What??? No handheld radio???

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Aerowerx

I was watching an episode of Airplane Repo, this morning.

They repossessed some twin engine prop plane. It was at night. All the radios and nav equipment had been removed and they had minimal fuel.

The pilot used his automotive GPS to find the next nearest airport. Then called the tower on his cell phone so they would turn on the runway lights. Of course he had to argue with the tower about why was he calling on a cell phone requesting runway lights.

I thought those guys were prepared for any contingency. Why not a handheld radio in his flight bag?

And only an automotive GPS???

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
They repossessed some twin engine prop plane. It was at night. All the radios and nav equipment had been removed and they had minimal fuel.
The pilot used his automotive GPS to find the next nearest airport. .... Why not a handheld radio in his flight bag?

And they had the cameras rolling. Is there ANY chance that not having a radio, having to cajole the tower to turn on the lights, and using an auto GPS just made for better TV?

Most of r"eality' TV is just BS.

Riggerrob

Hah!
Hah!
A friend was at Lodi when they filmed the Twin Otter repossession.
He said that the initial greeting was accurate.

Derswede

I got a laugh out of the one where they repo'ed a 172 or a 182 and the angry ex-owner was banging away at them with a 9mm pistol!!

Hollywood!!

Derswede
(every time I watch TV, my brain hurts for some reason....!)

TFF

One guy repoed two of his own airplanes from himself, and one time they just happen to find a guy type with some rare rating That was willing to just happen to help. It’s for non airplane people. The problem with airplane shows is there is almost no crossover. Only airplane people watch. Who can’t you fool? Airplane people.

Topaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
"Reality" television is anything but.

A production company did a dating show episode at my soaring club several years ago. Everything was scripted, or planned in advance of the actual shot. We didn't have an SGS 2-32 (three-seat) glider at the time, so we took the "happy" prospective couple (who couldn't stand each other - she didn't like him, and he was too arrogant to be bothered by anything except how his hair looked on TV) up in two SGS 2-33 gliders at the same time, with hand-held radios with which to talk to each other and a little HD camera pointed at their faces in the front cockpits. After shooting was nearly wrapped and the girl had already left the airport, it was discovered that the camera in his glider hadn't been working properly. So they fixed a new camera into the glider, stuffed him in the front cockpit with our pilot in the back, and re-did his scenes and dialog (supposed to be talking with her, in the other glider, if you'll recall), all while the glider was on the ground and several of us were rocking the wings on-cue to give the requisite "motion." Camera was angled so that the ground didn't show. They used the audio from his previous "take" as a script to make sure he said the same things this second time, since she was long gone at this point.

Don't believe reality shows. There's no "reality" in them at all.

Pops

Log Member
I was ask to repo a local Cessna and fly it back to Kansas one time. NO thanks.
I'm a redneck from WV, but I'm not plumb dumb.

TFF

A friend repoed a Cessna 150 from a tree surrounded grass strip. He had a buddy with him. When they got in the plane he told the buddy to hold the toolbox in his lap. He said if it looks like we aren’t going to make it, toss the box out to lighten us up. It’s the only time he ever did it. He did use to ferry twins and turbines without a pilots license until his boss tricked him into getting a license. Another story.

Tiger Tim

I thought those guys were prepared for any contingency.
I watched an episode where the repo man had to go on a two day snowshoe trek to get to get a Super Cub, then have to prop start it because the battery was dead. All the while the narrator is saying that if he can’t get it started he has no other way out and no supplies. Cut to the plane starting up and a very theatrical takeoff, flyby, then the Cub flying away. I guess the camera crew was left to perish: the ultimate sacrifice for good TV.

I don’t think those shows are real.

Daleandee

Aerowerx, I'm afraid I have some bad news for you about "reality TV"... and that unfortunately includes the Evening News.
I quit watching TV a few years ago. Once in a blue moon I'll watch the local news but even that seems to be people trying to pump up a story for ratings. Crazy the way they can make a little rain from a tropical depression something you need to run into the hurricane shelter for and come out three days later. If I'm really bored (don't happen often) I might turn on some old shows from "back in the day" or watch my favorite black & white movie with Joanne Woodward called "The Three Faces of Eve."

I did sit with the wife a few nights ago and finally got around to watching "Sully" the movie as we had been to see the aircraft while vacationing in Charlotte last year. Pretty good over all.

As for the news and all the talking heads that go with it ... turn it off for a week and you will feel so much better that you may not ever turn it back on! At least that's what happened to me!

Aerowerx

As for the news and all the talking heads that go with it ... turn it off for a week and you will feel so much better that you may not ever turn it back on! At least that's what happened to me!
I rarely read a newspaper. If I do I always turn first to the comics section. It is the only part that is believable.😄

Doran Jaffas

I was watching an episode of Airplane Repo, this morning.

The pilot used his automotive GPS to find the next nearest airport. Then called the tower on his cell phone so they would turn on the runway lights. Of course he had to argue with the tower about why was he calling on a cell phone requesting runway lights.

I thought those guys were prepared for any contingency. Why not a handheld radio in his flight bag?

If you've spoken to anyone that repossess airplanes that I have those guys are a joke on that TV show. most companies or individuals willingly surrender their aircraft to avoid the legal hassles and the debt that comes with repossession.
Star wars is more realistic. And at least that is entertainment extraordinaire!

Pilot-34

The show has been thoroughly debunked by plenty of people caught up in its production. It appears virtually every point of drama came directly from the show runners' imaginations, and barely even bore resemblance to actual events any more than Gilligan's Island, according to a quote from one participant.
Wait wait you mean I can quit building my “Gilligans island rescue 1” Long range seaplane ?
How will I meet Dawn Wells without it?