19. DeHaviland Beaver, 19.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
My great grandmother was born in Germany in 1873 and emigrated (alone) to the U.S. when she was 12 years old. Throughout her life she refused to fly, saying, "If God had meant me to fly he'd have given me wings."

When she was 97 she wanted to visit my grandparents in Florida. A car ride from NY would have been too much for her so she was finally persuaded to fly. She wasn't walking too good by then, so the Captain personally carried her onto the plane, said she was the oldest passenger he'd ever flown. She loved every minute of it.
My grandmother was born 1888 and I remember her saying the same thing. Grandpa confided that if god had meant her to wear clothes she would have been born wearing them.

:popcorn:

Last edited:

reo12

November 1965 we flew from Detroit to Amsterdam. KLM 727. I was age 3 going and age 4 returning 6 weeks later. I may still have the diecast pinned on wings they gave out.

Mark Hanna

HBA Supporter
It was 1959, I was 6 years old, with my two brothers and sister and our Mother. The plane was a Lockheed Constelation. TWA flight from Pittsburg to Los Angeles with a stop in Detroit or Chicago ( don't remember exactly which). We flew first class with club seating. What an adventure! The vibrations, watching the prop spinners collecting ice, getting Pilot wings and Colorforms to keep us busy. Took us up to look at the flight deck. Never forget that day. Later as a 13 or 14 year old I was a Navy League Cadet and a bunch of us Cadets took a ride in a DC-4 out of Los Alamitos NAS down to San Diego and back. That was my second ride. First GA ride was in a twin Comanche about 1987. Started my flight training not long after that ride. Got the ticket in 1988.

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
My grandmother was born 1888 and I remember her saying the same thing. Grandpa confided that if god had meant her to wear clothes she would have been born wearing them.

:popcorn:
My mother, born in 1910 used to say the same thing. Her father bought a new 1917 Model T ford and most of the 17 children learned to drive in it.
Grandfather on my fathers side never drove or owned an auto. Rarely rode in one. Horses or he stayed home. (1876-- 1959) .