What is your biggest gripe about your hangar?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

964SS

HBA Supporter
My biggest gripe is paying lease on the land and property taxes with the idea they can grab it back anytime.
They do that, I burn it down.
Other than that, I love my 40’x60’ man cave hangar!

964SS

HBA Supporter
Yep. That’s when I burn it down, when it reverts to them.
The Reversion Clause...

What the heck is a reversion clause you
Built my house and hanger in 1998. Hanger is across the driveway from the house. It was a Miracle Truss building kit including the 42' bi-fold door. In the 23 years the bi-fold door is opened most every day except on cold winter days and I had to replace the seal on the bottom of the door last year and being cable operated, a set of cables last about 5 or 6 years. Last year the electric motor died and had to be replaced. My 48'x60' hanger is insulated and the concrete floor and footer and piers are insulated on the outside down about 30"in the ground. Have hot water heating tubes in the floor and a NG boiler, and also a force air NA furnace and AC for the hanger and a separate AC for the office and bathroom in the right rear corner. Paint booth in the left rear corner.
Also have a wood burning stove in the setting area for the cold,snowy winter days and napping on the couch if Dallas doesn't beat me to it. :)
My daughter and dallas has the Hi-Fold brand of door, and I like it better in some ways and not in other ways. The aluminum bi-fold doors are nice but costly. The coldest I have seen the inside of the hanger without any heat on is 50 deg when it was below zero outside. The heat of the ground under the concrete floor (53 degs) helps with the heating. My NG bill for heating the 3000 sq' hanger and the 2400 sq' house just went up to 80 dollars a month. NG well is about 300' from the house and hanger beside the runway.

Added-- Before buying land here, I was thinking of building a hanger at the county airport. By the contract, in 20 years they would own it. No way.
say? Well, here at KRST (Rochester, Minnesota), where we are trying to renegotiate our land lease, our airport manager is insisting on a reversion clause - a clause in the contract that causes the ownership of the hangar to revert to the airport at the end of the lease.

Yup, you read that right... at the end of the lease, the hangar no longer belongs to me, it belongs to the airport(!)

And lest you believe this is unique to KRST ... I've been working closely with AOPA legal, who tells me that yup, that's standard across the country, and that if I fight it I'll most certainly loose.

THAT's the thing I don't like for my hangar!

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
You have absolute ownership of your auto, airplane, clothes, furniture, camper, etc. ( look up Absolute Ownership and Provisional Ownership in Blacks Law dictionary) If you don't pay the taxes on absolute ownership, they don't take it and sell it to someone else. Not so with land since 1933. You just have Provisional Ownership of land and everything attached to it including your hanger.
Not much difference than rent, except you can transfer the Provisional Ownership to someone else while you are paying the taxes.

Not political. Its law that applies to your airplane and hanger. No different than the FAA FAR's.

Lynk Aviation

My wife is talking about moving, and nowhere we're looking at has hangars available. So I might end up having to put one up...this thread is coming in handy.

What do folks do security-wise? I might end up at a small airport with little restrictions for people coming by. Are you putting in alarms, or....?

Ron Wanttaja
As a company, we actually handle hangar security and automation using cellular connection so you don't need WiFi you can see a little more about us at Lynk Remote Technologies

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
I'm more .45. I leave the 9mm to the wife.

Reactions: BJC

Wanttaja

I’m partial to my .40 S&W. Most others rely on their 9 mm’s, and some of the ladies are partial to their .380’s. We all have a variety of intermediate and long range options that are ready.
"Long Range," as in four-five miles away? Isn't a .40 a little light for that? :)

.50 cal is better for that range... the Taiwanese snipe between islands, using them. Here's a shot of me in the sand dunes of North Dakota, in the mid-'70s.
jeep.jpg

Ron Wanttaja

dwalker

HBA Supporter
I got very lucky with hangars. Our TN airport built some all metal bifold door hangars about 12 years ago and sold them to private owners. I bought a 40 by 40 as second owner then last year traded it for one of the all metal Tee hangars the city built at same time as the others. Ended up with less than 20k total investment in all metal tee hangar with bifold doors.View attachment 117223View attachment 117223
Where are you in TN?

BJC

HBA Supporter
.50 cal is better for that range... the Taiwanese snipe between islands, using them. Here's a shot of me in the sand dunes of North Dakota, in the mid-'70s.
Naw, the .40 S&W is for close-in work. The longer range needs are met by a .223, a .243, or a .30-06.

That half-incher looks like fun, but isn’t it just a little “overkill” for ND antelope?

BJC

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
Where are you in TN?
He's in Moore County, not far from KTHA. That's where his hangar is. I'm in the airpark at KTHA. I think we've got another local member here too, but don't remember who that is off the top of my head right now.

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
My two biggest hangar gripes is that there are not enough planes in mine, and there is not a hangar big enough for all the planes I would like to have. 😁
We all have that complaint.

bmcj

HBA Supporter
There is no perfect door. They all have the + and -.
I kind of like HIGHER POWER DOORS. They are quick (hydraulic powered), sturdy, self-supported by the uprights (balanced and over-centered), and easier to seal. Also, it doesn’t take a big bite out of the vertical space (only about 6 inches) and the bottom few inches of travel is vertical, so it doesn’t scrape the bottom seal against the concrete.

I have never liked the bifold doors… you are trusting your life to afew cables that see a lot of wear. They are also slow and noisy and if you open it too much it might overcenter and jam. I’ve seen more than one cable bifold doors jam and jump the guides by uneven cable pull, and I’ve seen the cantilever design loads cause plaster cracking near the top of the rails because it flexes the rails.
Higher Power Doors will make your door to your size specs and ship it to you with all of the engineering done to support itself even in winds up to 110 mph. Best of all, they are very nice people and willing to help you whenever you call.

Last edited:

dwalker

HBA Supporter
He's in Moore County, not far from KTHA. That's where his hangar is. I'm in the airpark at KTHA. I think we've got another local member here too, but don't remember who that is off the top of my head right now.
Is your airpark paved? I am just about resigned to looking for an airpark property but would need a paved strip, and everything I can find close to me is grass.

rv7charlie

Lifetime Supporter
Is your airpark paved? I am just about resigned to looking for an airpark property but would need a paved strip, and everything I can find close to me is grass.
Yep. Remember our exchanges on your time builder thread? That's one of the reasons I moved away from canard envy, though a well maintained grass strip can work for something like a Velocity; I know of one based at a grass strip.

I ended up here. My house note & runway dues initially were less than a lot of people pay for T hangar rent. Now it's just $300/year in runway dues, but I do have to mow my share of grass....

dwalker

HBA Supporter
Yep. Remember our exchanges on your time builder thread? That's one of the reasons I moved away from canard envy, though a well maintained grass strip can work for something like a Velocity; I know of one based at a grass strip.

I ended up here. My house note & runway dues initially were less than a lot of people pay for T hangar rent. Now it's just $300/year in runway dues, but I do have to mow my share of grass....

I am looking down the road here. I CAN operate the D-Fly off a grass strip on its taildragger gear, but not the L-EZ etc. I spoke with a Velocity driver this weekend and he is moving to NC because hangar life here is killing him- its not close to his home- probably an hour each way or more depending on traffic, the rent is high, its in Class C right against Nashville's Class D airspace, and he is finding it tough to fly off his 40. I think he is at 8 or 9 hours total. Unfortunately with the destruction of John Tune and the very slow rebuilding process, that is the closest hangar available to him. He has looked for airparks that he can buy or buy and build on, but again, in this area they are all grass strips.
I told my wife as we drove around Sunday that I am sorely tempted to buy 150-200 acres of pasture, pave in a runway and start building and selling plots and homes with hangars and barndominiums just to solve my own problem.

Also, you are barely a hop skip and jump from me at KMBT.

Vigilant1

Lifetime Supporter
I told my wife as we drove around Sunday that I am sorely tempted to buy 150-200 acres of pasture, pave in a runway and start building and selling plots and homes with hangars and barndominiums just to solve my own problem.
If interest rates head up, this might be seen as a good time when viewed in retrospect.
I wonder if there's a way to do it that protects your interests. I've heard stories of folks that did this, then years later the residents/owners voted in rules that made the place undesirable to the guy who first took the risk and built it.

rv7charlie

Lifetime Supporter
There are ways around that, but a project that size can become your whole life, instead of just a means to an end.

Reactions: BJC